JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
In the perfect future air probably wouldn't be the most efficient for long range transport. I think also hyperbolic flight probably takes to much energy...
More likely is evacuated tube for long range and evtol for short range ~500 mile travel...
Possibly. But high altitude flight is essentially evacuated tube (hyperloop) type travel, but without the tunnel construction or traffic interface issues. A more ballistic profile could also work for between 500-5000km, without going hyperbolic (and leaving earth orbit to Mars? ;) ). With the correct vtol design, you can get 3000km from a two seater with just 100l of fuel (can also be biofuel until we have cell energy density). You can also get them to be fairly quiet with the right rotor design (have you seen the toroidal props?) and enough disc area. The trick would be to be able to use the same passenger capsule for vtol and then trike and rail systems on the ground for local travel. That way you keep the noise and aerial traffic limited to one area, but can still get your passenger compartment home into a neighborhood without having to change vehicles.

In the meantime I'm thinking of putting a deposit down for a Dark Aero, they are pretty cool high performance 2 seaters kit planes that are in development. Should be just right to takeoff from our home strip, and would be epic for day trips to the big smoke in under an hour, instead of 5-6, one way.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Possibly. But high altitude flight is essentially evacuated tube (hyperloop) type travel, but without the tunnel construction or traffic interface issues. A more ballistic profile could also work for between 500-5000km, without going hyperbolic (and leaving earth orbit to Mars? ;) ). With the correct vtol design, you can get 3000km from a two seater with just 100l of fuel (can also be biofuel until we have cell energy density). You can also get them to be fairly quiet with the right rotor design (have you seen the toroidal props?) and enough disc area. The trick would be to be able to use the same passenger capsule for vtol and then trike and rail systems on the ground for local travel. That way you keep the noise and aerial traffic limited to one area, but can still get your passenger compartment home into a neighborhood without having to change vehicles.

In the meantime I'm thinking of putting a deposit down for a Dark Aero, they are pretty cool high performance 2 seaters kit planes that are in development. Should be just right to takeoff from our home strip, and would be epic for day trips to the big smoke in under an hour, instead of 5-6, one way.
Yes I saw the tordial prop article. Super interesting.
Yes I suppose the energy requirement for building and maintaining evacuated tunnel might exceed energy requirement for high altitude flight, possibly... But the speed advantage of vacuum would be unparalleled.
Dark aero looks like a nice light aircraft.

sperlaky

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Relax. It’s just a Model S base upside down. That is not a Cybertruck.

59sjordan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 M3LR White on White, CyberTruck Reservation
Occupation
Controls Engineer
Country flag
In the perfect future air probably wouldn't be the most efficient for long range transport. I think also hyperbolic flight probably takes to much energy...
More likely is evacuated tube for long range and evtol for short range ~500 mile travel...
I'm thinking the best future travel method will be teleport. :ROFLMAO:

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag