Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Has anyone heard any details about the onboard air compressor? I was thinking about it while in the shop yesterday.... I'm guessing this would be pretty much a standard compressor (electric motor) with a tank, and driven off the battery. I think the key thing for longevity is that you'd need to be able to "drain" the tank by opening a petcock valve to eliminate the moisture that builds up in there. That is necessary to keep it from rusting and losing it's integrity, unless it is made from SS as well!

Another nice would be all digital controls for it from the center console (pressure regulator settings, gauges, etc).
Sponsored

OP
OP
fritter63

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
I vote that it is a tankless compressor with an octo valve for the 8 pressure zones on the damped air suspension. In other words a duplicate of the heat pump but with air.
Wonder if that could handle the flow rate (6 cfm?) of a regular compressor?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
6 cfm at 100 psi means the compressor is doing PV work at the rate of 2.6 hp. Add in the effects of compressor inefficiency (they get hot) and motor inefficiency and we are probably talking 4 (?) HP to the motor, That's right around 3 kW. It would have to run from the main battery and is a pretty hefty load. But if intended market is the working guy who needs compressed air at the level that one associates with a 4 hp compressor (that's a lot) It could be done. But if the intention is to give capability to top off a flat or fill an airless mattress in the field I'd expect something lot's smaller a bit heftier perhaps than the little units you plug into your cigarette lighter receptacle. Given the desire to keep cost down I'm guessing more likely the latter than the former - something that runs off the 12V battery, But don't ask me - ask Elon.

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I vote that it is a tankless compressor with an octo valve for the 8 pressure zones on the damped air suspension. In other words a duplicate of the heat pump but with air.
Ok Mister... Did you see in to the future? You've seen the octo valve octopus snowflake on the Munro teardown?

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
Standard quick disconnect for hose hook up and disconnect/storage of hose, digital air pressure regulator.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
What do the S and X use? I reckon it'll basically be that but with larger reservoir and all the same precautions.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
6 cfm at 100 psi means the compressor is doing PV work at the rate of 2.6 hp. Add in the effects of compressor inefficiency (they get hot) and motor inefficiency and we are probably talking 4 (?) HP to the motor, That's right around 3 kW. It would have to run from the main battery and is a pretty hefty load. But if intended market is the working guy who needs compressed air at the level that one associates with a 4 hp compressor (that's a lot) It could be done. But if the intention is to give capability to top off a flat or fill an airless mattress in the field I'd expect something lot's smaller a bit heftier perhaps than the little units you plug into your cigarette lighter receptacle. Given the desire to keep cost down I'm guessing more likely the latter than the former - something that runs off the 12V battery, But don't ask me - ask Elon.
I am guessing that too. Not a contractor’s compressor at all. It also doesn’t make sense. What would be nice is to have it be able to do all the truck kinds of pneumatic tasks: manage the suspension of course, including the dampening, tire pressure, lifts as appropriate, such as entry/exit step, maybe a damper for the tailgate...

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Wait?
Are Blondes gonna be using the air compressor on a Cyber.... ""fill airless mattress" with air? Or is that an oxymoron?:unsure:

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
BTW you all really ain't like me..I didn't know there was that much to an "air pump"...and I am beginning to question you all's sanity for being able to discuss it in such rational and eloquent terms.
Sponsored