Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
5F781E3F-7026-4101-8AE3-57948CC2F2E4.jpeg

Notice the pillar’s similarity to the 2023 EJS teaser pic - Magneto 3.0?

Indeed. Ive been quite close to magneto 2. It is freaking crazy to see all 4 40” tires howl and smoke from a dead stop or to see it go up a 50* incline.
When I saw the new concept I instantly thought of a 2 door CT. I’ll always own at least one ultra capable 4x4 with removable doors. Was just wondering if anyone felt the same

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Indeed. Ive been quite close to magneto 2. It is freaking crazy to see all 4 40” tires howl and smoke from a dead stop or to see it go up a 50* incline.
When I saw the new concept I instantly thought of a 2 door CT. I’ll always own at least one ultra capable 4x4 with removable doors. Was just wondering if anyone felt the same
At that point I'd probably prefer an electric side by side. If you live in Utah they allow street legal side by sides.
The day is coming when manufacturers will produce an E-SXS. And it would be more capable than a Jeep, hopefully for less $$$$

Last edited:

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
At that point I'd probably prefer an electric side by side. If you live in Utah they allow street legal side by sides.
The day is coming when manufacturers will produce an E-SXS. And it would be more capable than a Jeep, hopefully for less $$$$
This got me thinking. Why doesn't Tesla build something like that with removable batteries to kick ass at BAJA!

OP
OP
SolarWizard

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
The day is coming when manufacturers will produce an E-SXS. And it would be more capable than a Jeep.
There are no sxs that get through rocks as well as a live axle jeep. Otherwise extreme cold and heat are both miserable in sxs nor is there any storage to go out for extended trips, whereas I can run doors off in the cold and still nearly melt my hands on a jeep wheel and seat heaters and theyve always had the best cabin heat.

The CT should be fast enough in the open desert to suit me but a sxs would crush it or a jeep in that terrain

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I’ll always own at least one ultra capable 4x4 with removable doors. Was just wondering if anyone felt the same
I feel the same with a (long) caveat:

probably the most surprising consequence of my transition from ICE to the Lightning is that I don’t know if I can ever be as excited again by an ICE vehicle.

I’ve always been a theoretical supporter of BEV, but not dogmatically against ICE on any principal strong enough to override my concurrent desire for a pickup (been my primary daily driver for nearly 30 years). But the Lightning meant I could have my cake and eat it too. So I did what I had to do to be one of the first probably 200 (retail) deliveries in the country.

But my original theoretical reasons for wanting a Lightning turned out to not even include what has since become my predominate compulsion for having a BEV: Getting in an ICE vehicle now feels like a sensory assault.

My sub-clinical OCD is now, when in an ICE vehicle, burdened by knowledge of the dirty machinery involved, the smells of engine, the sounds of the engine, transmission and exhaust, the tactile abrasiveness of the vibrations and clunks, the rollercoaster of gearing and torque oscillations.

And here’s the wild thing: I hear myself say those things and understand exactly how wacky and over-dramatic it sounds. I previously would have considered myself a bit of a novice gearhead having at points in my life built eg my own rigid chopper, been an assistant mechanic in a Harley shop (I.e., “shop b**ch”), owned many other impractical toys (lifted CJs, ‘62 MG Midget, etc., etc.).

But right or wrong through the Lightning I’ve been unexpectedly, quickly, and inadvertently sensitized to what for me is now the visceral assault of ICE vehicles. (Admittedly in my middle age I’ve also become generally more cranky about my senses.)

Anyway, all of which is to say: I’m at a point that as much as I see ICE toys I think are really cool and I appreciate, I’ve become far less excited about pulling out my wallet for any.

But show me an all electric 2dr, manual shift, scrambler on 40s with 800hp and 850 lb-ft of torque … and I lose all inhibitions

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
hopefully for less $$$$
I don’t know if you’ve priced good sxs but…

but do agree an all electric SXS that isn’t stupid expensive is a great idea

Haven’t followed the Volcon Stag in a while, but it was seemingly more than vaporwear … and pre-production MSRP over $110K USD

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
There are no sxs that get through rocks as well as a live axle jeep. Otherwise extreme cold and heat are both miserable in sxs nor is there any storage to go out for extended trips, whereas I can run doors off in the cold and still nearly melt my hands on a jeep wheel and seat heaters and theyve always had the best cabin heat.

The CT should be fast enough in the open desert to suit me but a sxs would crush it or a jeep in that terrain
I'm headed out to Sand Hollow next week. Side by Sides are soo much fun. I rented one from Mad Moose in October and didn't feel the need to do anything beyond the capabilities of one of these. These guys make a lot of great videos of that area.

Edit: Yes. Cvalue I have looked at the prices and they are far from cheap. And I agree anytime you're buying into new tech. The prices are HIGH. I can't imagine Jeep selling that Magneto E for less than $100,000 either.

Last edited:

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I can't imagine Jeep selling that Magneto E for less than $100,000 either.
No doubt

but at least for me that $100K would be far more justifiable than for the more limited use cases, insurability, and resilient resale value, compared to a $100K sxs - but maybe that’s only bc of relative state laws

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
No doubt

but at least for me that $100K would be far more justifiable than for the more limited use cases, insurability, and resilient resale value, compared to a $100K sxs - but maybe that’s only bc of relative state laws
That's part of the reason I like renting. Where I live So. Cal. near the coast, there aren't many use cases. And Cost Of Ownership is crazy for a toy I'd hardly use.

Last edited:

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
That's part of the reason I like renting. Where I live So. Cal. near the coast, there aren't many use cases. And Cost OF Ownership is crazy for a toy I'd hardly use.
as the old saying goes: “if it flies, floats, or [four-wheels]… rent it”

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
That's part of the reason I like renting. Where I live So. Cal. near the coast, there aren't many use cases. And Cost Of Ownership is crazy for a toy I'd hardly use.
Get it licensed as a Neighborhood Vehicle. No highway use, but perfect to get the groceries in or (well, for me, anyhow) getting to the beach and the movies.

That's what I use my Zero for.

-Crissa

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Get it licensed as a Neighborhood Vehicle. No highway use, but perfect to get the groceries in or (well, for me, anyhow) getting to the beach and the movies.

That's what I use my Zero for.

-Crissa
I didn't know there were designations like that. I see people operating golf carts at one unincorporated beach community near me all the time.

I read the DMV info and it's very limited. Can't be used on roadway with speed limit of 35mph. The main roads all around my home are 45mph and up to 55mph. So that wouldn't work. But also when I dug into the info, I came across this.

Modified/Altered NEVs/LSVs (CVC §21254)

If you modify or alter your NEV/LSV to go faster than 25 miles per hour, the vehicle no longer qualifies for the relaxed FMVSS established for NEV/LSVs. Your vehicle will be required to meet the same FMVSS established for passenger vehicles. Failure to comply with all necessary regulations may result in a citation.

So, there are use cases, but very limited.

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag

The old CJ series Jeeps didn't come with a good heater, I ripped everything out but the core and it still doesn't blow much. My wife made me put her door back on after a boulder wanted to get a little too friendly with her.