First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model 3, 2021 Model Y, Cybertruck preoder
Country flag
Yes though they wouldn’t need to ‘reproduce exactly’

happens all the time that Company A purchased Company B, then Company A carved out of Company B the parts of the business of value to Company A.

What remains of Company B is then packaged up for on-sale
reminds me of them hiring those bang & olufsen engineers for the audio system

Tesla Cybertruck 4680 production progress IMG_6314
Sponsored

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
The article does only mention Giga Texas. Kato Rd also has been ramping up production. I wonder what their production rate is up to now?
Supposedly the Kato Rd facility is offline for upgrades, unless it stopped production before June 16th it will have contributed to the 10M cells produced between then and now. To what degree is hard to say.

Yes though they wouldn’t need to ‘reproduce exactly’

happens all the time that Company A purchased Company B, then Company A carved out of Company B the parts of the business of value to Company A.

What remains of Company B is then packaged up for on-sale
They did the same with Maxwell.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Supposedly the Kato Rd facility is offline for upgrades, unless it stopped production before June 16th it will have contributed to the 10M cells produced between then and now. To what degree is hard to say.
these reports are for GFTX production, not total Tesla production

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
these reports are for GFTX production, not total Tesla production

I'm reading it as the 20 millionth cell was produced at GFTX, not that GFTX has produced 20 million cells. Hopefully they'll clarify on the call, along with how many lines are currently operational at GFTX.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MYLR, '23 Mavrick Hybrid, '24? Cyberbeast
Occupation
Current Operations for... an organization
Country flag
GigaTexas took 15 months to go from 1M 4680 cells to 10M 4680 cells and then 4 months to go from 10M to 20M. If my mental math is acute, we'll see the 30M mark in November and the 40M mark in December. And then, well, then, it's game on!

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I'm reading it as the 20 millionth cell was produced at GFTX, not that GFTX has produced 20 million cells. Hopefully they'll clarify on the call, along with how many lines are currently operational at GFTX.
If so, that seem pretty confusing, if not misleading

But this older tweet (Dec 2022) shows photo of both Kato and Texas, and calls it the 4680 team to capture both cites

This even earlier milestone tweet (Feb 2022) meanwhile

Meanwhile, it would suggest that all these similarly worded tweets about vehicle milestones would be subject to a similar interpretation

None of which is to say you’re incorrect, but instead to say that if you're right it would seem pretty misleading thing for Tesla to do

If they built a million cells in Kato by Feb 2022, then not until June 2023 announce that they’d built 10M between both GFTX and Kato, would mean an average of only ~500k/mo (over 17mo) or 125k/wk between both factories

no wonder Tesla quietly scrapped the GFTX Model Y with 4680s

OP
OP
swengl

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
Judging from the videos from Joe of the GTX site, the battery cathode plant and the other buildings around it are still under construction. I would anticipate that once those buildings are in full swing, we will see a dramatic change in the lead times for the battery components, which should translate directly into more 4860 units/hour.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Judging from the videos from Joe of the GTX site, the battery cathode plant and the other buildings around it are still under construction. I would anticipate that once those buildings are in full swing, we will see a dramatic change in the lead times for the battery components, which should translate directly into more 4860 units/hour.
Yes and no.

I think it relates more to the volume of cells they'll be able to produce, not limited by the amount of supplies they can buy on the open market.

-Crissa

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
If so, that seem pretty confusing, if not misleading

But this older tweet (Dec 2022) shows photo of both Kato and Texas, and calls it the 4680 team to capture both cites

This even earlier milestone tweet (Feb 2022) meanwhile

Meanwhile, it would suggest that all these similarly worded tweets about vehicle milestones would be subject to a similar interpretation

None of which is to say you’re incorrect, but instead to say that if you're right it would seem pretty misleading thing for Tesla to do
You make a compelling case, I tend to default to the cynical interpretation but looks like it's not warranted here.

The missing part of the puzzle is how many lines were active in producing these 10M 4680 cells over four months. If it's all from a single line that would be great news as it means they are at a potential ~12GWh/yr output at GFTX (~100k/yr dual motor CT), if from multiple lines less so.

If they built a million cells in Kato by Feb 2022, then not until June 2023 announce that they’d built 10M between both GFTX and Kato, would mean an average of only ~500k/mo (over 17mo) or 125k/wk between both factories

no wonder Tesla quietly scrapped the GFTX Model Y with 4680s
Yes, but not quite as cut and dry. GFTX only started producing 4680 cells in the second half of 2022, as far as I'm aware, and Kato Rd is also the R&D facility, so will have had a good amount of downtime for said reason.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Seemed relevant:

I thought I might as well put my quick calculation of how many cells are in those racks in the video:

4680 Cell Storage GT#CellskWh
Cells in Slab101009
Slabs in Stack990081
Stacks in slot21,800162
Stacks per shelf47,200648
Shelves High16115,20010,368
Shelves Units Long7806,40072,576
# of Shelves129,676,800870,912

So that storage area has enough shelving to store around 10million cells or around 900MWh, which is enough for around 7000pcs of 120kWh Cybertrucks.

That's if the whole area is full, which is hard to tell, but there also might be more areas. Note in that video each shelf is only about 3-4ft high (1m), so the scale is off a bit visually, until you see that picker with the had rail pulls up in the beginning.

It's possible there are some 7-12,000 CT's worth of batteries stockpiled., which would obviously be used to offset the CT production ramp versus the battery ramp, meaning the battery ramp can actually be slower than the CT production ramp. At least for 3-4 months, by which time hopefully there will be some more battery factories online, and each individually be able to ramp even faster because of lessons learned.