Tire life / durability for a Cybertruck?

m_jorge

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pre-ordered Cybertruck 3-motor
Occupation
Research
Country flag
After reading the article about tire longevity on the Rivian (https://www.thedrive.com/news/rivians-tires-are-wearing-out-in-as-little-as-6000-miles-heres-why), It has me wondering. Currently I replace my summer tires about every 5-6 years, and my winter tires about every 3-4 years. My guess would be that with the CT and judicious driving I'll probably be replacing my tires about twice as frequently as I do on my current pickup.

Also, with EVs slowly but surely replacing ICEs, that's a whole lotta tires getting replaced far more frequently. What impact will that have on the tire manufacturing and availability in the near future, and what about all the waste generated. Will tire graveyards turn into mountains?
Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
In summary, evidence suggests Rivians wear their tires more quickly in Conserve mode, not just because they decouple their rear axles, but because of how lowering the suspension alters their alignments. Leaving the factory with a bad alignment (or being driven by an owner with a lead foot) would only expedite tire wear, too.
However, beyond the apparent prevalence of poor factory alignments, this isn't an indictment of Rivian. All vehicles' suspensions are designed to adjust alignment with suspension travel, and the effects of that are most prevalent on height-adjustable vehicles like Rivians. The toe change could be engineered out, but that'd likely worsen handling. It's a game of trade-offs.

sounds like part of the issue is Rivian’s particular approach to changing how many axels are powered depending on various ‘conserve’ or ‘highway’ cruise modes, and how often people use them. On this metric, whether the CT has analog issues depends CT’s approach on uneven power to wheels?

as for the separate issue of toe in/out resulting from adaptive air suspension: like the article says, it’s an engineering trade off regarding ride quality vs toe in/out. And will depend in part on how long and at what speeds people “choose” to set the height of the CT

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
On my 2017 Model X, I have 'range mode' that biases the rear over the front and I use it for road trips. Not sure what is going on with the Rivan, but I do not seem to have excess tire wear on front vs rear.

Note that any acceleration and the front immediately "kicks in."

Tesla Cybertruck Tire life / durability for a Cybertruck? HMgFCwo

Testing using ScanMyTesla screen

With range mode -- using Rear motor (see 0 HP and LbFt below on 'Fr')
Tesla Cybertruck Tire life / durability for a Cybertruck? bu347V4

Without Range Mode turned on it is using BOTH front and rear.
Tesla Cybertruck Tire life / durability for a Cybertruck? 3iM2VUT

Regen uses both still.
Tesla Cybertruck Tire life / durability for a Cybertruck? NXSnzYi

Last edited:

COLAB

First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Website
colabsystems.com
Vehicles
Nissan Frontier
Occupation
Product manager IT services
Country flag
After reading the article about tire longevity on the Rivian (https://www.thedrive.com/news/rivians-tires-are-wearing-out-in-as-little-as-6000-miles-heres-why), It has me wondering. Currently I replace my summer tires about every 5-6 years, and my winter tires about every 3-4 years. My guess would be that with the CT and judicious driving I'll probably be replacing my tires about twice as frequently as I do on my current pickup.

Also, with EVs slowly but surely replacing ICEs, that's a whole lotta tires getting replaced far more frequently. What impact will that have on the tire manufacturing and availability in the near future, and what about all the waste generated. Will tire graveyards turn into mountains?

For winter tires and depending on your annual mileage I would say between 3 and 5 years (winters are getting milder too...) for summer tires I'm also over 5 years with my tires, and the air suspension that should help quite a bit on the wear side for the better.
The cycle part of the Cybertruck is radically different than that of the Rivian which has great difficulty on this side. (All Rivians have been recalled to receive a front end modification...)

So let's be positive, and only the future will give us a better view on this point, the rest is just conjecture and blah blah, but a must on everyone's questions, which is quite correct, even if we often wastes our time exchanging thoughts, but it's good to be curious too! ;) 🤙

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
The instant torque and heavier overall weight doesn’t help with tire wear. A Rivian R1T weighs in at roughly 3.5 tons. It’s just the nature of BEV’s until battery packs get lighter.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag

Airless is a future option. Quite a bit of testing going on right now with them. I think we are closer for off-road vehicles, then roadworthy, then unique high speed stuff. Here’s what I’ve seen so far…

Goodyear was doing demos in a M3 last year
Goodyear Shows Off New Airless Tires On a Tesla Model 3.

