Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
So it looks like Tesla updated the Wall Connector recently from 18’ to 24’. This is a great improvement IMO. I put a spot to plug in a charger on the outside of my house near my driveway and an 18’ cable likely wasn’t going to reach if I pull in forward. But 24’ probably will! I really don’t like backing in. Link to Tesla website here. I would really like to see a retractable cable. I put my air hose and extension cords in my garage on retractable reels and it is incredibly convenient. I could probably make one for the wall connector but I will wait to see how it goes first.
Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Retractable cable that would work like an air hose reel would be problematic with the multiple high-power conductors we need. This seems fraught with danger and issues. Retractable hanging can easily be accomplished with a retractor mechanism or two, similar to what is on gas hoses. Where it retracts the hose/cable by pulling up at a single point (or two points).

Personally I don't get having a charging station at all, and use the mobile kit that came with the car. Why blow the money on the dedicated charger? Does the same thing, right?

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
We as a society of iCE vehicle drivers have perfected several technologies that make handling a long, heavy thing that makes the car go again easy... so easy that a wide range of people can handle it.

The reel that helps support the weight of the hose (but does not wrap the cable on a reel) should work fine with charging cables.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Personally I don't get having a charging station at all, and use the mobile kit that came with the car. Why blow the money on the dedicated charger? Does the same thing, right?
No, The UMC charges at at most 32 A whereas the HPWC will charge at 48 A, one and a half times faster. Also with the HPWC you simply do what the guy in the video does. You don't have to dig out the UMC each time you use it unless you leave it a home which isn't really what it's intended for.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
No, The UMC charges at at most 32 A whereas the HPWC will charge at 48 A, one and a half times faster. Also with the HPWC you simply do what the guy in the video does. You don't have to dig out the UMC each time you use it unless you leave it a home which isn't really what it's intended for.
Yes, exactly, it charges faster than almost anyone needs, and I leave it coiled up on an $8 Amazon cord holder. No need for anything else. It seems like a lot of wasted money.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Each to his own

OP
OP
anionic1

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Yes, exactly, it charges faster than almost anyone needs, and I leave it coiled up on an $8 Amazon cord holder. No need for anything else. It seems like a lot of wasted money.
With the model x, which is Tesla’s heaviest vehicle currently, you get about 30 miles and 20 miles per hour of charge on a 48 amp or 32 amp charger respectively. The CT will probably be less efficient and get less miles per hour of charge.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
With the model x, which is Tesla’s heaviest vehicle currently, you get about 30 miles and 20 miles per hour of charge on a 48 amp or 32 amp charger respectively. The CT will probably be less efficient and get less miles per hour of charge.
Not much doubt about it. The X (the model I have) takes 282 Wh/mi. The CT is going to need more like 480.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I get 26 mph on a 30 outlet and close to 40 mph on a 50. The truck seems likely to be closer to 20. So yeah, no need for faster charging on the car, but maybe so on the truck.

chalupacabre

First Name
chalupacabre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 T3LR/DM
Occupation
vetter
Country flag
So it looks like Tesla updated the Wall Connector recently from 18’ to 24’. This is a great improvement IMO. I put a spot to plug in a charger on the outside of my house near my driveway and an 18’ cable likely wasn’t going to reach if I pull in forward. But 24’ probably will! I really don’t like backing in. Link to Tesla website here. I would really like to see a retractable cable. I put my air hose and extension cords in my garage on retractable reels and it is incredibly convenient. I could probably make one for the wall connector but I will wait to see how it goes first.
Tesla pretty easy to back into garage, IMHO. Rear camera guide lines are very useful. Have L shaped driveway and we always use rear camera to back into garage. Mirrors already folded anyway . Backing to park allows a safe " exit strategy" and not backing over baby strollers when leaving
Sponsored