4680Cell Cybertruck coming soon

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
I wonder if the batteries are actually “structural” and take the place of conventional framing therefore saving weight or if they are simply stuffed into the voids of traditional framing and therefore adding weight? A structure arrangement of batteries would be awesome for any type of trailer towed behind an EV. If I could replace one of my typical equipment hauling trailers with an EV designed trailer containing a structural pack that weighed approximately the same and had a similar weight rating as the original trailer that would be awesome.
Sponsored

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Jesus, at that price I could buy 2 new 25k Tesla for my 2 grandkids.....that is one reason I am getting the CT3.....500-600 mile range.....and if I get 3rd party or built in panels, I can get 20-29 miles per day charge....I dont think I would have to worry

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
So this could certainly be from the rumored pilot line setup in Fremont....
Indeed, my son who used to work for Tesla said that new models would have pilot line setup in Fremont that will be used as template in an automated factory where the unit will be eventually produced.

Sparks was also rumored for this pilot and prelim production facilities for CT.

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
Just a head's up, CYBER PARK is not a native English speaker. Sarcasm and in-jokes are likely lost on him.

He also makes a good point. It's pretty clear China is moving towards EVs very fast. There is more competition with EVs in China than the US which is a weird situation.

One of my frustrations with Biden doing a big dog-and-pony show about EVs and not including Tesla is that without Tesla we would be way behind the EV curve at this point.
EVs exist today because of Elon, directly. Everyone, the whole world, has been locked up for decades thinking to resolve the EV question was too large of a problem - New vehicles, contrary to Big Oil (who used to buy off challenges products), infrastructure, and more.

Elon didn't care about the walls he had to destroy. Elon destroyed wall after wall, and keeps destroying them as he builds and sells millions of EVs; as do others build EVs using his "open source" patents where they had nothing. Elon was the first "out of the box" thinker, with a wallet, to attack this enormous problem. Do not think Europe would have conquered this. Do not think anyone else would have conquered this; because they didn't. Elon conquered the new vehicles, facing off Ford and others. Elon faced off Big Oil and continues to. And, Elon was the first to begin conquering the infrastructure, building Superchargers, and more. Elon showed it was possible, and everyone else follows in his footsteps. Truly.

That is all Elon. Elon seeks to have the greatest impact on our world carbon footprint, that he can. He decided that EVs were the quickest way to both reduce carbon creation, and replace that with a minimal carbon existence, and he hasn't stopped yet. peace

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The other day I heard someone refer to the EV1 as "The start of the EV era" or something like that and I couldn't help but think the author was smoking. Sort of like saying Windows CE was the start of the smart phone era. It was sort of like what we ended up with, but not really.

If a *company* deserves credit for firing off the EV era, it's pretty clearly Tesla. I do feel like there is credit to share around though. When a technology like the EV or smartphone hits the market, it doesn't happen in a void. There are a lot of technologies which feed into that final product. When enough complimentary products are mature, the new category emerges.

It takes someone to figure out the right formula for the end product the catch hold. In the case of smartphones, it was Apple. In the case of EVs, it was Tesla.

Someone needs to be in the right place, at the right time, with the means to make it all happen. It's usually not the existing players in the industry, they are too good at making their old formula work and the new paradigm is often less profitable in the near-mid term.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
I’m having trouble viewing that video. Am I missing something good?
Yes you are, the Cybertruck!

Ha-ha! There's not anything new presented there but it's always good to watch another Cybertruck video again!

OP
OP
CYBER PARK

CYBER PARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Benz,CT
Country flag
Yeti coolers, water, stove, and food storage.
Junk
We are a family of 8 and dragged a scamper camper every year for 12 years and I know Junk
Stove Junk
Never ever have a built in stove in a camper it takes up space and is dirty and smelly. Camping you want a portable outside stove away from the drag behind camper. Never ever have a bulit-in stove in a camper.
Water Junk
Water tanks in a camper is worse than a installed stove. SS water tanks get smelly and full of bacteria. It starts to taste bad in 1-2 trips so no one got sick but draging water in tanks is a total waste of time. Even in a desert or super cold Rocky Mountians you would never drink water from a drag behind water tank.
Cooler Junk
Yes we had one of those small plastic coolers in the drag behind camper. A total waste of space. Coolers with wheels is ok but installed coolers in a drag behind camper is again infected wet always dripping leaking total waste of space.
Food Storage maybe junk??
Storage is fine but not installed food storage. Cracker Bread Dry milk but not butter or icecream or frozen food is junk and a waste of space.
Sounds like a lot of junk space for $55.000. Maybe they should re think the design.
I have listened carefully to your proposal.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
How many chargers is that per person? Do you have a graph for that?
So you are saying it is not the size of the bar in the graph that counts but how you use it.

Certainly, I was curious to know if the gap would actually look as substantial.
If you want to be really fair, you should look at the ratio of charging stations to cars not to people in each country in which case, his chart still holds fairly well. Anyway you look at it, he has a point we need to haul ass to catch up.

Last edited:

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Yes No Maybe
Blade LFP
<Snip>
What the F!!!
So where is the Cyber Truck in all this Blade LFP stuff? IMO building LFP in 4680 or Blade is only cost of tooling. I know Tesla is working on one piece structural LFP packs so it is not a big jump to go Blade.
Also
There is no owner of Blade style LFP so the game is on.

b1.jpg
Unbelievable! BYD built a battery w/o patent IP?

WTF? My reaction when I heard or read 4680 form factor was essential to structural pack. Whoa there…4680 is not the structural key innovation as blades could effectively modular pack assembly and accommodate structural integrity. SO game on.

Maxwell is gone. Blade is tooling but what about chemistry? Tesla would be dependent upon out source chemistries. Elon would not forego vertical integration security on _the_most expensive vehicle component!

Pouch battery and chemistry changes for Blade®️ amounts to starting from scratch and leveling a playing field Tesla have built to its specification. Elon will localize sources, engineer specs and proof chemistry before tooling brandX Blade®️batteries into Teslas.

Somewhere, somehow, when Maxwell jettisoned LFP was in-play, already. Now, its wait and see Tesla’s other battery chemistry solution to drop.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Elon said they planned LFP production in the US, mostly for static storage. The blades have some structural and cooling advantages over other cells... But not really over 4680s since the latter come in higher density chemistry.

I don't think that Tesla would use the blade design at this point. Maybe for static storage or in the future.

-Crissa

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Elon said they planned LFP production in the US, mostly for static storage. The blades have some structural and cooling advantages over other cells... But not really over 4680s since the latter come in higher density chemistry.

I don't think that Tesla would use the blade design at this point. Maybe for static storage or in the future.

-Crissa
I heard M3s with LFP were not received well in China and Europe because of slow charging speed and range loss in winter. That could be more pronounced in a big heavy truck with more energy consumption. I think Elon is too invested in 4680 to change course. That is unless the problem they are trying to solve, does not get resolved. BYD and Toyota seem to be running with blade though.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
They're expanding their LFPs in China, so I think that stuff is just FUD. BYD had trouble with some of their first LFPs and I think that's just rumors stemming from early tech because I cannot find any actual data to back up the rumors. Not even real owners.

-Crissa
Sponsored