Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Sandy Munro is currently doing a tear down of the Model S Plaid on his Munro Live YT Channel.

He hasn't posted the motor teardown yet but should be soon given his comments here.

Can't wait! It's what I've been waiting for!

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I said this would happen when the Plaid motor came out, simply because they have optimised the performance, size, cost and manufacturing to such a degree there is little to no cost benefit doing it with a older model motor.

Can't wait to see the tear down!

Albern

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Volt, 202X Cybertruck Plaid+ (x2)
Country flag
That Rotor!!!!!?
Yeah, I've never seen a rotor shaped like that before!!! I'm curious as to how it was carbon fiber wrapped. :unsure:

The Monroe video on the Plaid motors will be out on Friday.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I’ve been anxiously awaiting the motor tear down. One thing that surprised me in this impromptu preview is I thought the motors were introduced as carbon fiber wrapped INDUCTION motors. From the preview it’s pretty clear they are permanent magnet motors.

FYI munrolive.com is selling laminates from one of the motors. Limited supply.

(Edit: Fixed spelling error)

Last edited:

Albern

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Volt, 202X Cybertruck Plaid+ (x2)
Country flag
I’ve been anxiously awaiting the motor tear down. One thing that surprised me in this impromptu preview is I thought the motors were introduced as carbon fiber wrapped INDUCTION motors. From the preview it’s pretty clear they are permanent magnet motors.

FYI munrolive.com is selling laminents from one of the motors. Limited supply.
Good point, I had to look up the motor configurations again. Looks like all 3 motors of the Tri-Motor Plaids are PM synchronous AC motors:

" It's the first Tesla powered by three electric motors, two at the rear and a third at the front axle, all of them now permanent-magnet synchronous AC machines. New in the Plaid are carbon-fiber-sleeved rotors (just like it sounds, that's the spinning part of the motor). The carbon-fiber shell holds each rotor together to enable rotational speeds of up to 20,000 rpm, about 25 percent faster than before."

It make more sense why the dual-motor vehicles are the long-range variants because of an induction motor up front, along with a PM motor in the rear (something else I was looking into), with the ability to run the front motor at sustained constant speed for greater efficiency.

Source: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a38423992/2021-tesla-model-s-plaid-by-the-numbers/

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I said this would happen when the Plaid motor came out, simply because they have optimised the performance, size, cost and manufacturing to such a degree there is little to no cost benefit doing it with a older model motor.

Can't wait to see the tear down!
The motors alone on the Cybertruck will put GMC Hummer EV, Ford F-150 Lighting, Chevrolet Silverado EV, GMC Sierra EV to SHAME!!!

Cybertruck will be worth the wait!

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Who has got some links to pictures of the teardown?

Deleted member 12457

FYI munrolive.com is selling laminents from one of the motors. Limited supply.
https://munrolive.com/support-/-store/ols/products/model-s-plaid-motor-rotor-laminate $100, short supply, can also get Sandy to sign it for an additional $50.
Sponsored