Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Lol, I think were the cheapest in the nation, we have a big hydroelectric dam on each end of town
Someday…

Solar array on each end of town will be the equivalent!
Sponsored

YeahYeahYeah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tundra(sold),02 Subaru Outback,1967 Fastback
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck Anyone considering getting Solar with the new Green Act 3987612369_5879122fb4_c

We also have the Wildhorse Windfarm harnessing the storms coming in from The Pacific and Alaska, maybe one day they'll tap into the Cascade volcanoes?

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
3987612369_5879122fb4_c.jpg

We also have the Wildhorse Windfarm harnessing the storms coming in from The Pacific and Alaska, maybe one day they'll tap into the Cascade volcanoes?
Is it possible? You’re drowning in Hydro and in wind?

We have to invent a new metaphor that’s appropo

YeahYeahYeah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Geothermal doesn't change the pressure on the fault lines so it doesn't trigger earthquakes.

The subduction zone is hundreds of miles west, anyhow.

-Crissa

YeahYeahYeah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Geothermal doesn't change the pressure on the fault lines so it doesn't trigger earthquakes.

The subduction zone is hundreds of miles west, anyhow.

-Crissa
It's like 70-100 miles off the coast not hundreds of miles. The Cascadia Subduction Zone is fully loaded and ready to go though.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
It's like 70-100 miles off the coast not hundreds of miles. The Cascadia Subduction Zone is fully loaded and ready to go though.

How do you know it is overdue? Maybe all the previous recorded quakes were early and this one is on time?

besides the tongue in cheek answer, stating a quake is due or overdue in a known quake region is difficult to disprove.

YeahYeahYeah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Video @ 6:15 Michio Kaku mentions core samples made off the coast of ocean sediment(turbidites) dating back 10,000 years which show 41 such quakes. average return time 240 years. Last one was dated to January 26, 1700... so it's been 321 years

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It’s more or less guaranteed sometime in the next 300 years.

But I’m far more likely to be affected by COVID, forest fires, or other climate change impacts.

Tesla Cybertruck Anyone considering getting Solar with the new Green Act 1634091097181

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

The coast is about a hundred miles from the Puget Sound.

Two hundreds is hundreds. Also, the volcanoes are in the Cascades, which are 50 miles from the valley. Portland has a hot-spot in it but none of the other cities do.

-Crissa

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag

https://adventures.is/information/geothermal-energy-iceland/
Iceland is using a lot of geothermal. What could possibly go wrong? The Cascadian subduction zone fuels the volcanoes here. It's overdue for one of the largest earthquakes generated on the planet
At 1:00 she briefly mentioned genetics research, that's a real problem in Iceland with its limited gene pool. They even have an app so they don't end up with a "cousin" by mistake on the bar scene.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The coast is about a hundred miles from the Puget Sound.

Two hundreds is hundreds. Also, the volcanoes are in the Cascades, which are 50 miles from the valley. Portland has a hot-spot in it but none of the other cities do.

-Crissa
well I dont believe too much Sheppard Smith says

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
well I dont believe too much Sheppard Smith says
Well, that's probably fine. There is a risk of massive quakes along the subduction zone, but what we want is lots of little quakes not one big one. The problem isn't that it's stuck, it's that when it slips, it's not stuck, and the whole thing seems primed to go at once. And when that happens, you get a quake and a tsunami like Japan had (or worse).

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
We had a fire storm last year that destroyed multiple towns and threatened several good sized cities. This year my brother and one of my close friends locally had to be evacuated.

I fact, pretty much every year for the past ~7 years running I’ve had friends or family affected by wildfires. Nobody I know of has lost property, but lots and lots of close calls. Many many places I know and have visited have been destroyed by fires.

An earthquake that has a 37% chance of hitting in the next 50 years is much farther down my radar.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Well, that's probably fine. There is a risk of massive quakes along the subduction zone, but what we want is lots of little quakes not one big one. The problem isn't that it's stuck, it's that when it slips, it's not stuck, and the whole thing seems primed to go at once. And when that happens, you get a quake and a tsunami like Japan had (or worse).

-Crissa
yep......I was in China on business and we had to go back to Bejing because we were going to Tokyo to change planes.....took 5 days to get back.....ate lots of Chinese food.....hahahaha.....the real Chinese food, not Panda Express
Sponsored

Last edited: