Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Been watching Matt’s Off Road Recovery a bunch lately.

Lake beds seem to be a popular place to get stuck lately. Apparently it’s very tempting to roll out onto the big expanses of dried up mud only to discover it’s a lot softer than it looks.
It's a game of chicken. I once walked out onto a dry lake bed only to bust through the surface and end up in knee-deep NASTY black stinky mud!
Notice I said ONCE! :)
BTW, Last week I was in Hurricane on vacation and went by Matt's shop. Unfortunately they were filming, so I couldn't go inside. But Ed was driving out, and I got to chat with him for a few minutes. He was very nice.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck is waterproof enough to serve as a boat to cross rivers, lakes & calm seas -- confirms Musk 🚤 PXL_20221020_172337470
Sponsored

Last edited:

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Many deep creek crossings on this trail.

With Cybertruck no worry about drowning it but there was one DIY bridge made of random tree limbs that looked real sketchy.

--------------------------------------

Just waiting for something bad to happen… Worst case you drown your car!
OLD TELEGRAPH TRACK - North section Cape York - Queensland - Australia.
Oct 28, 2022
GrizzlyNbear Overland

-----

slomobile

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Roboticist
Country flag
So it can handle land, it can handle water. But muddy transitions can stop it. I started thinking

It needs a pair of deployable ramps that can be carried as cargo. They can be set down in front of wheels, be driven over, then picked up behind. They can be used to climb into and out of water on soft banks. Or any time it is critical to reduce ground pressure. The underside of these ramps could contain inflatable pontoons to help bridge gaps. Or strap beneath a floating Cybertruck to raise the waterline and become an actual pontoon. They could also contain the sea motors so they arent permanent weight on the Cybertruck. Then I vaguely remembered seeing something like that before with a unique deployment system.

The Tracker Wacker

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I worry about
So it can handle land, it can handle water. But muddy transitions can stop it. I started thinking

It needs a pair of deployable ramps that can be carried as cargo. They can be set down in front of wheels, be driven over, then picked up behind. They can be used to climb into and out of water on soft banks. Or any time it is critical to reduce ground pressure. The underside of these ramps could contain inflatable pontoons to help bridge gaps or serve as actual pontoons to raise the waterline. They could also contain the sea motors so they arent permanent weight on the Cybertruck. Then I vaguely remembered seeing something like that before.

The Tracker Wacker
They are called treads.

You are talking about a convertible treaded vehicle. A Cybertank.

slomobile

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Roboticist
Country flag
They are called treads.

You are talking about a convertible treaded vehicle. A Cybertank.
No. Treads are flexible. Tracks are rigid. Like ramps are rigid.
If you want to equate it to treads, it is just the bottom, useful halfs of 2 treads, without imposing all the permanent mobility constraints of treads, except while they are actually deployed.
Like these https://www.overlandexpo.com/compass/best-traction-boards-for-overlanding/ except long enough to span CT wheelbase.
Sponsored