5.5 Foot vs 6.5 Foot Bed

"Would you rather have a 5.5 or 6.5 foot bed if the 5.5 foot version shortens the Cybertruck by 12"?

• Total voters
OP
OP
Daweism

Daweism

First Name
Dawei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Raptor (Supercab)
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
Maybe we should have a vote to make it as slow as the raptor too... Just leave it alone. 6.5 feet. I vote 6.5 feet all day long.

I'm guessing this is because it doesn't fit in someone's garage?...
I don't have a garage lol. Why you jabbing the Raptor? I'm already set on trading it in for the Cybertruck lol.
Sponsored

Dixon1430

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
SRNA
Country flag
I don't have a garage lol. Why you jabbing the Raptor? I'm already set on trading it in for the Cybertruck lol.

haha. Sorry. I actually really liked the raptor before the CT. Although I do have to say I was quite partial to the dark red color. Two of my good friends are still planning on going that route instead of the CT. I keep trying to convince them to go Tesla but they won't budge. Maybe they will once we start getting deliveries.

I do however stand by my vote for the 6.5 foot vault. In my opinion they need to maintain the size and specs in order to really give the other truck manufacturers a good lashing. ?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I voted 5.5’ but I have mixed thoughts and I seriously doubt that Tesla would pay attention. My only issue is the truck hanging out of parking spaces. A foot might help.

OP
OP
Daweism

Daweism

First Name
Dawei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
haha. Sorry. I actually really liked the raptor before the CT. Although I do have to say I was quite partial to the dark red color. Two of my good friends are still planning on going that route instead of the CT. I keep trying to convince them to go Tesla but they won't budge. Maybe they will once we start getting deliveries.

I do however stand by my vote for the 6.5 foot vault. In my opinion they need to maintain the size and specs in order to really give the other truck manufacturers a good lashing. ?
I wonder logistically how easy / difficult it would be for Tesla to offer the 2 different bed sizes. Biggest issue I see if the different sizes in wheelbase and having to alter battery and drive train setups.

Berno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Tacoma, TLR200
Occupation
Carpenter
Country flag
I’d like to have a 5.5’ bed, ditch the vault cover , and add a camper shell with a lumber rack. That way I could lock up my tools in the bed while carrying 4x8 material and long sticks up top.

Dixon1430

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
SRNA
Country flag
I wonder logistically how easy / difficult it would be for Tesla to offer the 2 different bed sizes. Biggest issue I see if the different sizes in wheelbase and having to alter battery and drive train setups.

Total guess here but I imagine it would be quite difficult at least at first since the CT has an exoskeleton design, I'm guessing it would require an entire retooling of equipment or an entire different assembly/processing line? I may be wrong but I very much doubt they will do that. I think the most likely thing for folks that want a little shorter of a CT is that they'll have to wait until the smaller version comes available for worldwide distribution. I don't know how long that will be, probably a long time.

OP
OP
Daweism

Daweism

First Name
Dawei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
Total guess here but I imagine it would be quite difficult at least at first since the CT has an exoskeleton design, I'm guessing it would require an entire retooling of equipment or an entire different assembly/processing line? I may be wrong but I very much doubt they will do that. I think the most likely thing for folks that want a little shorter of a CT is that they'll have to wait until the smaller version comes available for worldwide distribution. I don't know how long that will be, probably a long time.

See that's the thing, I wouldn't want a truck that's smaller by a whole classification of vehicle, I love the size and width of my 2 door Raptor. I just would like a shorter bed since I wouldn't use it much. In a perfect world, I would go for a Cyber(Jeep, Bronco, FJ). I think that's the next nice for Tesla once the Cybertruck conquers pick ups.

KendrickMB

First Name
Kendrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Chevy Trax, 2012 Ford Explorer
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
The truck needs the triangular design for structure. So if the bed is shortened, wouldn't the peak need to be higher to compensate for the shortened base? I feel like that would look odd and might be too tall. Either that or the tailgate would have to become even taller.

I'll keep it the way it is.

Last edited:

OP
OP
Daweism

Daweism

First Name
Dawei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
The truck needs the triangular design for structure. So if the bed if shortened, wouldn't the peak need to be higher to compensate for the shortened base? I feel like that would look odd and might be too tall. Either that or the tailgate would have to become even taller.

I'll keep it the way it is.
Yeah, I've contemplated this a lot. The angles would definitely need to change, biggest hold back for this would be the head space in the cabin would be lessened to compensate for the short bed if you're to maintain the same angles.

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
I voted for 6.5 because that is what my Silverado has now and the versatility of loading up sheets of plywood and more storage area is what is important to me. However, a 5.5 bed would allow me to park it into the garage and charge. I have a 1 car garage that the Model 3 parks in now and with no driveway to charge at so I am still looking for a way to charge it lol.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I'll have to dig up my driveway to install a charger for the CT. Luckily my driveway has needed a facelift for over a decade. I do not want to undertake 'that' project until I know what the CT charging situation will look like. It wouldn't matter whether it is a 5.5' bed or a 6.5' bed because the garage is full of tools, but it is a long vehicle. I'll definitely have to trim the tree branches.

Hunter Sawyer

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Construction Worker
Country flag
6.5 foot is mandatory for me and any truck. I won't even look at nor consider a truck with a 5.5 foot bed.
Same here. If anything they should have an option for 8ft. My Ford was 8ft and I feel like I'm going to miss it.
Sponsored