FarAway

First Name
I.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pontiac Torrent, TVR, F-250 Super Duty
Country flag
Yikes! It almost looks as bad as the concept truck that I viewed in person. It stood out like a sore thumb on the concept.

Some people in the room were commenting on the subpar fit and finish of the concept Cybertruck. I’ll give Tesla some slack because it was a concept vehicle.

DDEB4DFB-9AAA-4FC6-8313-E8F3269BEB91.png
F7566DC3-872C-4395-8B52-72847EC05B02.jpeg
This pretty much sums up my feeling about this.....

Tesla Cybertruck A look at interior of glass roof / cabin ceiling 1693438375717
Sponsored

Mrd789

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Electrochromic glass is is a cool trick, but I'd prefer enough solar to offset the vampiric drain.
If SPD smart glass, suspended particle device glass by research frontiers, it blocks heat greatly. This would minimize heat build up and help range with less AC use needed.

Lives2TruckAround

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'92 Jeep Wrangler and 22’ Model Y
Occupation
Retired young/Business Owner
Country flag
I don’t know peeps…

in my model y the ceiling basically turns the car into an oven. I ended up getting a shade for the glass interior. On top of that i realized i never am able to look out of the ceiling windows so it’s kind of pointless.

I’m probably going to end up covering those ceiling windows anyways if they don’t have any special heat blocking/solar tech

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I don’t know peeps…

in my model y the ceiling basically turns the car into an oven. I ended up getting a shade for the glass interior. On top of that i realized i never am able to look out of the ceiling windows so it’s kind of pointless.

I’m probably going to end up covering those ceiling windows anyways if they don’t have any special heat blocking/solar tech
They do have special heat blocking tech. There's an IR coating on the outside which reflects up to 70% of the irradiance; the glass blocks another few percent and almost all the UV. Glass is also less conductive than metal, so heat and cold is resisted that way.

And if you have a newer model, some of the glass has extra thermal layers of a plastic that reduces thermal and acoustic transfer as well.

But you can always add higher rated reflective coatings on the outside or more opaque ones on the inside, or have actual sunshades which give even more voids to block heat transfer.

You probably still associate the light with the heat, but try sticking you hand in the direct sunlight and then under the glass. You should feel a major difference. It's not a greenhouse, and plants wouldn't appreciate it.

-Crissa
Sponsored