Daddystired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Since the unveiling of the cybertruck it has come to my thoughts and memories that Tesla is going to release a single motor (standard range) dual motor (long range) tri motor (long range and performance) and quad motor (plaid version)
When looking at tesla website. There is simply no way all 4 options will happen. There will either be 2-3 option only. The 3 and Y have three options. The S and X have 2 options only. I feel like Tesla will only offer 2 options for the cyber truck.
long range and performance only.
So, I ask. Which do you guys think.
(I don’t want the let’s wait and see replies) lol
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Well, it depends.

It depends on how many trucks Tesla is selling total - the more trucks, the higher chance for more choices.

You're right, Tesla usually sticks to keeping their variants of a model to be specialized in one of price, range, or performance.

But... They do offer some varaints - like the three rows models - off and on. And over time, variants come and go.

So while at any one time there are 2-3 variants, there may be more over time or as hidden menu options. Or like the Model 3 the Cybertruck may spark a line and get its own Model Y like sibling that shares more parts.

-Crissa

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
There will ever only be one Cybertruck. The original launch version Cybertruck.

There will be no copycats like the Corvette has been iterated upon by other OEM’s into a whole Hypercar genre. Cyber guarantees whatever special sauce Tesla Easter Eggs’ into those Gen1 Cybertrucks will be priceless, unreproducible and identify them as the original – timeless.

Cyber is a category killer. Delivering trucks without any…?

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
the whole point is cheaper manufacturing. CT 1,2,3 all the same options save motors and i battery think.
maybe 1 will be awhile away :{

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
maybe 1 will be awhile away :{
CT1 is interesting. EM wants to sell CT4: most expensive.
/////////// sidebar \\\\\\\\\\\
VW made shitboxes everyone could afford, loved and many died in them. AUDI followed-on as VW upgrade path. AUDI Fox, first US atempt was poor quality, rust bucket and expensive. Both brands improved over time VW cars stopped killing owners, AUDI took the high-tech road. Today VW is likely a teenagers 1st car and AUDI their likely upgrade car.
\\\\\\\\\ end sidebar //////////
Cybertruck upended Ford F-150 at launch with CT1 $40,000USD.

Tesla skips over the entry-level CT1 focusing solely on the 1%(top4%) CT4; it abandons Tesla upgrade pathway into the brand as CT4, high end, traps the marque in a niches.
CT1 is important.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
it is, and they know it is, im sure

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
Well, it depends.

It depends on how many trucks Tesla is selling total - the more trucks, the higher chance for more choices.

You're right, Tesla usually sticks to keeping their variants of a model to be specialized in one of price, range, or performance.

But... They do offer some varaints - like the three rows models - off and on. And over time, variants come and go.

So while at any one time there are 2-3 variants, there may be more over time or as hidden menu options. Or like the Model 3 the Cybertruck may spark a line and get its own Model Y like sibling that shares more parts.

-Crissa
I agree as well. Trucks unlike cars have varying uses. A car is primary for transportation only. Trucks can be purchased for more specific needs with each having different requirements. In ICE terms if you are going to be pulling large loads for long distances, a diesel is your best choice. Yet, if you are just hauling materials a typical 8 foot bed might be a requirement. If you are an adventure type, 4x4 is a must with a fair amount of power and a high clearance. The list goes on and on. Assuming as Musk mentioned that the CT will be Tesla best yet, I see no reason why 3, 4 or even 5 variants are not possible over the long term.

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Since the unveiling of the cybertruck it has come to my thoughts and memories that Tesla is going to release a single motor (standard range) dual motor (long range) tri motor (long range and performance) and quad motor (plaid version)
When looking at tesla website. There is simply no way all 4 options will happen. There will either be 2-3 option only. The 3 and Y have three options. The S and X have 2 options only. I feel like Tesla will only offer 2 options for the cyber truck.
There will be only one option: dual motor - where everything else is included but it's software limited. That way every car is under $80k and qualifies for the tax credit, the build line (just one) is simple and efficient.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Trucks are a bit different than typical cars in that they are sold for a variety of purposes to very different customers. One basic vehicle can be optioned from a work truck/basic utility to all out luxury status symbol.

I think options will be limited at first, with there being an expensive performance Quad at first, with the more upscale mainstream Dual option coming later, toward the end of 2023. If there are two batteries, the big one will be with the quad, but I can see it being offered with the Dual later. There will be other options, but I think fundamental mechanical ones will be limited. 4-wheel steer might be, but I suspect it will be standard. Wheel options definitely. A possible performance pack and maybe an off-road pack. I do think the Single may eventually come in time to broaden the market.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
If there is a Plaid, I see it as superfast with higher end interior trims.

Elon has stated he doesn't like it when production looks nothing like beautiful prototypes. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens here.

Are we looking at the Italian Slate look dash and SS bed as standard?

I don't want my car looking like my mums kitchen lol

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
dunno....but you're not wrong..... the options will be few.

WA-CyberDriver

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck - Dual Motor
Country flag
Well, it depends.

-Crissa
That sounds like the secret menu at In/Out Burger... but for cars/cybertrucks.

Jstoltz54

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX450h, Model S
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I’m guessing the low end will be a downsized model appropriate for the Asian and European markets. 1 and 2 motor models, RWD and 4WD. Seems like a large-ish market.. The recent info on S Korean retail investments would be indicative as well as China influence and the narrow roads in Europe. Not for a while but before 2030 imo.

Halemarine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.halemarine.com
Vehicles
Model Y, Ford F150, Chevrolet Equinox
Country flag
There will be only one option: dual motor - where everything else is included but it's software limited. That way every car is under $80k and qualifies for the tax credit, the build line (just one) is simple and efficient.
I hope so
Sponsored