Thinking about to cancel my Foundation AWD order

Cyber Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne, Awaiting Cyberbeast
Country flag
If you don't want a Foundation truck, then just chill. Others who have called Tesla have said the same thing. You are't going to the back of the line.

People are getting a little confused with this thread, there are two conditions going on here:

1. Someone got their email and ORDERED a Foundation truck and then decided that they didn't want iy
  2. People who got their email, or even those didn't get an email
If you are in group 1, got email and ordered the Cybertruck and then decide to lose it, you pay more money, you of course lose the truck, but more specifically you lose your reservation

If you are in group 2, chill

Moral of story, if you aren't sure and you get a Foundation order request, don't order until you are sure you are ready.
I don't think there is any confusion that there are two groups, at least for me. The point is to understand what options we have to move between these two groups. Before I spoke with Tesla rep, my understanding was that once you place the order, it's a done deal. When I spoke with them today, the rep clearly told me you can go from group 1 to group 2 if you change your mind AFTER ordering Foundation Series. The agreement says once you "complete the order". After you put 1K deposit, there are few more steps to take before "completing the order". So he told me to change my preference to either go for dual motor or non-foundation series. I can't do it now as the VIN is not allocated, but when it's allocated, I need to contact them and tell them to keep the reservation but change the vehicle type. That'll put me in group 2 again without losing my position in line.

You seem to say once you put 1K deposit, there is no going back - you lose it AND go back to the end of the line if you don't want to proceed. That's not true based on what they told me, and this is what I have been trying to say from the beginning.

It'll be sad for folks to cancel FS order without knowing there was an option to defer the purchase if they change their mind AFTER putting 1K deposit.

The foundation series is not available immediately to go take delivery. It'll take several months, and people change mind or financial situation changes. So this is a unique circumstance unlike other car deliveries. I'm not surprised if they let reservation holders move to group 2 after putting 1K deposit, especially when the demand is high. 1K is non-refundable, so you have to buy a Cybertruck, but you get to decide when you are ready.

Bottom line - please contact Tesla and speak to a rep before blindly cancelling your FS order. You don't want to regret later for losing your position in line.
Sponsored

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I don't think there is any confusion that there are two groups, at least for me. The point is to understand what options we have to move between these two groups. Before I spoke with Tesla rep, my understanding was that once you place the order, it's a done deal. When I spoke with them today, the rep clearly told me you can go from group 1 to group 2 if you change your mind AFTER ordering Foundation Series. The agreement says once you "complete the order". After you put 1K deposit, there are few more steps to take before "completing the order". So he told me to change my preference to either go for dual motor or non-foundation series. I can't do it now as the VIN is not allocated, but when it's allocated, I need to contact them and tell them to keep the reservation but change the vehicle type. That'll put me in group 2 again without losing my position in line.

You seem to say once you put 1K deposit, there is no going back - you lose it AND go back to the end of the line if you don't want to proceed. That's not true based on what they told me, and this is what I have been trying to say from the beginning.

It'll be sad for folks to cancel FS order without knowing there was an option to defer the purchase if they change their mind AFTER putting 1K deposit.

The foundation series is not available immediately to go take delivery. It'll take several months, and people change mind or financial situation changes. So this is a unique circumstance unlike other car deliveries. I'm not surprised if they let reservation holders move to group 2 after putting 1K deposit, especially when the demand is high. 1K is non-refundable, so you have to buy a Cybertruck, but you get to decide when you are ready.

Bottom line - please contact Tesla and speak to a rep before blindly cancelling your FS order. You don't want to regret later for losing your position in line.
I think that you are not quite getting my point. When you dropped your order, you got back in line as a brand-new order. In other words, your vehicle may be years away. Remember, you keep saying that the rep said "the rep clearly told me you can go from group 1 to group 2 if you change your mind AFTER ordering Foundation Series" The rep didn't say that you'd go back in line where you were. This has been confirmed by others.

Cyber Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think that you are not quite getting my point. When you dropped your order, you got back in line as a brand-new order. In other words, your vehicle may be years away. Remember, you keep saying that the rep said "the rep clearly told me you can go from group 1 to group 2 if you change your mind AFTER ordering Foundation Series" The rep didn't say that you'd go back in line where you were. This has been confirmed by others.
I get your point because that's exactly what my understanding was before I spoke with them.

First of all, I didn't cancel my order, as I already mentioned. The rep insisted I don't change anything in the order right now because it'll make me lose my position in line. He told me clearly that the very reason not to cancel the order is to not lose my position in line. He said just change the vehicle preference when VIN is allocated, so that I stay in the same position in line and buy CT when I'm ready. I don't know whether the rep had the latest accurate information, but I'm just telling what he told me.

Also, there is no such thing as dropping the order and keeping the same reservation number. If you cancel the order, that reservation number is gone, along with all the deposit amount for that reservation. I didn't cancel my order. If you make a new reservation, you'll get new reservation number and obviously you go back to the end of the line.

I just want to make sure folks don't click that "cancel order" button without knowing all the options they have. The OP is contemplating with this decision. I'm in the same boat. There is an option to defer buying Foundation series after putting 1K deposit. I'll go to a local showroom tomorrow to double-confirm this.

Last edited:

Deleted member 22048

If you cancel your CT foundation series order after paying the $1,000 deposit you will lose the $1,000 non refundable deposit..

JoeRod97

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Camaro SS.Impala.BMW335i.HD Road King.Fatboy
Occupation
UPS driver..retired
Country flag
Bring me the china land if you realy have it. I reserved 2 dual motors on reveal day dec4.they were 3 minutes apart..their rerervation #s are 3k apart! 3000 in 3 minutes! Probably slower now but 3k in 3 minutes! Thats insane.

JoeRod97

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
UPS driver..retired
Country flag
I feel you. I guess we have different interpretations of investment.

to me an investment is something you make that will in theory provide dividends in the future.

The CT is not that. Nor any other average car that doesn’t cost $500k + and have a very limited production. IMO CT doesn’t fall into that category.

I think every person buying the FS or the production model to follow has to ask themselves a question.

how badly do you want it?

If you really want it and are happy to pay the extra $20k for it, awesome. You do you! I happen to be one of those people. I’m buying the FS because I think it will be a really fun ride and I’m happy to pay extra to get it early and enjoy it.

If someone doesn’t want to do that then just wait for the production model.

But seriously the copious amount of whining and complaining on this MB by those who are unhappy with what has transpired with the CT over the last 6 weeks is getting really tiresome.

Get over it people. It’s a goddamn truck. If you don’t want it, move on.
EXACTLY! Nobody is forcing you to buy it.its basically need/ want.its a toy! Do you need it? Or do you want it..I WANT IT! TAKE MY 20K EXTRA..

Cyber Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
EXACTLY! Nobody is forcing you to buy it.its basically need/ want.its a toy! Do you need it? Or do you want it..I WANT IT! TAKE MY 20K EXTRA..
LOL. You are so right. I ordered Cyberbeast within one hour of getting the Foundation Series invitation.

I want that toy so much that I'm willing to let go of my other beloved toys, but I'll be a cranky kid if I find out that my toy battery lasts less than 50% of the advertised number. That's the only thing keeping me awake at night, making me cranky already! haha

CyberTruckeeTheOne

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4runner
Occupation
Retired Operating Plans & Forecasting Manager
Country flag
That makes more sense, when Tesla contact you again giving you availability date for your FS, tell them you changed your mind and would defer to a non FS model.

No harm-no foul, your FS goes to the r next person in the wait list and you get to the queue when your preferred CT model iis ready to be produced - like in 2026, lol..

JoeRod97

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
UPS driver..retired
Country flag
These comments on this thread have been very interesting to me.

Lots of talk about overpaying, cash grabs, CT not worth it, etc.

I mean I totally get it. $100k for a truck is a shit ton of cash. That being said, I'm looking at this from a different perspective. To me it's much more simple.

If you can afford it and it brings you joy, why not get the FS CT?

To me, not everything in life has to be a great investment. Not everything has to bring a $$ ROI.

Somethings are meant to simply bring happiness.

Let me go out on a limb like the deranged person I am and mention something that comes to mind.

DOGS!

Dogs are a terrible investment if you look at them simply through to the lens of $$ as it relates to ROI. They are smelly, expensive, and a fuck ton of work. That being said, their ROI to me is simply having an amazing companion that gives unconditional love even while it's shitting on your carpet... Wifey and I can't imagine our lives without El Doggos in it.

I know this is a weird post but I like to look at things that I bring into my life in a different way.

Does it bring me joy? If it does, then I can look past the simple question of does it seems like a prudent investment/purchase.

Maybe the FS CT falls into this category for you or maybe it doesn't. It certainly does for me.
Dogs and a CT...im in!! Lifes to short..Eat the cake,buy the shoes..buy the CT!!

JoeRod97

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
UPS driver..retired
Country flag
I feel you. I guess we have different interpretations of investment.

to me an investment is something you make that will in theory provide dividends in the future.

The CT is not that. Nor any other average car that doesn’t cost $500k + and have a very limited production. IMO CT doesn’t fall into that category.

I think every person buying the FS or the production model to follow has to ask themselves a question.

how badly do you want it?

If you really want it and are happy to pay the extra $20k for it, awesome. You do you! I happen to be one of those people. I’m buying the FS because I think it will be a really fun ride and I’m happy to pay extra to get it early and enjoy it.

If someone doesn’t want to do that then just wait for the production model.

But seriously the copious amount of whining and complaining on this MB by those who are unhappy with what has transpired with the CT over the last 6 weeks is getting really tiresome.

Get over it people. It’s a goddamn truck. If you don’t want it, move on.
Exactly

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
I might be a good idea to get 2 and leave one in the box when collecting. LOL