cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I definitely wonder about the category. ā€¦ Does Jeep stick around as this super niche brand which is going to be increasingly more expensive than something more mass market like the Cybertruck?
What is wild to me, though, is where the model ALREADY sits in the market and has for a long time

Iā€™ll never understand how the MAJORITY of jeeps sold are 4-doors, and with doors and hardtops that are essentially permanently attached by their owners, which amounts to a mid-sized SUV that is worst in that class on almost every metric.

not because the jeep is inherently bad, but because itā€™s still built instead as an embodiment of compromises - to make what is essentially a compact, fun, ruggedized ā€¦ golfcart-meets-dune-buggy-meets-go-kart-meets-crawler-meets-around-town-errand-runner, that manages to be pretty damn comfortable for an impractical toy

one of many indications that I donā€™t naturally understand the fat part of the consumer Bell curve

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
What is wild to me, though, is where the model ALREADY sits in the market and has for a long time

Iā€™ll never understand how the MAJORITY of jeeps sold are 4-doors, and with doors and hardtops that are essentially permanently attached by their owners, which amounts to a mid-sized SUV that is worst in that class on almost every metric.

not because the jeep is inherently bad, but because itā€™s still built instead as an embodiment of compromises - to make what is essentially a compact, fun, ruggedized ā€¦ golfcart-meets-dune-buggy-meets-go-kart-meets-crawler-meets-around-town-errand-runner, that manages to be pretty damn comfortable for an impractical toy

one of many indications that I donā€™t naturally understand the fat part of the consumer Bell curve
The Wrangler (and itā€™s descendants) has never been a practical consumer vehicle. The vast majority are sold by people who are willing to spend more money on an impractical vehicle because of how it makes them look.

Iā€™d argue that itā€™s not built out of compromises, but that itā€™s build for a purpose and itā€™s quite good at that purpose. A tiny percentage of people use them as they were designed. The rest are just subsidizing the lifestyle of those few.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Iā€™d argue that itā€™s not built out of compromises, but that itā€™s build for a purpose and itā€™s quite good at that purpose.
Oh, I agree. For some years now the ā€˜compromiseā€™ has flipped on its head and runs the opposite direction: the bona fides of a quality trail platform remain in order to substantiate the image sought by the hordes that use it as a mid-sized SUV

anyone doubting that should, as I did ~6 years ago, walk into a dealership and ask for a 2dr, manual, soft-top rubicon and watch the salespersonā€™s confused look as they call around searching for a unit

I really miss that jeep!

if they made a 2dr gladiator Iā€™d buy it as a 3rd vehicle. Luckily Iā€™m at no risk of that possibility

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Oh, I agree. For some years now the ā€˜compromiseā€™ has flipped on its head and runs the opposite direction: the bona fides of a quality trail platform remain in order to substantiate the image sought by the hordes that use it as a mid-sized SUV

anyone doubting that should, as I did ~6 years ago, walk into a dealership and ask for a 2dr, manual, soft-top rubicon and watch the salespersonā€™s confused look as they call around searching for a unit
Ugh. I guess it is just a giant compromise at this point.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
That was a question for crissa. She asked and i asked to clarify her question. I have tube doors on my Jeep
What clarification? It was answered already.

Sorry, power and network are still out here.

(The highway that's been cut off for three months has been more cut off this week. They've left that tree there for two days!)

-Crissa

Lives2TruckAround

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'92 Jeep Wrangler and 22ā€™ Model Y
Occupation
Retired young/Business Owner
Country flag
The Wrangler (and itā€™s descendants) has never been a practical consumer vehicle. The vast majority are sold by people who are willing to spend more money on an impractical vehicle because of how it makes them look.

Iā€™d argue that itā€™s not built out of compromises, but that itā€™s build for a purpose and itā€™s quite good at that purpose. A tiny percentage of people use them as they were designed. The rest are just subsidizing the lifestyle of those few.
I agree with this whole heartedly
Sponsored