Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag
Here l wanna mention RIMAC and the upcoming Tesla Roadster 2. I'd love to drive both to discover what they do, and what's different about the Driving experience. Guess l'll wait for Doug DeMuro. 'Thissssss'
Sponsored

mhaze

First Name
mhike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3; Smartcar; F150 Raptor; Avalanche 2500 4x4
Country flag
.....If you have a 500 mile battery, you will spend the least time at the Superchargers.
If it's available, I'll likely get the 500er. But there's no one best configuration. A 300er or even 250er at the right price would be extremely popular.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
If it's available, I'll likely get the 500er. But there's no one best configuration. A 300er or even 250er at the right price would be extremely popular.
The amount of time saved getting the 500 mile truck is likely quite small. Definitely not worth the $20k Price diff. More a side benefit to the rest of the reasons youā€™d want 500 miles range.

datechboss101

First Name
Akaash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Acura MDX
Occupation
IT Help Desk
Country flag
If you tow, go long distances, donā€™t have access/availability or capacity at charging stations.
Just saw a dude on Youtube who drove his Model Y from Orlando to California. That vehicle was super inefficient. Like 70% of charge yielded ~150 miles of range, although he charged to 80% most of the time. Just alot of time wasted at Superchargers rather than covering more distance and getting to final destination quicker.

What EVs lack is the same range and distance of ICE vehicles. ICE still rules in areas, but EVs have their own benefits. All the longer range EVs that are actually comparable to ICE vehicles costs over $100k, whereas $20k new ICE vehicles can achieve same range at a lower price.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Just saw a dude on Youtube who drove his Model Y from Orlando to California. That vehicle was super inefficient. Like 70% of charge yielded ~150 miles of range, although he charged to 80% most of the time. Just alot of time wasted at Superchargers rather than covering more distance and getting to final destination quicker.

What EVs lack is the same range and distance of ICE vehicles. ICE still rules in areas, but EVs have their own benefits. All the longer range EVs that are actually comparable to ICE vehicles costs over $100k, whereas $20k new ICE vehicles can achieve same range at a lower price.
I go from Central Oregon to Central California multiple times a year. Used to do it in my Subaru, not in my Model Y. Its 500 miles and it takes about the same time as my Subaru does. Often itā€™s faster because my Model Y runs a lot smoother at 75-80MPH than my Subaru.

Assuming you buy a modern EV with decent range, you will find the most remarkable thing about owning one is that is it fundamentally not that different from an ICE vehicle.

Last edited:

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Sir, that is a very incorrect statement. While it's true that fully blown ICE vehicles (proper vehicles for us car enthusiasts) won't be on sale by 2035 (thanks to a particular group of inconsiderate jerks), however, gas stations will exist still. Porsche is working on eFuel at the moment, which will allow your gas-powered vehicle to run even longer. Please remember, not everyone can afford an EV, even with the tax credits (cuz tax credits don't lower the MSRP of the vehicle at all, rather it lowers the amount of money you owed to the IRS; another topic I'll keep away from).

If anything, I'll see the CT and MY not being in the fleet longer than 10 years, but I'll bring my MDX to my grave with me.
šŸ˜ŠIt wouldnā€™t make any sense to stop selling gasoline that day after ICE vehicles are forbidden for sale. Iā€™d wait at least ten years after the forbidden sales day. That would make it more like 2045.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Sometimes slower is faster, in an EV.

That dude must've been hauling (or with terrible headwinds) to make those numbers.

-Crissa

datechboss101

First Name
Akaash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Acura MDX
Occupation
IT Help Desk
Country flag
I go from Central Oregon to Central California multiple times a year. Used to do it in my Subaru, not in my Model Y. Its 500 miles and it takes about the same time as my Subaru does. Often itā€™s faster because my Model Y runs a lot smoother at 75-80MPH than my Subaru.

Assuming you buy a modern EV with decent range, you will find the most remarkable thing about owning one is that is it fundamentally not that different from an ICE vehicle.
I have a huge habit of putting cars to its limits. Wouldā€™ve put dadā€™s Model Y to its limits in terms of range, but Farmers insurance gave the bird to me and forced them to sign a stupid contract. Otherwise, you bet 100%, Iā€™d get better range in 80% of charge than most people on a LR MY.

That dude must've been hauling (or with terrible headwinds) to make those numbers.

-Crissa
Alright. Iā€™ll test that theory whenever Elon tells me the delivery date. Cuz Iā€™m that one dude that drives 10 under over longer distances. If bearded tesla took 3.5 days, itā€™ll sure take me 5+ at my rate. Maybe the Cybertruck Tri-motor will lower the amount of days it takes for C2C2C trip.

Cannonballing an EV would actually be interesting.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Alright. Iā€™ll test that theory whenever Elon tells me the delivery date. Cuz Iā€™m that one dude that drives 10 under over longer distances. If bearded tesla took 3.5 days, itā€™ll sure take me 5+ at my rate. Maybe the Cybertruck Tri-motor will lower the amount of days it takes for C2C2C trip.

Tesla Cybertruck Any 500mi range updates? Screenshot 2023-02-09 at 9.26.42 PM

I chose the short-range Cybertruck in their calculator. You can try other vehicles.

-Crissa

CoachTerry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Wellness Coach
Country flag
Who needs a long range battery when a rapid charge battery is a better solution? It would be smaller and lighter.
Ideally, large battery and supercharge capability best of both worlds if you will own it somewhere rural and distant from any charger other than your home.

CoachTerry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Wellness Coach
Country flag
I have a huge habit of putting cars to its limits. Wouldā€™ve put dadā€™s Model Y to its limits in terms of range, but Farmers insurance gave the bird to me and forced them to sign a stupid contract. Otherwise, you bet 100%, Iā€™d get better range in 80% of charge than most people on a LR MY.

Please stay off the roads where I drive. The 10 under folks cause so much discomfort in urban areas like DC! Selfish.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag

Have you driven a new $20K ICE vehicle on the highway for thousands of miles? Awful.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag

-Crissa
That hasn't been my experience in my Model 3. If you are on a road with normally spaced Superchargers, and you properly manage the battery state of charge, it always takes less time the faster you drive (even at 100 mph). The additional Supercharging time is minimal compared to the time you save arriving to each charger faster.

The reverse would be true only if the driver decided it was a good idea to keep the state of charge managed between 50% and 90%.

mhaze

First Name
mhike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3; Smartcar; F150 Raptor; Avalanche 2500 4x4
Country flag
Have you driven a new $20K ICE vehicle on the highway for thousands of miles? Awful.
Reminds me of gaming like "smallest rowboat to cross the Atlantic" or "airplane that flies and has a 9 foot wingspan" and "Guy on bicycle goes 650 miles in one day".

That's not the way.
Sponsored