Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150, Chevy Traverse
Occupation
UX Designer
Country flag
Had CT not been able to seat 6 (my fam size) then I'd have been out. None of the other EV trucks seat 6. At least in the price range. This isn't the best part about the CT but it would have been a deal breaker for me.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Had CT not been able to seat 6 (my fam size) then I'd have been out. None of the other EV trucks seat 6. At least in the price range. This isn't the best part about the CT but it would have been a deal breaker for me.
I'm in awe of the idea of a truck that can seat six. We had a minivan that could seat seven when I was a kid, but it was a squeeze. The truck barely could manage all three of us. Even the one with the dinky back seat.

-Crissa

rarburt

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150, Chevy Traverse
Occupation
UX Designer
Country flag
I'm in awe of the idea of a truck that can seat six. We had a minivan that could seat seven when I was a kid, but it was a squeeze. The truck barely could manage all three of us. Even the one with the dinky back seat.

-Crissa
we had a 4 door wrangler that could seat 5 until our 4th child was born and had to trade it in for an F-150 that also seats 6. The CT will be replacing that :) not every day that I carry the whole family but always good to have two vehicles that can carry the whole gang.

Cybercarlson

First Name
T.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
chevy K1500 decades ago, M3, MY, New Beetle
Country flag
kind of offtopic, but not worth to open a new tread imho:
When Cybertruck appeared my life view changed. Rivian, nice truck. Cybertruck, what the F!? Give it to me!
@MEDICALJMP
The presentation of the CT indeed was "life....changing" there are rumors of people having purchased their first TESLA stocks after (because of) the presentation..... but ordered a CT or two much later.

Now they have several thousands of reasons to get a CT and not a RIVIAN. ?;)

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Just for giggles I checked out the Rivian Owners Club site and found this photo.

Embarrassing! ?

Tesla Cybertruck 5 Reasons I Love the Rivian...But Still Buying the Cybertruck (Video) 417A54CD-CBA9-481A-821A-B3D2DA2B4EFF

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Just for giggles I checked out the Rivian Owners Club site and found this photo.

Embarrassing! ?

417A54CD-CBA9-481A-821A-B3D2DA2B4EFF.png
The tire on that thing does not seem to be an off road tire. It is sad that we have to sneak into their site to see an EV truck being tested. I wish we were as far ahead in the game as they are. They have a finished factory and evidence of more testing.

Frankly I hope all EV trucks succeed. Their success helps me get a better CT at a better price and is good for EV movement as a whole.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I sort of eliminated the Rivian RT1 when I read that it has a short 4.5’ truck bed and higher MSRP than the CT. I did however leave a $1k deposit on a base “Explore Package” just to hedge my bets. I hope the Rivian designers address the fugly “nostrils” on the front end before they start production this summer.

Last edited:

Akgolf

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 and 2022 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Retired Computer Programmer, USAF
Country flag
For me it all comes down to the Supercharger network. Rivian could come out with an exact replica of the Cybertruck(which I prefer), but if I’m not sure I’ll be able to take it on long trips it’s useless. Non Tesla charging networks aren’t there yet.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I agree. Both of those are a pro for the CT. Rivian is rumored to be using 21700 battery cells manufactured by LG.

I was pretty impressed by the Rivian pickups in the Apple + documentary Long Way Up. They were prototypes 001 and 002 and and proved to be durable and pretty trouble free on the 12k journey from the tip of Argentina to Los Angeles. They were supporting the film and support crew who were documenting the trip of 2 riders on HD electric Livewire motorcycle prototypes. Lots of washboard and crappy roads that beat the crap out of the vehicles and their occupants. I think the truck appeals to the more conservative pickup truck buyer who is looking for a size between a Tacoma and a full size truck. I just can’t get past the “nostril“ lighting design on the front end.

Tesla Cybertruck 5 Reasons I Love the Rivian...But Still Buying the Cybertruck (Video) 9B5AE37F-B600-4F13-8231-ECE53A19EF13

Last edited:

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
I did a bit of homework on the Rivian. They are rumored to be using 21700 battery cells manufactured by LG, use electric hub motors at all 4 wheels and employ a skateboard design.

I was pretty impressed by the Rivian pickups in the documentary Long Way Up. They were prototypes 001 and 002 and and proved to be pretty trouble free and very durable on the 12k journey from the tip of Argentina to Los Angeles. They were supporting the film and support crew who were documenting the trip of 2 riders on HD electric Livewire motorcycle prototypes. Lots of washboard and crappy roads that beat the crap out of the vehicles and their occupants. I think the trucks look great, I just can’t get past the “nostril“ lighting design on the front end.

9B5AE37F-B600-4F13-8231-ECE53A19EF13.jpeg
Do you have a link to Rivian using hub motors? It has been said that Rivian will be similar to Tesla that the motors will be part of the skateboard and use drive shafts

I am not a fan of hub motors

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
My bad. I was thinking of the Lordstown truck. No hub motors on the Rivian. You can clearly see the CV joints on the bottom photo.

Tesla Cybertruck 5 Reasons I Love the Rivian...But Still Buying the Cybertruck (Video) 0AF58CD1-2B90-42BA-8B7A-A778E2660FED

Tesla Cybertruck 5 Reasons I Love the Rivian...But Still Buying the Cybertruck (Video) 6948777F-449F-4D50-98AD-A06F289E6CB5

Last edited:

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
My bad. I was thinking of the Lordstown truck. No hub motors on the Rivian. You can clearly see the CV joints on the bottom photo.

0AF58CD1-2B90-42BA-8B7A-A778E2660FED.png

6948777F-449F-4D50-98AD-A06F289E6CB5.jpeg
No Problem, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a major design change I didn't know about