Anyone thinking of changing to a different Tesla model?

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Shame they can't change the name to "Model T" .... :)
You Pokin the bear?? (Me blowing steam/not the sneeze emoji..OK it is the sneeze emoji ?) I have ranted myself sick trying to get that stupid "cyber" and "truck" name removed/changed.
At least the "truck" part of the name I now understand. You see The F-150, the Dodge Ram, The Silverado, The Tundra. None of them have "Truck" in their name because everyone can tell they are a truck. Biggee Ee's people convinced him he needed to call this "Thing" a "Truck" so people would buy it that would only buy a "Truck."
It is not a truck.
Now as to, am I considering another Tesla Model? YES
The Cyberwagon, Someone generated an image of the CT if it was a wagon/van hybrid. And damn that looked much better for my needs. A huge amount better. Let's face it, the rolling vault cover is Bullshit. It was one of those things where they went, "Oh hell how can we get a cover for this hole?" And they went spastic. How many "Moving" parts is that? How much crap can get into it? What happens when it breaks? How big a clusterFock is that going to be? You go to Lowe's to pick-up the new fridge and for some damn reason the rolling door won't open. No option. You wasted a trip.
or worse yet you go camping and it rains at night ..inside the damn vault...
Nope all the silliness of the rolling cover is gone if they just make it a van/wagon...and that is a much larger, useful, personal space. Make it with a "Truck Tailgate" and almost 100% of your "Truck needs are met as well.
If they decide to make the Cybervanagon before they get me my Cyber Vehicle then I will cancel my "truck" order and go get in the vanagon line.

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
No, I won't change to a different model. This is the first vehicle that came along that I would replace my daily driver with. I'm in the 43x,xxx reservation range and that was on purpose.
1) to give ample production line experience before building mine
2) to give 2-3 years+ before I need to retire my DD from service.

I wanted to switch to electric with my next vehicle. I like the Model S, but I wanted more utility. Cybertruck fills the bill.

As far as non Tesla's are concerned, I liked the Hummer H2 and H3 back when they're were hot, but even if the Hummer EV is appealing, it won't have Tesla's best in class battery technology or the bold stainless steel body which we haven't seen used in 40 years. Plus, the thought of the poster child of the gas guzzlers being resurrected as an EV is laughable/desperate/lazy in my opinion.

Kamakalele

First Name
Kunāne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Honda Ridgeline, preordered Dual Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Emergency Department RN, Manager
Country flag
Iā€™m currently Approx 462,000 in the que, Iā€™m figuring I might not get it till end of 2023,, I might not have patience to wait that long. Iā€™m hoping that in 2-3yrs the range of long range model 3 might be up to around 380mi. So possibly I might just buy the dual motor long range model 3, since Iā€™ve never owned a Tesla before. Anybody else considering ordering a different Tesla if their wait becomes too long??
My wife would love for me to get a Model 3 or Model Y. The Model Y makes more sense from an overall family vehicle I guess....but Iā€™m Cybertruck dual motor all the way but wish I could afford Tri Motor. I plan to have this be the last vehicle I buy so I am definitely getting FSD so when I get kupuna (elder) status I can still drive the truck and not have to worry as much about banging into anything...LOL. May save up to buy the ā€œCompact Teslaā€ for the wife in the future.

Bob Owe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 MB GLK 250 Bluetec, 2004 Mini Cooper, 2002 Nissan Frontier
Occupation
car hoarder
Country flag
I'm getting a base Model 3. The one you have to call in for...not standard plus, just standard (Funny it reminds me of how the old Macintosh computers came in the 80's: Mac or Mac+), Figure it would be a good start for me. CT got my attention and the 3 seduced me!!!
It's been Tesla mind control to get me here...still, I'm a willing participant!

Alpeyev

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maybe Cybertruck, Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag
Iā€™m currently Approx 462,000 in the que, Iā€™m figuring I might not get it till end of 2023,, I might not have patience to wait that long. Iā€™m hoping that in 2-3yrs the range of long range model 3 might be up to around 380mi. So possibly I might just buy the dual motor long range model 3, since Iā€™ve never owned a Tesla before. Anybody else considering ordering a different Tesla if their wait becomes too long??
Well I am taking delivery for model 3 LR coming Friday. Talked my wife into trading in her SUV for that so I can get a better idea :)
Not giving up on my CB though.

Brennerman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Accountant
Country flag
I go back and forth with either the cybertruck or Model S.

I have a 1970 f250 I am restoring so I donā€™t really need two trucks.
A model s would fit my families needs just fine.

although, the cyber truck is 70k vs 80k model s, it is stainless steel no paint worries. It may have solar roof option, it will have the new million mile battery, 500+ mile range vs 370 (or even 400 here soon).

In my opinion the cyber truck wins in comparison

Huntsman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Ops
Country flag
The wait is annoying. A model S has been on my wish list for years. Iā€™ve watched Tesla mature, invested in the company as it has done things differently, bought stock years ago. Iā€™ve always driven a truck as a truck, so none of their cars fit my needs but the luxury level of the S is appealing for my non work vehicle. Someday Iā€™ll have an S.
About the truck...
3500 lb payload - that says truck.
SS body - this was it for me, never worry about a branch brushing against the side in the woods, primer gray as it were.
CT Yolk steering wheel makes me smile.
Bed cover is not my style, I see many people drive trucks with covers so Tesla appealed to that crowd. It also adds aero value when closed. If load has vertical volume, cover will be open - great feature.
All wheel drive - great for less than ideal winter driving.
4 door - likely wonā€™t use back seats for pax, will be weather tight for tools, work stuff. Hope the rear seats fold up and leave room for the labs. I would trade back seats for 8ā€™ bed but I dont see that in the future, Iā€™ll hook up a trailer when I need a larger load.
Air suspension, canā€™t say enough about this. Imagine backing up to the trailer then raising the ball into the receiver with the air suspension, one step hook up.
Bullet proof just tickles me.
Zero to 60 speed not a selling feature but nice if you need it - no twin turbo lag like the ICE Ford.
Canā€™t say enough about smart aspects and desire to recharge with solar. I may well buy an S if Misses needs to replace her car but I am absoluting waiting for the CT - hope it gets here sooner than 2022 but enjoying the wait as technology improves knowing all the latest smarts will be in my truck.

bfdog

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250, Honda Element, GX470
Country flag
I go back and forth with either the cybertruck or Model S.

I have a 1970 f250 I am restoring so I donā€™t really need two trucks.
A model s would fit my families needs just fine.

although, the cyber truck is 70k vs 80k model s, it is stainless steel no paint worries. It may have solar roof option, it will have the new million mile battery, 500+ mile range vs 370 (or even 400 here soon).

In my opinion the cyber truck wins in comparison

Having had a 1970 F250 (camper special) (and 1971 F250 camper special, 1977 F150, 1992 F150, 1995 F150, 2002 F250, 2003 F250, 1998 E350, 2008 D2500, 1999 D250), I'm hoping the Tri-Motor cyber truck I have on order is more refined and efficient than the 360 or 390 CID engines in my Camper Specials (and any of the other trucks). Just a little. And I'm looking forward to a tow rating of over 14K and zero-to-60 time of 2.9 seconds (to beat my R1200GSA). My current F250 is fading and rusting on top but I've decide to forego fixing it in favor of saving up for the CT (the quote was $1700?!?!?!).

I'm obsessed with the idea of a cybertruck. I saw a Tesla charging station in front of Baja BBQ in Canyon Lake last night. I've never seen one before. I want to park there so bad.

Miralf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Saab 900 turbo convertible and Tri Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Surgeon
Country flag
I have a volvo v90 leasing until mid 2022 so i hope the CT will be there at time for changing. Need a truck because already have a dodge RAM before and love it but too much expansive in France where Gas is about 2 dollars per liter...

