Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
CV,

How many miles do you typically get out of your 320mi pack?
Sure thing. I’ll contrast my all-in across ownership mi/kWh results (95% around town driving, where I pay zero attention to efficiency and drive like a stole it) vs a long distance trip (where I drove very attentive to efficiency)

Here’s my all-in stats across total ownership, which is 95% around town daily driving plus regularly using my truck as an office of hours on end. For my day-to-day use, I rarely pre-condition, live in central Texas, use HVAC with abandon, leave pro-power turned on always (this prob dumb), take every opportunity to floor it, and - importantly, regularly leave my truck (and HVAC) running for extended periods of time.

Tesla Cybertruck 265 mi range at 90% shown in demo Cybertruck driven by Marques Brownlee MKBHD 734ECA54-0D5B-460A-8F99-C67C754226F0

To get a sense for how much I leave my truck running with HVAC etc on, note that my average speed (9,280mi/680hrs) is 13mph

And with all that zero-thought driving plus truck-office use, truck’s come in at 2mi/kWh

To which the haters say “2mi/kWh in a 131kwh pack?! That’s 260mi, not 320!”

Very true!

But here are the contents of two posts from another forum, not long after receiving the truck, of my two first ever BEV long-distance trips, wherein I was attentive to my conditioning, driving style, etc., at hWy conditions:

THE OUTBOUND:

“Snug in the beach house, with a comfortable (if conservative) passage through the charging desert!
• Began trip with 100% charge from Austin at 10:53AM, 91° ambient with climate set to 75°; GoM estimated 294mi range (based on my previously all around-town driving)
• Drove 78.5 miles with a dash-purported 2.7mi/kWh, arriving at San Antonio EA fast charger with 80% battery
• Charged to 100% in 57mins (the first 20 had the truck/climate running while we ate), with 28.613kWh eaten by the truck (corroborating the 2.7mi/kWh dashboard figure), GoM now Estimating 305mi range; emboldened, set cruise to ~70mph and cabin climate to 72°
• Drove 178 miles (including through a windy thunder storm) with a dash-purported 2.1mi/kWh, arriving at Port A beach house with with GoM estimated 94mi of range remaining
• In all, 256mi at a dash-purported combined average of 2.3mi/kWh [through a storm, and with less efficiency care on the back 2/3rds of the trip]”

THE RETURN:

“the battery began at 100%, and the GoM began at 280mi [anticipating my typical driving style]. Around 90° outdoors, internal climate set to 75°, with the return trip only ~+500’ net gain in elevation and little to no forecasted wind.
I pegged BlueCruise to 64mph the entire trip…
After 3 hours of driving (plus 30 total minutes of idling bathroom stops) between Port Aransas and San Antonio via Hwy37 (big multi-lane):
Covered 179mi (avg. 60mph in drive time
  • GoM down -150mi to 130mi of remaining range
    • @ a dash-purported 2.4kWh (94% to driving, 3% to climate, 3% to accessories)
At hour 3.5, charged from 70 to 93% (in 52min - there was a charge fault while we were elsewhere, eating), with 66.7kWh delivered to the truck (per EA charger)
The last 1.5 hours of the drive (between San Antonio and Austin, Hwy35, more stop-and-go included):
  • Covered 78mi (avg. 52mph) @ 2.8mi/kWh
  • Arrived home with 73% charge, and GoM at 215mi”

Moral of the combined story of my all-in driving mi/kWh vs hWy trips taking the basics of observing efficiency:

• giving my daily driving (and truck-officing) style, the Lightning’s lifetime average of 2.0mi/kWh is pretty damn good - given that 2.44mi/kWh is the target for 320mi out of a 131kWh usable pack

• that conclusion is further evidenced by, when giving any care to efficiency (eg on long distance drives), I can cruise-control at 70 or 65mph (and real world average at 65-60ish door to door), and get as good or in excess of 2.44kWh

To which someone might say “I can’t fathom driving any slower than 80mph on a highway trip.” To which I would respond: then you never bought a 320mi truck in the first place, but that’s kind of on you.

On highways, I drive for comfort, safety, and efficiency.

Around town, I fill up nightly, I drive like I’m never going to worry about range - because I don’t.

rudedawg78

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired USAF, Emergency Manager
Country flag
Sure thing. I’ll contrast my all-in across ownership mi/kWh results (95% around town driving, where I pay zero attention to efficiency and drive like a stole it) vs a long distance trip (where I drove very attentive to efficiency)

Here’s my all-in stats across total ownership, which is 95% around town daily driving plus regularly using my truck as an office of hours on end. For my day-to-day use, I rarely pre-condition, live in central Texas, use HVAC with abandon, leave pro-power turned on always (this prob dumb), take every opportunity to floor it, and - importantly, regularly leave my truck (and HVAC) running for extended periods of time.

734ECA54-0D5B-460A-8F99-C67C754226F0.jpeg

To get a sense for how much I leave my truck running with HVAC etc on, note that my average speed (9,280mi/680hrs) is 13mph

And with all that zero-thought driving plus truck-office use, truck’s come in at 2mi/kWh

To which the haters say “2mi/kWh in a 131kwh pack?! That’s 260mi, not 320!”

Very true!

But here are the contents of two posts from another forum, not long after receiving the truck, of my two first ever BEV long-distance trips, wherein I was attentive to my conditioning, driving style, etc., at hWy conditions:

THE OUTBOUND:
“Snug in the beach house, with a comfortable (if conservative) passage through the charging desert!
• Began trip with 100% charge from Austin at 10:53AM, 91° ambient with climate set to 75°; GoM estimated 294mi range (based on my previously all around-town driving)
• Drove 78.5 miles with a dash-purported 2.7mi/kWh, arriving at San Antonio EA fast charger with 80% battery
• Charged to 100% in 57mins (the first 20 had the truck/climate running while we ate), with 28.613kWh eaten by the truck (corroborating the 2.7mi/kWh dashboard figure), GoM now Estimating 305mi range; emboldened, set cruise to ~70mph and cabin climate to 72°
• Drove 178 miles (including through a windy thunder storm) with a dash-purported 2.1mi/kWh, arriving at Port A beach house with with GoM estimated 94mi of range remaining
• In all, 256mi at a dash-purported combined average of 2.3mi/kWh [through a storm, and with less efficiency care on the back 2/3rds of the trip]”

THE RETURN:
“the battery began at 100%, and the GoM began at 280mi [anticipating my typical driving style]. Around 90° outdoors, internal climate set to 75°, with the return trip only ~+500’ net gain in elevation and little to no forecasted wind.
I pegged BlueCruise to 64mph the entire trip…
After 3 hours of driving (plus 30 total minutes of idling bathroom stops) between Port Aransas and San Antonio via Hwy37 (big multi-lane):
Covered 179mi (avg. 60mph in drive time
  • GoM down -150mi to 130mi of remaining range
    • @ a dash-purported 2.4kWh (94% to driving, 3% to climate, 3% to accessories)
At hour 3.5, charged from 70 to 93% (in 52min - there was a charge fault while we were elsewhere, eating), with 66.7kWh delivered to the truck (per EA charger)
The last 1.5 hours of the drive (between San Antonio and Austin, Hwy35, more stop-and-go included):
  • Covered 78mi (avg. 52mph) @ 2.8mi/kWh
  • Arrived home with 73% charge, and GoM at 215mi”

Moral of the combined story of my all-in driving mi/kWh vs hWy trips taking the basics of observing efficiency:

• giving my daily driving (and truck-officing) style, the Lightning’s lifetime average of 2.0mi/kWh is pretty damn good - given that 2.44mi/kWh is the target for 320mi out of a 131kWh usable pack

• that conclusion is further evidenced by, when giving any care to efficiency (eg on long distance drives), I can cruise-control at 70 or 65mph (and real world average at 65-60ish door to door), and get as good or in excess of 2.44kWh

To which someone might say “I can’t fathom driving any slower than 80mph on a highway trip.” To which I would respond: then you never bought a 320mi truck in the first place, but that’s kind of on you.

On highways, I drive for comfort, safety, and efficiency.

Around town, I fill up nightly, I drive like I’m never going to worry about range - because I don’t.
Thank you for the thorough response, as always. It definitely gave me an in-depth glimpse of what it feels day-to-day driving an EV with a battery vs gas mindset.

Arctic_White

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S Plaid; CT on order
Country flag
Since it's mkbhd. If beast mode exists, that's the one he's testing.

Performance models always have less range.

Model y has 330 miles of range but MYP has 303

So it might be a bit better if you're shooting for normal dual
Exactly!

There are also so many unknowns here: was he on road tires or all-terrain tires?

I usually leave mine in % only but if I switch to miles then I have the option to display rated based on EPA and rated based on past driving. What if his is switched to rated range based on recent driving?

I'd be shocked if the range is under 300 miles. Though 500 mile variant may not come right away until the battery tech is further improved.

Arctic_White

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S Plaid; CT on order
Country flag
💯

At this point, white trim does not confirm tri motor. All the showroom units are dual motor with white trim.

