Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Looks like the class of motorcycle which is both uncomfortable to drive, uncomfortable to be around due to noise, not particularly fast, don’t handle well, unpleasant on long trips, and somehow loved by the people who drive short distances on them.
Yeah, but you have to admit they do look cool.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Yeah, but you have to admit they do look cool.
I live on a country highway. I also ride (pedal) bikes and end up on the side of roads with no hearing protection 5 feet away from traffic. I like outdoor eating and dining as well.

Noise pollution is extremely frustrating. When people go out of their to deliberately tune their vehicle to be loud it pisses me off. I have such a deep hatred of that practice that everything associated with those bikes just makes me see “Asshole”.

So no. I don’t think they are cool looking.

Likewise trucks and rice rockets that are deliberately tuned to be overly loud.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
While we were getting tacos, my spouse counted the number of motorcycles that were engine-braking up to the stop light. It's only slightly up a hill, so there's literally no reason to rev unless you need to filter.

9/10 motorcycles still did it, though. 0/10 needed to filter or sit in traffic (they all stopped at the light).

-Crissa

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
While we were getting tacos, my spouse counted the number of motorcycles that were engine-braking up to the stop light. It's only slightly up a hill, so there's literally no reason to rev unless you need to filter.

9/10 motorcycles still did it, though. 0/10 needed to filter or sit in traffic (they all stopped at the light).

-Crissa
Engine breaking on two stroke vintage Vespas with auto lube carbs(1978-mid 90s p/px) is necessary. Coasting in neutral downhill or fast speeds is no good for the top end. Lubrication is based on rpm as the oiler gear which defines the amount of lubrication mixed into the gas is directly attached to the throttle on the carb. You can get yourself into a situation where your coasting at high speed which needs higher flow of two stroke oil but you are getting oil flow for idle rpms. Boom!

Hence at least on my Vespas.. Engine breaking is always necessary and appropriate habit for the long term functionality of your engine and wallet.

And two stroke engines are loud no matter how much you try to quiet them down. Stock exhaust or not. So unless you want to blanket ban the use of perfectly safe and unintentionally loud legal vehicles (which at this time vehicles that are legal regarding requirements at the time of manufacture and sale are grandfathered in and legal now), then there will always be an occasionally loud vehicle. Good thing for ogre though is unfortunately very few people give a crap about vintage Vespas anymore so they will and have been disappearing.

I 100% agree about those idiots who buy tiny sedans to promptly remove the exhaust and basically run exhaust less.. With a pipe intentionally popping and misfiring like a gun down the street. Fortunately for us, they are rapidly destroying their engines while governments are imposing fines on that crap.

At least we can revel in the amount of money they are wasting destroying their engines.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/m7avx3/cars-loud-engines-why

this is why I don't drive my Vespas after dark or early am, and am looking for an ev motorcycle for commuting.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Engine breaking on two stroke vintage Vespas with auto lube carbs(1978-mid 90s p/px) is necessary. Coasting in neutral downhill or fast speeds is no good...
Right, so revving the motor is not necessary. My spouse rode her Ducati to the taco shop, I think she knows.

At least we can revel in the amount of money they are wasting destroying their engines.
So true.

-Crissa

RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model 3 SR, CT on order
Country flag
Ok…. Not a fan of crotch rockets either. But at least they handle well and are ridiculously fast. Most bikes like the one in your picture handle like crap at speed.

I’m pretty sure a big part of Harley culture is embracing your inner asshole. Harley owners don’t care that their bikes annoy the hell out of everyone around them. In fact, they seem to relish it.

You can’t annoy people with the sound of an EV. So they just don’t appeal to Harley buyers.

I suspect the HD line will be one of the last ICE brands for this reason alone.
The Livewire team designed one of my favorite ebikes (see below). It's not for off road but it is a great bike for 40 mile trail rides. HD seems to understand the the end is nigh for ICE and they are making some serious moves in that direction. Good for them and I'd like a Livewire but honestly prefer the Zero from a price/performance standpoint. As far a looks go motorcycles, like cars all pretty much all look alike these days.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck's folding mid gate and roll-down rear window confirmed! The Y,3 and Ho

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The Livewire team designed one of my favorite ebikes (see below). It's not for off road but it is a great bike for 40 mile trail rides. HD seems to understand the the end is nigh for ICE and they are making some serious moves in that direction. Good for them and I'd like a Livewire but honestly prefer the Zero from a price/performance standpoint. As far a looks go motorcycles, like cars all pretty much all look alike these days.
That bike would not be fun for riding 40 miles of the sort of trails I ride!

That bike looks perfect for grocery getting though.

My grumbling aside. HD has a brand a lot of people love. With good leadership, they have a pretty fair chance of getting through this crazy intact but transformed.

RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model 3 SR, CT on order
Country flag
Harley riders are usually cool. For Tesla owners the real assholes are the coal dusters. If I only had a friggen laser beam on the top of my Tesla ...
Sponsored