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
And I'm looking forward to a tow rating of over 14K
The spec is 14,000 lbs but I don't know what that means. I expect it means that I can tow a trailer that weighs that much and has tongue weight below some other number all day long on reasonable grade at reasonable speed without overly stressing the traction motors. I'd better have more sense than to haul such a trailer up a 10% grade at 80 mph. At the same time I don't see why I shouldn't be able to haul a 15,000 pound trailer that meets the tongue weight requirement up a 1% grade at 55 mph. I assume more guidance from Tesla will be forthcoming.

Elon has hinted at additional software for towing (again emphasizing the this truck is designed to tow) and that implies a load cell in the coupler such that the vehicle would be able to limit itself to regimes safe for the motors.

and zero-to-60 time of 2.9 seconds
That you will have.

I'm obsessed with the idea of a cybertruck. I saw a Tesla charging station in front of Baja BBQ in Canyon Lake last night. I've never seen one before. I want to park there so bad.
Why don't you then? Chat up some of the people charging and learn some things about Tesla ownership.

Janfoux

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
freelancer
Country flag
Yeah, I'm thinking if it is possible to change my Cybertruck reservation for a Model Y, as it will be available sooner, probably by the end of next year (from Giga Berlin, as I'm in Europe), and whenever (if ever) Cybertruck will be available too, I would trade in the Model Y. Not sure how much is gonna be the loss on the trade in, after about 2 years if I keep it nice, maybe wrap it when brand new to protect the original paint, and I want matte black anyway, not white. Any thoughts on this idea?

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
If something can offer the same performance and range at/below the price of the Tri Motor, I'll consider it. I need a truck for hauling dirty camping equipment, mountain bikes, and even my kids smelly sports gear. I want an EV because it's the future and I'm trying to make the best eco-centric choices I can. I went with the Tri Motor for the range. There's a place I camp that's exactly 498 miles away from my driveway. With the 500 mile range of the Tri Motor, it just makes sense for me to go with that one. Granted, I fully understand that I can't hold my breath on getting 500 miles, especially loaded with camping gear and possibly other passengers (as well as their gear), but that still sells the idea of less charging stops per trip. I don't tow anything, or haul beds of dirt/rocks/whatever, so I don't need it for commercial style work.

The Tri Motor's acceleration is fun, but only icing on the cake. If another Tesla comes with ~500 mile range and similar acceleration for that fun factor, I can make due with the storage. I drive a Volkswagen now, so if I've survived with the limited storage capacity I have now, then I can do the same with at least the M3.

Still, I'd prefer the truck, especially for the +1 seating.
Smelly sports gear? 10% Vodka, 90% water in a spray bottle kills the bacteria that causes that BO smell. I was an extra in Independence Day: Resurgence and the costuming people used that because you can't launder the clothes without ruining the dusty look they created. It was fun and I learned something.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
The spec is 14,000 lbs but I don't know what that means. I expect it means that I can tow a trailer that weighs that much and has tongue weight below some other number all day long on reasonable grade at reasonable speed without overly stressing the traction motors. I'd better have more sense than to haul such a trailer up a 10% grade at 80 mph. At the same time I don't see why I shouldn't be able to haul a 15,000 pound trailer that meets the tongue weight requirement up a 1% grade at 55 mph. I assume more guidance from Tesla will be forthcoming.

Elon has hinted at additional software for towing (again emphasizing the this truck is designed to tow) and that implies a load cell in the coupler such that the vehicle would be able to limit itself to regimes safe for the motors.

That you will have.

Why don't you then? Chat up some of the people charging and learn some things about Tesla ownership.
I'd be careful overloading the CT... Tesla has telemetrics and will know what size load you were hauling when you burn out a motor and could possibly use that to refuse warranty work... Maybe.

Reactions: Geo

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I don't think any motors will be burning out because the vehicle will be monitoring torque and current and will protect itself if one tries, for example, to go too fast up a grade that is too steep. It will probably also refuse to move if tongue weight is too high.
Sponsored

Reactions: Geo