WILL THE REAR WINDOW ROLL DOWN?

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Don’t forget that bulletproof glass EVERYONE wants! Another 10k bump
Factory installed 9mm bulletproof glass option for Cybertruck is well worth $10K.
I would pay $10K immediately.
At $10K I would order this option for all 5 of my Cybertruck reservations.
Sponsored

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
And I believe they have baked the 3mm SS into the crash protection, and structure, and all other manners of design, and end the end, made it safer. It’s not about withstanding a 9mm at distance, it’s about how strong the CT is, and how well it will last, and the abuse it will take.
But don't all the other trucks have good crash protection with the way they already build them? Isn't the idea to have crumple zones to absorb all the impact and limit it as much as possible to the passenger area? Stronger front quarter panels do not seem to do that (most conjecture is they'll have to score them on the inside). The front casting is where the crumble zone is it would seem.

Butterz

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
Exactly. That’s why I have always owned full size SUV’s for my surf / fish / weekender vehicles and not a truck Or small SUV. Even my GL450 can fit two 9’ longboards and a short board inside and my Model S will fit my mid-length boards inside that likely won’t even fit in the bed of a cybertruck. Racks are always an option but many of us bring a couple boards (or several expensive 8’ fishing rods, etc.) which you can’t leave on the racks or when even doing short surf/fish trips and stopping for lunch youre always checking on the boards, rods, etc. I think Tesla may have underestimated how many prospective buyers could be weighing this feature heavily in deciding on a purchase. Im thinking some kind of shell could be a workaround but would be much easier if the window rolled down.
I was just thinking about the rear window the other day and couldn’t find any new info. I’ve been putting my boards on top of my 3 and S for the past few years with the locking rack since I surf before and after work. Earlier this year someone cut the cables and took two boards. One was brand new :(.

Tesla Cybertruck WILL THE REAR WINDOW ROLL DOWN? IMG_0537

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
But don't all the other trucks have good crash protection with the way they already build them? Isn't the idea to have crumple zones to absorb all the impact and limit it as much as possible to the passenger area? Stronger front quarter panels do not seem to do that (most conjecture is they'll have to score them on the inside). The front casting is where the crumble zone is it would seem.
Sure, the others have “good”. Look at all the Teslas crash safety ratings, none of them are just “good”. And there are many ways to achieve a crumple zone. I’m just saying I believe the 3mm SS is part of their solution. And the SS won’t need to be scored, it’s 3mm. not 30mm. There are crush cans up there before you get to the castings on the other models. The point is, don’t look at the Tommy gun exercise and crab walk as the be all features of the SS and 4WS, look deeper. See that bigger picture.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
Sure, the others have “good”. Look at all the Teslas crash safety ratings, none of them are just “good”. And there are many ways to achieve a crumple zone. I’m just saying I believe the 3mm SS is part of their solution. And the SS won’t need to be scored, it’s 3mm. not 30mm. There are crush cans up there before you get to the castings on the other models. The point is, don’t look at the Tommy gun exercise and crab walk as the be all features of the SS and 4WS, look deeper. See that bigger picture.
IIHS rates highest as Good
NHTSA rates highest as 5 stars

It will certainly be interesting to see the crash results. If the SS is not scored then hitting something "head on" may make that SS slice its way through something or someone.

Believe you me ... I'm aware of car safety aspect as I was in an accident in my '16 TMX. I'm happy my kid and their spouse are driving Teslas too. Another kids drives a highly rated car. I think SS was still an Elon whim that the are "making" work. Yes, good for avoiding door dings and rust.

The Ford didn't get to be the best selling for several decade without better safety revised over and over.
https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2019/03/21/ford-f-150-iihs-good-ratings.html
"This follows testing by National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that awarded F-150 crew cab a five-star overall vehicle score and a five-star rating for driver and passenger for all crash test modes"
AND
The Ford F-150 was the only pickup in its class to earn five stars, the governemnt's top safety rating, following two frontal crash tests, the NHTSA said Thursday.
https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna4508259

Similar for the Chevrolet Silverado 1500
https://www.google.com/search?q=star+crash+safety+ratings+of+chevrolet+Silverado+1500

Last edited:

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Ok, I want to call a time out and throw a reality check in here.

All these ”features” that everyone likes to say they can do without, aren’t the actual features. Tesla has a definite mission, to move the world to EVs, and to make cars safer. EM himself said (with great pride) no one to date, has died in a Tesla from heat. And look at Dog mode, all there for the protection of whatever is left in the car. So what are these “features”?