That's a hope because I dont think my MYP changes the mileage gauge going from chill to sport. The picture also does not show the wheels. Very carefully cropped to show range without the wheels showing on the screen. If this is a tri motor with premium wheels, a dual motor on road tires will be around 317 miles.

Screenshot 2023-11-29 132033.png
It'd be funny AF if both Tesla and MKBHD are trolling us with the way they did the photo. Maybe the actual range would be 350+ miles. Can't wait to see if we were trolled or if this is real.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Thank you for the thorough response, as always. It definitely gave me an in-depth glimpse of what it feels day-to-day driving an EV with a battery vs gas mindset.
on one hand, it is definitely a different mindset

on the other hand, it's actually two different mindsets, depending on around-town vs long distance:

• around town, BEV's are generally light-years ahead of gasoline infrastructure (eg you likely have a station at your house); there is zero range anxiety, which is more than one can say for gas vehicles around town (who else regularly went 'oh shit, im almost out of gas, i'll have to stop before work im already late to') - so here, the "different mindset" is basically, "f*ck it, I'm good, this is better than having a gas vehicle"

• long distance, BEV's are generally well behind gasoline infrastructure, so one has to take some additional care and attentiveness to efficience - so here the "different mindset" is basically, "i'll need to do some more planning than I used to, and the trim might take a bit more time, but i can mitigate that"

Given the above, you can see how a given buyer's use case can swing the all-in cost/benefit. For someone like me, 95% of the time I'm getting less range anxiety and infrastructure hassle, in exchange for 5% of the time having to give some more thought. If someone instead drove long distance 95% of the time, their cost/benefit would be inverse.

But even when it comes to long distance driving, there are a lot of non-obvious mindset differences that further minimize the long-distance driving impact.

My favorite example of these sorts of meta-level mindset changes actually involves the beach trip data I recounted in my last post. One could look at that data and say, 'wait a second, doesn't this mean you did a 260mi trip in something like 4.5hours - that should only be a 3.25hr trip, tops?!" That's a very gasoline mindset.

Because what you cant *see* in that data, is that in the 4.5hrs it took me get 260mi, I *also* completed all of our family's grocery shopping for a week beach vacation.

When I had a gas truck, sure I could get to the beach in 3.25 hours, but the day before the trip I would go take a separate trip to the grocery store, 15 minutes each direction, and shop for an hour.

So the reality is, to accomplish both shopping and driving in Lightning in 4.5 hours, saved me more time than with my previous gasoline 'mindset' where my supposed 3.25hr "fast" drive was only fast because the day before I had done a separate trip that took 1.5-2hrs out of my day.

With that sort of BEV long distance mindset, it's sometimes non-obvious to folks that the 4.5hrs it took me to drive in the Lighting, was more time efficient than the 3.25 hrs it took me to drive it in an ICE F150.

Prime8

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Colorado,
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
It'd be funny AF if both Tesla and MKBHD are trolling us with the way they did the photo. Maybe the actual range would be 350+ miles. Can't wait to see if we were trolled or if this is real.
That's what I've been thinking also. A reverse of the Lightning video where the true CT range is actually much higher than extrapolated.

CyberC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model X LR+, 2021 Model Y P
Occupation
Legal
Country flag
Few thoughts:

1. It's always fun to look at the first page, then the last page of a 10-page thread. We went from getting our first real indication of what the range is to arguing about the buying power of a dollar in 1980 vs. 2023. Classic COC.

2. As others have said, this isn't the first time MB gave us a range ahead of time. The last time he was wildly incorrect.

3. If this is the real range of the launch edition...I'll be saving my 112 reservation for a year or two from now, when there's at least a 400 mile version.

canyoncarver

First Name
Nunya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Honestly if you are prioritizing owning nice cars and hoarding cash over owning a home your priorities are very screwed up.

I will now step off the soap box.

-Gen X guy with 7 figure net worth who bought his first "junker" house at age 25 by leveraging every nickel he had to do it.

canyoncarver

First Name
Nunya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I'll now make an actual on topic prediction:

1. The range of the dual motor CT with 20" wheels will in fact be 300 miles.
2. It will cost over $60,000, maybe even $65,000.
3. Tesla/Elon will have at least one surprise for us that will sway many of the fence sitters who are going to be irate about the range.

Suskis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Seat Ibiza
Country flag
I thought only dual motors with 300 miles would have been released today. if so, this is perfectly as announced

OP
OP

TAP1A

First Name
carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck tri motor, tesla 3 performance
Occupation
Digital Operations Engineer
Country flag
question to some fellas here. I took out a heloc to start my business at the beginning of the year. heloc is currently maxed out so my credit utilization is high. DTI is currently 24% though. would I have a hard time getting a car loan?
Sponsored