This is from Michelin’s website:

NO PUNCTURES = LESS WASTE

Every year, 20%* of tires are discarded as scrap due to flats and rapid pressure loss (12%) or irregular wear and tear caused by poor tire pressure (8%), i.e., the equivalent of 200 million tires, or 2 million tonnes*. That’s 200 times the weight of the Eiffel Tower.

Tesla Cybertruck Tire life / durability for a Cybertruck? 1-blowout_381x346

Tires scrapped
due to flats and
rapid pressure loss*
Tesla Cybertruck Tire life / durability for a Cybertruck? 2-irregular_381x346

Tires scrapped
due to irregular wear and tear caused by under- or over-inflated tires*
Tesla Cybertruck Tire life / durability for a Cybertruck? 3-matiere_379x343_EN

Number of tires wasted that could be avoided thanks to UPTIS, i.e.,
200 times the weight of the Eiffel Tower*

An ideal solution for the mobility of tomorrow

Designed for passenger vehicles (including electric vehicles), Michelin’s UPTIS prototype is perfectly suited to the new generation of clean, autonomous mobility solutions. UPTIS delivers a high level of comfort and safety and eliminates the burden associated with tire maintenance, making it a key asset for emerging collective mobility applications, such as autonomous shuttles and shared vehicle fleets.

Bringing the future closer

In January 2023 Michelin and DHL signed a commercial partnership agreement to equip nearly 50 delivery vehicles with MICHELIN UPTIS by the end of the year. The first vehicles, Toyota Hiace, have already started to run on the streets of Singapore.

With the UPTIS prototype, Michelin is targeting the fleet market for light commercial vehicles intended for professional use and dedicated to last-mile deliveries.

Jimbo Ringo

First Name
Jimbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Occupation
Marketing
Country flag

I am conflicted with the Cyber tire ware estimation. We have a Tesla Model 3, the 2019 Model 3 rear wheel drive is still on original tires. They are getting hard and need to be replaced. Tire wear is very dependent on how hard you press the excelerator, and grind tire rubber off. We have a four-wheel-drive model X that is 18 months old and the tires should last a couple of more years. with the Tesla instant reaction, traction control, and four-wheel-drive, you just don’t get that much tire slippage that causes fast tire ware. I think the Cybertruck will be just fine with longer tire life than a comparable ICE pick-up truck.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

On my Model Y (LR) Tesla told me that I will have to replace the tires by 25K to 30K miles. That is not so far off from other OEM tires I have had on new vehicles. What is disturbing is that I have had to replace one tire and have had 2 additional repairs in the 1 1/2 years I have had the car. I would like a tire with enough tread on it that it can accommodate the occasional small nail without needing repair. Wouldn't an AT tire have that kind of additional protection?

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag
On my 2017 Model X, I have 'range mode' that biases the rear over the front and I use it for road trips. Not sure what is going on with the Rivan, but I do not seem to have excess tire wear on front vs rear.

Note that any acceleration and the front immediately "kicks in."

HMgFCwo.jpg

Testing using ScanMyTesla screen

With range mode
bu347V4.jpg

3iM2VUT.jpg

Regen uses both still.
NXSnzYi.jpg
Moral to the story: DON'T DRAG-RACE YOUR CT. [ ONLY on track days ]
My en_tire_life behind the wheel of cars, l've driven sparingly with regards to 'rubber' ( Tyres are not cheap in Oz )

MiguelAznar

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck 3-motor
Country flag
Is it possible that CT’s AWD system would be able to accommodate a new tire, so we wouldn’t need to replace all 4 tires when one is damaged? I’ve read about shaving a new tire down to the diameter of the 3 surviving tires, but hope for a technology solution.

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Get 20k miles on my M3P summer perf tires and get 55k on my truck tires...

So in my CT, if I haul ass and moto's/trailer then I should average 40k miles on CT Tires! :cool:

I'll be happy with 30k on CT Tires for the way I drive! Obviously prefer more but the important part is you have the right tire for the usage and they keep you safe! Im thinking I'll have 2 sets of rims/tires - off-road/winter and performance/summer and swap as needed!

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Tesla told me to get new tires in the next couple of thousand miles. That will make about 25,000. I drive in a very wimpy way. These are the original tires and I got the Model Y in March 2022. So less than 2 years. I have no idea what to expect for the truck.
Sponsored