4WS. This is a SAFETY feature, that brings with it other added benefits. At freeway speeds, a large vehicle can quickly get out of control in a high speed evasive maneuver. Modern ICE SUVs are famous for roll-over accidents. 4WS greatly reduces this problem and WILL prevent accidents. To a lesser degree, large vehicles are involved in accidents in town with U-turns becoming 3 point turns in busy intersections. 4WS will prevent these as well. Accidents while towing trailers happen all the time as a result of trailer sway getting out of hand. 4WS will stop much of that as well. (I know, load the trailer right in the first place and you fix the problem as well.) So while you might have fun with crab walk or really tight parking jobs, there is a safety reason for 4WS. Comments about how this is just a waste of money and a stupid gimmick are somewhat myopic and just plain wrong.

Bulletproof and Arrowproof. Yes, Elon has said that is “bad-ass” to have. And there has been much discussion about lightening the CT by using something else. But the fact remains that the 3mm SS is part of the design. Change one thing, you have to change something else. When the roll-over spy photos came out, no one said “it would have faired better with 2mm SS.“ And I believe they have baked the 3mm SS into the crash protection, and structure, and all other manners of design, and end the end, made it safer. It’s not about withstanding a 9mm at distance, it’s about how strong the CT is, and how well it will last, and the abuse it will take. And the design (Let’s call it the Exo-Uni-NonFrame-kindaFuselageLike-NearCrab-body construction) is moving weight outward and it appears is saving some weight. It ain’t about playing cowboys and indigenous previous land holders.

There is a safety case for most of what is on the CT, don’t stop at just the interwebthing discussion about the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune and taking arms and floating on a Sea of troubles.

Or, just go buy the same old crap that’s been out there for 100 years, and been warmed over and served over and over every year…
While we're playing the reality check game can we stop acting like we know Teslas intentions for adding specific features?

The soap box lectures about the mission to transition to sustainable transportation is so played out. Yes, that's the mission. Does 4ws provide any actual impact to that mission? Unknown, but also unlikely. The mere fact that this truck has a giant battery underneath it already lowers the rollover rate, go look at model X rollover videos. The turn radius might be something people consider, but I don't know one person who has ever said "I'm buying this vehicle over that one because it has a better trun radius" who are you trying to convince?

If we are really talking about trying to convert more people then we are talking about lowering the price. Every $5k lowered doubles the amount of people who can afford it. Adding 4ws raises the price compared to not having it.

True mass market needs to focus on the needs of the masses. People towing at high speed aren't the masses. Yes obviously it's important for a truck to do but improving on it isn't a necessity to accomplish the mission.

My understanding of the size of the 3mm stainless was for a true exoskeleton and not a body of armor. And realistically, I never said there was anything wrong with the thickness nor did I say that was a waste of money. Probably worth re-reading my post because I said that while I don't care about the bullet resistance, I do care about the durability and rust resistance. (Basically saying that having the SS matter, but not for the reasons they're hyping) you're literally agreeing with me lol.

4ws is literally some of that old crap that's been out there for 100 years.... Sooo..

When did everyone become the opinion police on here? We get it, you like Tesla. So do the rest of us. (some haters excluded).

Elon adds stuff because it's cool. Which he has said many times. Not because he's playing 4D chess.

At the end of the day. We all could've lived without the 4WS. Which is exactly what my point was and is indicated by the hundreds of thousands of preorders that came in before it was announced. Don't bunch me in with the people acting like they are mad that features exist.

CYBRSMTH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
Country flag
Being a surfer and saltwater fisherman I was anxiously awaiting to see if there would be a pass-thru between the cab and bed to be able to fit longer surfboards and fishing rods over 8’ when you want to lock them up, travel, etc. While is looks like this will not be in the design I was wondering if there has been any evidence that that the rear window will roll down. Has any of the early recon been able to verify this?
Sadly I do not think the window will roll down. The area below the window is where the tonneau cover is stored. I don’t think they can cram the window and the components to roll it down into the same space. Just my opinion though based on the scrap CT and mock ups. I’d love to be wrong, especially for people wanting to camp in the back and use the HVAC.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
IIHS rates highest as Good
NHTSA rates highest as 5 stars

It will certainly be interesting to see the crash results. If the SS is not scored then hitting something "head on" may make that SS slice its way through something or someone.

Believe you me ... I'm aware of car safety aspect as I was in an accident in my '16 TMX. I'm happy my kid and their spouse are driving Teslas too. Another kids drives a highly rated car. I think SS was still an Elon whim that the are "making" work. Yes, good for avoiding door dings and rust.

