Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
I'll help you out

Title: Tesla hit 20 million 4680s!

Description:

Since the last update (4 months ago ish). They've made 10 million!!

This is good news for CT! Hopefully the ramp continues smoothly.

*Article here*

Eddyrelik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, CT
Country flag
So based on that articles assumptions, if 4680 batteries were SOLELY used for CT, they can make 600 a week (to start). They made about 500-1,000 M3 in the first year when they started in 2017. So not a bad start up production assumption. But what other model of Tesla will use 4680 batteries too obviously will affect that number

Tiberius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Chief cook and bottlewasher
Country flag
I read this and remembered the guy posting on here claiming that Tesla were not making any 4680 at all :ROFLMAO:

Raebrek

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Highlander, 2016 Subaru Outback
Country flag
I suspect Tesla has been stockpiling 4680’s in packs for installation.

rudedawg78

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired USAF, Emergency Manager
Country flag
Although Tesla sold this company, they kept the experienced engineers that were working for Wiferion. Which tells me that they can reproduce this technology in-house saving quite a bit of money.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
By the time the truck is in full production,4680's won't be an issue. This is a very good thing.

OP
OP
swengl

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
The article does only mention Giga Texas. Kato Rd also has been ramping up production. I wonder what their production rate is up to now?

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
In addition to Austin,

Germans have a 4680 factory, which I think will ramp quickly once Austin is up and running.

Mexico will follow.

Who knows how long the EV incentives will last for. But we can be sure there will be a flood of 4680's in 2 to 3 years.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
The article does only mention Giga Texas. Kato Rd also has been ramping up production. I wonder what their production rate is up to now?
unclear

but for every CT cell produced you’d think they’d also need a cell (or two) for the Semi

to say nothing of the Model Y

based on nothing more than a guess, I’d not be surprised to find that GTX cells are basically dedicated to the CT (and Y) whereas Kato is for the Semi

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Although Tesla sold this company, they kept the experienced engineers that were working for Wiferion. Which tells me that they can reproduce this technology in-house saving quite a bit of money.
Yes though they wouldn’t need to ‘reproduce exactly’

happens all the time that Company A purchased Company B, then Company A carved out of Company B the parts of the business of value to Company A.

What remains of Company B is then packaged up for on-sale

Interesting turn of events, but buried in the story is I think some interesting explanation RE keeping Wiferion’s engineers, and the remaining company continuing to service wiferion’s other customers.

Before Tesla’s acquisition, Wiferion already had licenses with other OEMs, like Mitsubishi. It was always a curiosity how Tesla might handle that.And, Wiferion was in several vertices not relevant to Tesla? Like forklifts and robots for industry.

I’d guess that Tesla purchased the company, carved out the pieces it wished to retain (including engineers and other personnel relevant to vehicle charging), relevant IP, etc., and then sold off the remaining segments of the business. The deal may have also included favorable licenses to Tesla as a condition to the sale.