Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla.Model 3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My favorite problem on a modern ICE vehicle is sensors. The sensors that are suppose to tell you that there is a problem actually end up being the problem and not what they are trying to sense....
Had that problem long time ago. Sucks.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
My favorite problem on a modern ICE vehicle is sensors. The sensors that are suppose to tell you that there is a problem actually end up being the problem and not what they are trying to sense....
is this limited to ICE?

because the Lightning has, for example, a front air dampener with a sensor that goes glitch for a lot of people a lot of the time, with no apparent fix yet

doesnt change or effect the operation of the truck, it's just an annoying alert for no reason except the sensor having some issue

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
is this limited to ICE?

because the Lightning has, for example, a front air dampener with a sensor that goes glitch for a lot of people a lot of the time, with no apparent fix yet

doesnt change or effect the operation of the truck, it's just an annoying alert for no reason except the sensor having some issue
My F350 had an failed oil pressure sensor. Until it was replaced it would not start. ICE vehicles have more sensors because the ICE engine has more parts.

rodmacpherson

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Security Architect (IT/Infosec)
Country flag
I am so done with the big 3 and their engineered obsoleance b$. Just got a quote on replacing a burned out winscreen washer fluid pump (part = $23 @ autozone) for $396.00 lowest quote. The. Entire front bumper must be removed to access it. Americans should be able to repair their owned property, should they not?
The estimate for the same on my Nissan Leaf was $700 CAD. I rush shipped 2 (one as a spare) from China, bought a foil turkey roasting pan to catch the fluids and did the work myself for $56 and 20 minutes of my time. ...and I still have the spare pump even though I sold the car a year and a half ago.

rodmacpherson

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Country flag
The estimate for the same on my Nissan Leaf was $700 CAD. I rush shipped 2 (one as a spare) from China, bought a foil turkey roasting pan to catch the fluids and did the work myself for $56 and 20 minutes of my time. ...and I still have the spare pump even though I sold the car a year and a half ago.
...and then the dealer called to follow up the week after I did that to see if I wanted to book an appointment to do it still. I had to break the news gently that I did it already for less than 1/10th the price.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
I sensed this would be a problem

rodmacpherson

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Country flag
...and then the dealer called to follow up the week after I did that to see if I wanted to book an appointment to do it still. I had to break the news gently that I did it already for less than 1/10th the price.
Yeah, they can only buy the official parts, which for the washer pump means also buying the reservoir as part of on module.
If you have to replace the whole reservoir it requires some time consuming surgery moving a lot of other things out of the way. I bought just the pump and went in via the wheel well.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
My F350 had an failed oil pressure sensor. Until it was replaced it would not start. ICE vehicles have more sensors because the ICE engine has more parts.
Yes, ICE has many more parts but that is not the main reason why ICE has more sensors and that failed sensors frequently prevent operation of the vehicle.

ICE has many more different systems that must operate optimally for proper fuel consumption but more importantly to minimize pollution and keep pollution emissions within legal limits.

Several of these systems operate at extremely high temperature, pressure or both ( cooling system, exhaust system, oil lubrication, fuel injectors) so the sensor must be more rugged and are probably more costly to make.

Just for the engine and you probably have:
Intake Air Temperature Sensor
Intake Mass Airflow Sensor
Camshaft Position Sensor
Crankshaft Position Sensor
O2 (oxygen) sensor (there may be 6 of these) - monitors fuel/oxygen mix
Engine Temperature Sensor
Engine Knock Sensor / Spark Knock Sensor
Fuel Pressure Sensor
Fuel Vapor Pressure Sensor
Fuel Level Sensor
Fuel Temperature Sensor
Water in Fuel Sensor
Oil Pressure Sensor
Oil Level Sensor
MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor - adjust fuel/oxty mix due to air pressure change.
NOx sensor (diesel vehicles) measures how much nitrogen oxides are in its exhaust emissions.
Coolant Temperature Sensor
Coolant Level Sensor
Drive Shaft Rotation Sensor
Exhaust Temperature Sensor
Boost Pressure Sensor - monitoring the air-to-fuel ratio
Engine Speed Sensor
DPFE (differential pressure feedback) Sensor
Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve Position Sensor

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
Yes, ICE has many more parts but that is not the main reason why ICE has more sensors and that failed sensors frequently prevent operation of the vehicle.

ICE has many more different systems that must operate optimally for proper fuel consumption but more importantly to minimize pollution and keep pollution emissions within legal limits.

Several of these systems operate at extremely high temperature, pressure or both ( cooling system, exhaust system, oil lubrication, fuel injectors) so the sensor must be more rugged and are probably more costly to make.

Just for the engine and you probably have:
Intake Air Temperature Sensor
Intake Mass Airflow Sensor
Camshaft Position Sensor
Crankshaft Position Sensor
O2 (oxygen) sensor (there may be 6 of these) - monitors fuel/oxygen mix
Engine Temperature Sensor
Engine Knock Sensor / Spark Knock Sensor
Fuel Pressure Sensor
Fuel Vapor Pressure Sensor
Fuel Level Sensor
Fuel Temperature Sensor
Water in Fuel Sensor
Oil Pressure Sensor
Oil Level Sensor
MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor - adjust fuel/oxty mix due to air pressure change.
NOx sensor (diesel vehicles) measures how much nitrogen oxides are in its exhaust emissions.
Coolant Temperature Sensor
Coolant Level Sensor
Drive Shaft Rotation Sensor
Exhaust Temperature Sensor
Boost Pressure Sensor - monitoring the air-to-fuel ratio
Engine Speed Sensor
DPFE (differential pressure feedback) Sensor
Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve Position Sensor
Yes, I just abbreviated the wall of text into "parts" for readability. :)

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
Just an FYI for anybody that might be curious -- Tesla makes their service manual available for free to owners. You have to sign up for their annual subscription to the service manual and renew it yearly, but it's free to owners.
Sponsored