The Ford didn't get to be the best selling for several decade without better safety revised over and over.
https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2019/03/21/ford-f-150-iihs-good-ratings.html
"This follows testing by National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that awarded F-150 crew cab a five-star overall vehicle score and a five-star rating for driver and passenger for all crash test modes"
AND
The Ford F-150 was the only pickup in its class to earn five stars, the governemnt's top safety rating, following two frontal crash tests, the NHTSA said Thursday.
https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna4508259

Similar for the Chevrolet Silverado 1500
https://www.google.com/search?q=star+crash+safety+ratings+of+chevrolet+Silverado+1500
I was first on the scene when an Audi A4 T-boned a Ford at <30 mph. The door folded up like a cheap suit. The roof wrinkled. The A4 didn't even need to get the radiator replaced. The A4 front bumper was toast, no headlights, front quarter panel and hood were replacement items, But overall, it faired much better than the big Ford.

And as for the CT quarter panels slicing into anything, I say no way. They aren't perfectly straight, and even if they were, you would have to apply perfectly perpendicular force throughout the impact. That just ain't gonna happen. Watch a crash test and you see twisting and deflection and changes in inclination as stuff bounces around.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag

wtibbit

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes sedan, Corvette coupe, Yukon XL
Occupation
Retired Engineering Program Director
Country flag
No. Rear window doesn’t roll down, no HVAC in vault, and no midgate
I wouldn't pay a lot extra for a roll down window, but once in a while I'll need to haul some pvc or molding or such that is thin and flexible and 8 ft long.

Windows break, so the rear window design must allow it to be replaced. So, It can be removed and replaced with an easily removed/installed version whenever one becomes available. Eventually, probably, one of the aftermarket suppliers will offer an easily removed window. If that doesn't happen soon enough, I'll work up a DIY version for myself.

Here's an aftermarket supplier of removable pickup truck windows (who understands their core buyers' mindset): https://breezerwindows.com/

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I wouldn't pay a lot extra for a roll down window, but once in a while I'll need to haul some pvc or molding or such that is thin and flexible and 8 ft long.

Windows break, so the rear window design must allow it to be replaced. So, It can be removed and replaced with an easily removed/installed version whenever one becomes available. Eventually, probably, one of the aftermarket suppliers will offer an easily removed window. If that doesn't happen soon enough, I'll work up a DIY version for myself.

Here's an aftermarket supplier of removable pickup truck windows (who understands their core buyers' mindset): https://breezerwindows.com/
rolldown rear was a wish list item for sure

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
While we're playing the reality check game can we stop acting like we know Teslas intentions for adding specific features?

The soap box lectures about the mission to transition to sustainable transportation is so played out.
When did everyone become the opinion police on here?
So, you have determined that discussing the mission is played out, but you're complaining about opinion police? Do you see the inconsistency here? I mean, really???

Gurule, I'm sorry, I just quoted you and I had a lot of other messages I've seen in mind. My bad for not making that point. Without it, I see it appears to all be directed at you, and it certainly was not.

I do feel you're wrong when you say I like Tesla. It's not the company I like. It's not even their mission. Heck, I don't care about going to Mars. And Elon and I don't see entirely eye to eye on a few environmental issues. Not throwing shade in any direction, he has his, I have mine, you have yours, and so does everyone else. I can disagree and still respect others' opinions. I like the way Tesla does business. If Ford did business that way, I'd like the way Ford did business, but they don't. I'm far from a fanboy, but I've been around the block enough times to see when something new and better is out there.

If you want, rewatch the CT initial announcement. The SS was never intended to be a "true exoskeleton". He says he wants to push the support to the outside, like an aircraft. And that's what they did. Doesn't matter what you call it. They moved away from a body on frame, and moved things outside. Good enough for me, and I don't care what the marketing department calls it.

Yep 4WS has been around a long time. So have computers. (80+ years), but today's implementation of both is a far cry from what they started with on either side. The legacy trucks have moved further and further into weight savings in the body and bed. They have to in order to meet MPG minimums for their makers. Remember the ads where they dropped a load of gravel into a truck bed and the aluminum one split in different areas due to the impact? Now we are seeing things go full circle with tough skin on a truck.

I never said anyone was playing 3D, 4D, or even 2D chess. I was just pointing out the impact of their additions were consistent with their touted goals. And they are. And yes, the battery pack makes a roll over harder. But an evasive maneuver at 65 or 80 mph is exponentially more dangerous than the <30 mph side slide into the sand in a MY. And in the event you do get it to roll, having that much mass going that far over the top is going to want to continue over. If you can, find a 4WS demo on evasive manners at speed. I think you (just like everyone else that does it) will be amazed. Finally, it's not just roll over you're worried about, it's the loss of traction by the rear end. And once you lose the rear end, it's darn hard to get it back.

Again, I'm sorry it looked like the whole thing was directed at you. That wasn't the case and that's on me.

Yes, there are a few things on the CT that are there for kicks. That is one of the things I like about how Tesla does business. I don't think there is a ton of crap on there that costs thousands of dollars that serves no purpose beyond the cool factor. So whether I would ever need it or not, a few hundred dollars difference in the price is worth it to me.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag