Roteb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Occupation
Information Systems
Country flag
If I currently have a Wall Connector installed in my home, would the Universal power Connector (with powershare capability) be installed by a simple swap? Does the Universal Wall Connector need separate wiring differing from the original Wall Connector?

I also have a Tesla gateway and powerwalls installed about a year ago FYI.

Tesla Cybertruck Wall Connector vs Powershare capable Universal Wall Connector 17110644306618107160833845286482
Sponsored

Atlantian

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 AWD FS Cybertruck, 23 Tesla MX, 23 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Executive
Country flag
It is my understanding that you have all the necessary equipment for PowerShare. My guess is they will give you a $700 voucher to use in the Tesla shop. That is what they gave me. I also have 2 powerwalls and the standard wall connector.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
If I currently have a Wall Connector installed in my home, would the Universal power Connector (with powershare capability) be installed by a simple swap? Does the Universal Wall Connector need separate wiring differing from the original Wall Connector?

I also have a Tesla gateway and powerwalls installed about a year ago FYI.

17110644306618107160833845286482.jpg
If you want PowerShare to power your house, there's a lot more to be done.
If you are just powering the vehicle, I believe they are the same thing.

flyinglow

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 335i, F250
Country flag
From available information, it seems PowerShare only works as backup when your utility power is down. What I want is the ability with the large battery pack I already paid for when I bought the truck to "peak shave" where you send power to your house each day during the hours of more expensive electricity and then recharge at night when it costs less. This takes more equipment than the PowerShare charger currently offered (even with both the gateway and Powerwalls I think it will still only do backup).

Peak shaving helps offset the expensive cost of the vehicle and, if you only charge to 65% or so, the battery life impact is negligeable. Where I live, with a Cybertruck this could generate about $5k a year from my utility since I already have a sellback agreement with my solar system.

Unfortunately, Cybertruck's small battery size and limited kW output can't fully utilize this capability. By comparison, the Silverado EV has both a larger battery and higher kW output (up to 17.7 kW with GM's AC charging system), so I could theoretically generate almost $8k a year.

I keep vehicles a long time - both my currently vehicles are 15 years old. Even at current electricity rates (which will undoubtable go up), over the course of 15 years this really adds up.

OP
OP
LatexCatDaddy

LatexCatDaddy

First Name
Roteb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Occupation
Information Systems
Country flag
Could I swap my wall connector with the new Universal power Connector or is there additional wiring needed from the OG wall connector?

OP
OP
LatexCatDaddy

LatexCatDaddy

First Name
Roteb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Occupation
Information Systems
Country flag
It is my understanding that you have all the necessary equipment for PowerShare. My guess is they will give you a $700 voucher to use in the Tesla shop. That is what they gave me. I also have 2 powerwalls and the standard wall connector.
Did you already receive your CT?

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
From available information, it seems PowerShare only works as backup when your utility power is down. What I want is the ability with the large battery pack I already paid for when I bought the truck to "peak shave" where you send power to your house each day during the hours of more expensive electricity and then recharge at night when it costs less. This takes more equipment than the PowerShare charger currently offered (even with both the gateway and Powerwalls I think it will still only do backup).

Peak shaving helps offset the expensive cost of the vehicle and, if you only charge to 65% or so, the battery life impact is negligeable. Where I live, with a Cybertruck this could generate about $5k a year from my utility since I already have a sellback agreement with my solar system.

Unfortunately, Cybertruck's small battery size and limited kW output can't fully utilize this capability. By comparison, the Silverado EV has both a larger battery and higher kW output (up to 17.7 kW with GM's AC charging system), so I could theoretically generate almost $8k a year.

I keep vehicles a long time - both my currently vehicles are 15 years old. Even at current electricity rates (which will undoubtable go up), over the course of 15 years this really adds up.
"Cybertruck's small battery size" ROTFLMAO. You do realize that it is equivalent to over a dozen Powerwalls don't you?

flyinglow

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 335i, F250
Country flag
True, compared to the PowerWall, the CT's battery is huge. That is exactly why I want to use it to generate revenue/credits on my electric bill. However, it is the smallest of the EV pickups and so won't be able to generate quite as much. Also, at the moment, Tesla's system doesn't actually provide that capability from what I can tell

This is all evolving but Enphase will have a system that does everything: charge the vehicle, backup the home in an outage, peak shave for revenue generation, keep the solar system going in an outage and run a generator when needed. Sadly, it likely won't be available until 2025 at the earliest.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Could I swap my wall connector with the new Universal power Connector or is there additional wiring needed from the OG wall connector?
Yes. The only real difference for the Universal Wall Connector is that it also supports J1772 devices as well as the NACS/Tesla devices that the standard Wall Connector you already have does.

So I could ride up on my Zero and you'd be able to charge my bike. (Although to be honest, my bike also can charge from a simple NEMA 5-15 outlet if I can get within 10' of it.)

-Crissa

scohen2002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3
Country flag
I assume it’s more than a simple swap. There’s the swap from the wall connector to the universal connector which is easy swap. But then there is I assume a transfer switch next to panel that’s the expensive part of the install. Also if your wire doesn’t support 60amps it will have to be replaced.

Cybertruck 1974

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Environmental Health
Country flag
It's gonna be a while. I have 5 contractors on list to install my powershare and one of replied after I sent emails for quotes. I got one quote reply from Smart Charge America but with many questions and no reply in weeks. Good luck!!

RollingRefrigerator

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Foundation AWD CT, M3P, MYP
Country flag
You are all set since you have powerwalls and a wall charger. A lot of conflicting info from others on this thread, but myself and many others have already received confirmation of this (and a $700 voucher) via email from tesla.

Unclear if it will ever support load shifting, but I'm hoping they'll enable this or just straight vehicle to powerwall recharging for those of us with PWs eventually.

Maaz

First Name
Maaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S Plaid, Model X Plaid, Cybertruck, Model Y
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
Do you have any powerwalls? If so then you should be good to go per:

Start at 26:14
Hmm yeah I have a gen 2 wall connector as well with no WiFi capability. Hoping it works with PowerShare as I already have powerwall and solar. Hopefully I’m good to go. We will find out in June.
Sponsored