Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I need help understanding this. In the newly released Top Gear interview @ 14:44, he mentions all the new tech that had to be implemented into the CT. He said "...Steer by Wire, Steer by braking..." Do any of you think he meant to say " Steer by wire, Brake by wire???

Just asking...

Sponsored

Jumpman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Cooper SE, Honda Ridgeline, Acura NSX
Country flag
Maybe he's referring to a torque vectoring type system?

CyberOwl

First Name
Ace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Foundation Series AWD, Model 3 RWD, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Foul Owl
Country flag
Great question, I was wondering the same thing. Really hoping he meant brake by wire šŸ¤ž although steer by braking is a curious term. Anyone catch the ā€˜air benderā€™ description? šŸ¤Æ

PS Would it be possible to use the mechanical diff to regen steer? Like recapture energy from inside wheel by engaging diff in a turn? Seems possible, but canā€™t quite wrap my head around it

Last edited:
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Toyota Sienna, Pleasure-way RV
Occupation
Air Force Officer (ret), Investor, E-Commerce
Country flag
I think it means apply brake on one side to send power to opposite side, thereby vectoring, for front or rear "axle" on dual-motor and just front wheels on tri-motor since rear will have independent motor vectoring.

OP
OP
BigAl

BigAl

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Many cars have this feature already, nothing new.
In what aspect? Brake by wire is newā€¦ if you know of vehicles already utilizing it, please share. Brembo Sensify is what Iā€™m eluding to.

cybercoffee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYLR
Country flag
Great question, I was wondering the same thing. Really hoping he meant brake by wire šŸ¤ž although steer by braking is a curious term. Anyone catch the ā€˜air benderā€™ description? šŸ¤Æ

PS Would it be possible to use the mechanical diff to regen steer? Like recapture energy from inside wheel by engaging diff in a turn? Seems possible, but canā€™t quite wrap my head around it
I interpreted it as he was speaking fast and actually meant brake by wire.

Fugue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR FSD, camper van, CT3 FSD preordered
Occupation
Tech Industry Grunt
Country flag
OP
OP
BigAl

BigAl

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
In what aspect? Brake by wire is newā€¦ if you know of vehicles already utilizing it, please share. Brembo Sensify is what Iā€™m eluding to.
So I just watched the live stream with Chris and Kyle, and Kyle said there are many brake by wire, but itā€™s new for Bremboā€¦ ā€œSensifyā€

VR Driving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
Mercedes had Brake by wire back in the early 2000s, steer-by-brake is just brake torque vectoring, which has been featured on many sports cars for over a decade.

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
Many tractors have steering by braking (using two brake pedals). Its kind of awesome for turning radius and other tricky spots in off-road situations.

scottyah

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mountaineer
Country flag
Jason Cammisa said the Lucid does it, they do regen braking on the inside wheels during sharp turns. Apparently it's better than any Tesla handling so it'd be cool to see it for the first time in a cybertruck. I assume it's mechanical otherwise they could have sent it out via a software update

mgarciaknight

First Name
MG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
JLU80, HD Deluxe, HD Sportster
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Its like the original big wheel that we had as kids. It had the brake on the rear wheel and when you would go and brake fast it would spin you. Now imagine tesla computers braking certain tires to facilitate a turn.
Tesla Cybertruck Steer by Wire... Steer by Braking?? IMG_9153

OP
OP
BigAl

BigAl

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That would be something if it were true. Guess weā€™ll have to wait till someone dives in on it.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
That would be something if it were true. Guess weā€™ll have to wait till someone dives in on it.
Every car with ESP/Stability assist does steer by brake.

It's a common misconception that the tyre patch steering orientation is the only thing that make vehicle turn. ESP on most cars can pull a car in the opposite direction of the steering angle, by simply braking on the side they want to go. Any cars with brake by wire actually accelerate on the outside to "tank turn" while you are skidding. It's the effective RPM difference of the contact patch of the tyre that makes you turn, not just the angle of steering.
Sponsored