Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
Drive-by-wire is still a case-by-case exception.

But there's no requirement for rear steering to be anything particular, so it is almost certainly drive by wire.

Current Teslas with FSD and Autopilot do not have drive-by-wire, it is not required for - and in fact may be detrimental to adoption of - Advanced Drive Assistance Systems (ADAS). Having a mechanical linkage means you can easily have confidence you can override the computer.

-Crissa
And I dread the thought of an intense solar flairs interrupting your CT electronics while driving in LA and downtown SF.:eek:

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
I said this before... quick steering doesn't mean Drive by wire... Just adjust how much the steering assist motors... assist.

electric power steering is just an electric motor attached to the steering shaft( i think)
Software can easily (and probably already does) control how much it turns when you turn.

WA-CyberDriver

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck - Dual Motor
Country flag
And I dread the thought of an intense solar flairs interrupting your CT electronics while driving in LA and downtown SF.:eek:
All kinds of aircraft are "fly by wire" and don't suffer huge ill affects to whatever solar storms are occurring. Even the massive coronal ejections like the one on 17 April 2022 caused massive ionization of the upper atmosphere but didn't affect the flight electronics of aircraft in the lower altitudes other than disrupting radio communications and shortwave radio interference.

If there ever were enough interference to affect the electronics for FSD in a land vehicle, chances are most of our electrical devices including computers, cell phones, and washing machines would be impacted as well.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I said this before... quick steering doesn't mean Drive by wire... Just adjust how much the steering assist motors... assist.

electric power steering is just an electric motor attached to the steering shaft( i think)
Software can easily (and probably already does) control how much it turns when you turn.
You are describing speed sensitive steering... And yes that exists with mechanical linkage. But those systems do not change the steering ratio , I think.
Mercedes had a mechanical "variable" system that has slower gearing at the center and quicker the further the wheel went off center. Not a true variable steering since that gear ratio was fixed....
BMW had a true variable ratio speed sensitive thing they called active drive. People hated it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ca...e-with-variable-ratio-alongside-its-yoke/amp/

Last edited:

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
All kinds of aircraft are "fly by wire" and don't suffer huge ill affects to whatever solar storms are occurring. Even the massive coronal ejections like the one on 17 April 2022 caused massive ionization of the upper atmosphere but didn't affect the flight electronics of aircraft in the lower altitudes other than disrupting radio communications and shortwave radio interference.

If there ever were enough interference to affect the electronics for FSD in a land vehicle, chances are most of our electrical devices including computers, cell phones, and washing machines would be impacted as well.
You apparently have not driven in LA. I picked up my phone and in milliseconds, I was involved in a collision. :eek:

Planes can glide and all others are are not within miles so a momentary interruptions in its electronics is not fatal. And I read that it their electron shields are now reinforced.

BigAl

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If you look back when this video was first released, I noticed the same thing... and know with everything else being mentioned, I'm more prone to believe that it is steer by wire... would fit nice with the new Brembo brake system as well.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Planes can glide and all others are are not within miles so a momentary interruptions in its electronics is not fatal.
True "most" of the time, but during takeoff, landing or when near the airport a momentary interruption or unintended command would most likely be catastrophic. Even all alone at 30,000 feet, a mixed signal could be catastrophic. In 1991 a Boeing 767 crashed because a reverse thruster engaged mid-flight. No one survived. The cause was believed to be a short in a wire harness.

Regardless of Drive-by-wire or Fly-by-wire. If solar activity could affect either system, it could very easily be catastrophic.
Sponsored