XCeilidhX

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model S, awaiting CT RN112786958
Country flag
So I am among those that the CT will be the first pickup truck I have ever personally owned. Since all my prior truck experience was rental vehicles, I never had to deal with the tires.

In the car world, it can often be the case that low profile (huge rim, tiny sidewall) tires are far more expensive than more common profile ratios, despite the fact that such tires take less total material by size and weight to manufacture relative to heavier, larger, cheaper, and more common car tires. I would assume this is because of more advanced compounds and construction methods required to make them (or something similar) that drives the cost of those tires with less material required to build to be higher than larger tires with their larger sidewalls.

With some minimal browsing of truck tires in general, my impression is that the exact opposite is the case with truck tires, so that the more compound required to make the tire the more it costs, such that larger heavier tires on smaller wheels can cost way more to replace than lower profile short sidewall LT tires on larger rims. Correct me if I am wrong with this impression.

If I am correct, however, this makes for some interesting calculations regarding total cost to own over let’s say a decade relative to the one time initial size and purchase price of a set of rims and then the recurrent costs of the tire replacements for those rims over years of ownership.

This isn’t really the case with cars in my experience because big rims are expensive and the tires that go on them are more expensive in general as well.

But with the opposite (possibly?) being true with trucks, what makes the most financial sense in terms of long term strategy? I know most will choose the size of rim and tire based on predominant application and driving locations but if we ignore that for the purpose of isolating and discussing this particular variable, how do people with experience buying LT tires over and over again recommend thinking about this?

I am imagining that it may be the case that over a decade it could be cheaper to buy big expensive rims and then spend less with each tire set replacement thereafter if this concept is correct which was counterintuitive to me coming from the car world.

I am interested in this because when i transitioned from an ICE car to my Model S I wasn’t expecting the expense of burning through tires with all that torque. As a reference, I went through a set of the Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires (which admittedly are on the softer side) from brand new to totally toast in 6 months which gets expensive quickly, and that was not with tons of driving. Just 6 months of daily use. I would think that the torque of the CT/CB will be similarly brutal on tires and we may not get as many miles out of them as we would think. I currently live at the top of a mountain and have to commute up and down winding roads that aren’t the easiest on tires, and my driving style (let’s just say “spirited” like on Tire Rack) isn’t the gentlest on the tread compounds either. But before my Model S I was used to driving for a couple of years on a set of all season tires even if I was driving cross country for thousands of miles. My EV owing experience is nothing like that. I’m lucky if i get 12 months out of a set of tires.

Any thoughts from the more experienced pickup truck drivers here on the forum?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Cheers all
Sponsored

Amuma

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I've always just purchased a rim/tire package of my liking when I was ready for a new set and then just replace the tires when needed. I plan on wearing the stock out first then decide on rim/tire package but it depends on this Bluetooth module in the OG tires and whatelse it will be used for in the future.

mark555055c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Cybertruck AWD FS, 2019 Silverado Trail Boss
Country flag
Personally, I do not think of this stuff at all. I'll be buying the Goodyear all terrain tire or equivalent for the life of the vehicle. It costs what it costs.

For you, it sounds like you may be better off finding a good all season tire, perhaps the wheel tire combo that Tesla will release for the non foundation series units might be the way for you to go. The all terrain tires as we know reduce range and I assume will wear more than all seasons.

Cougs

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
collector chevy K20, cybertruck asap
Occupation
Coach
Country flag
I always buy my tires at COSTCO when you can change your tires for free. I live in an area where I need to mount snow tires in the winter and since COSTCO started charging for more than $60 to mount snow tires. I bought the wheels and tires in order for me to be able to change the tires myself.
Sponsored

Last edited: