Apple iCar -- Your Thoughs?

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
I would like to see what Apple does, but wouldn't buy it. Honestly, the only way I would buy an Apple car would be if Steve Jobs was still around. Steve Jobs was Apple. He required quality. Tim Cook just makes Apple look like everyone else, sadly. Sure, it can lead to dollars; but, that's not Steve Jobs' Apple. Steve Jobs wasn't about keeping up with the Jones'. That's not the Apple I bought into years ago with the iPhone 4, continuing through 5s, to 7 Plus, to my current 11 Pro Max, with MacAir, iPad Pro, and Macbook Pro 16" i9. I'm anything but anti-Apple, but I don't hold AAPL anymore because AAPL didn't really move positively for months in 2020. I won't go so far as to say Apple is a bad investment, but I have to look and assess today, where when Jobs was around, I just bought. peace
Sponsored

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
So here's the thing. Everyone wants to know what an Apple car will be like because they were so successful with the iPod and iPhone. But both of those products broke into markets that were in horrible disarray with no clear leadership in technology. Remember the old MP3 players? Remember flip phones? How about Blackberry? Sure there were a lot of devices out in the marketplace but other than Blackberry, no one was in love with their device. The devices were just way more convenient than the previous replaced technology.

Then Apple comes in and revolutionized the marketplace. And they built their tech in an easy to use, much more capable, and beautifully designed way. Of course those sold (hind site here and all).
I was around when all this emerged. Apple created the iPod era, and IPhone created the smartphone era. This was all Steve Jobs. This was when Apple was an innovator. Today, they copy, they cheat, and they cut corners. Today, Apple isn't any longer Apple as I knew it. Sadly, they likely won't get back to that, either. Apple today is millenialized. And, that isn't what made Apple great. peace

Cyberrides

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A few
Occupation
Industrial Construction
Country flag
The real question should ask, Apple car article, what was their intention.
There is no apple car! The article was simply a stock play,

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This looks like the most accurate response to my knowledge.

Per this Video Apple is most likely to acquire Lucid motors in order to produce its autonomous car.

In this video at 9:15 under APPLE CAR DESIGN AND MANUFACTURING LEAKS he says "recent reports are showing that Apple already has an established factory in the U.S., a production plan and estimated technology and spec's for the Apple Car".

I wasn't sure exactly what to think about the report of an "established factory". It is well known that Apple keeps it's plans secret until they are ready to release them. The Lucid Motors connection in the video you posted makes the most sense of all scenarios IMO. They just completed Phase 1 of their factory in AZ. so that would jive with "established factory" for the Apple Car. If Apple does acquire Lucid or even partner with them this would be a big game changer. As in all business there will be some M&A's in the electric car industry(auto manufacturers and suppliers) so in 10-15 years the playing field will look somewhat different than it does today.

The guy in the video you posted needs to lay off the caffeine :ROFLMAO: but he if he has good sources I can see a plan in the making for Apple that does make sense. And the Project Titan name could have come from Toshiba's Lithium Titanate battery.

I don't think Apple is interested in building trucks or Semi's so Tesla has no worries there. It could play out that in the 10 yrs or so Tesla will dominate the BEV truck and Semi market but have stiff competition in the car market.

If this does play out Apple Car will be a big hit and autonomous driving is the future. I personally don't care to drive especially in high traffic areas. I would just assume let the vehicle drive through autonomous FSD, less aggravation and frustration. I would like to take over on long trips in the last mile(s) and on more treacherous roads like mountain switchbacks. I'm looking forward to full FSD and it can't come soon enough.

It seems the cat is out of the bag as far as the Apple Car and we will be hearing more about it sooner than later.

Elon said he welcomes competition, here it comes!

Cyberrides

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A few
Occupation
Industrial Construction
Country flag
I was Just watching Gali while you posted. Interesting theory.

Bond007

First Name
Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag

In this video at 9:15 under APPLE CAR DESIGN AND MANUFACTURING LEAKS he says "recent reports are showing that Apple already has an established factory in the U.S., a production plan and estimated technology and spec's for the Apple Car".

I wasn't sure exactly what to think about the report of an "established factory". It is well known that Apple keeps it's plans secret until they are ready to release them. The Lucid Motors connection in the video you posted makes the most sense of all scenarios IMO. They just completed Phase 1 of their factory in AZ. so that would jive with "established factory" for the Apple Car. If Apple does acquire Lucid or even partner with them this would be a big game changer. As in all business there will be some M&A's in the electric car industry(auto manufacturers and suppliers) so in 10-15 years the playing field will look somewhat different than it does today.

The guy in the video you posted needs to lay off the caffeine :ROFLMAO: but he if he has good sources I can see a plan in the making for Apple that does make sense. And the Project Titan name could have come from Toshiba's Lithium Titanate battery.

I don't think Apple is interested in building trucks or Semi's so Tesla has no worries there. It could play out that in the 10 yrs or so Tesla will dominate the BEV truck and Semi market but have stiff competition in the car market.

If this does play out Apple Car will be a big hit and autonomous driving is the future. I personally don't care to drive especially in high traffic areas. I would just assume let the vehicle drive through autonomous FSD, less aggravation and frustration. I would like to take over on long trips in the last mile(s) and on more treacherous roads like mountain switchbacks. I'm looking forward to full FSD and it can't come soon enough.

It seems the cat is out of the bag as far as the Apple Car and we will be hearing more about it sooner than later.

Elon said he welcomes competition, here it comes!
Absolutely. Gali is one of the GOAT investors who has proven all Wall Street analysts wrong again and again. He is a Tesla fanboy too (like us :D). He seems to be doing his research thoroughly and yes, he is a bit too amateurish (needs to lay off the caffeine as you mentioned). The general aura that Lucid motors tries to create, likely fits perfectly with an Apple product.

Bond007

First Name
Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I used to be put off by his talking style until recently, now realize that he has more substance than finesse.
No wonder Apple shares jumped on this news.

I totally agree with one comment- if Apple buys out or partners with Lucid, then legacy auto is completely screwed. GM , Ford, FCA / Stellantis, and a host of many other European or Asian auto manufacturers, can start counting their days - just like Nikola.
Most of them are profitable because they have a booming base in USA. When that is gone, they’ll be left fighting for scraps.
Tesla has already opened the door to the future. Now there’s no going back

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Up Next: The new Apple IRocket to Mars, and finally, the Tesla Cyberphone...
But seriously, nothing wrong with some competition. It levels the playing field a bit and pushes everyone to do better. As it stands, Tesla has no real competition. Neither VW nor Toyota have anything too scary.

Last edited:

Gvardaman

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW 330ci
Occupation
Country flag
Lots here to discuss!
the amazing day that Tesla stock shor up in the last second of trading was the different funds buying the stock, per Tesla’s inclusion into the S&P 500. Kind of crazy to watch in anticipation.
As for Apple not performing well this past year, wasn’t their 4:1 or 5:1 split about the same time as Tesla?
I have been a fan of apple since the late 70s or early 80s. So I am biased, but I know they have the coding acumen and they have fantastic designers and understand UI very well.
They can absolutely create the BMS and drive programming, even tackling self-driving, if they decide to pursue it.
So from that perspective, the non-traditional car stuff can be achieved. What remains? The bodywork, steering, cooling, hvac, glass, latches, seats - all things that exist in many forms. They could purchase an auto company for this expertise or hire he expert workers. I mean, they could buy these components from Aston Martin, Lancia, Lotus,, etc. (or buy them?) as well as a small ev company.
They also have Tesla as an example of some amazing new ways to do it.
When I heard this, I thought it was just a rumor and believed that they were developing the software components, but the more I think about it, they could create an amazing, boutique, low volume car.
I also doubt I would ever be able to afford whatever they produce!

However, as with Tesla, maybe they get into a groove and continue to make more in the distant future.

At the end of the day, I want to see as many electric cars on the road as possible and I love Apple products, so I am rooting for them but not expecting anything.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Apple stock rises, Tesla dips after report that ‘iCar’ could emerge in 2024

Published: Dec. 21, 2020 at 4:06 p.m. ET
By
Wallace Witkowski

Apple Inc. shares AAPL, +1.24% closed higher Monday following a report that the tech giant is targeting 2024 as the year it produces a passenger vehicle.

Apple intends to move ahead with its own version of self-driving car technology including a “breakthrough” battery design following a project that began in 2014, Reuters reported, citing people familiar with the matter. Apple declined to comment to Reuters on its plans.

Apple shares finished up 1.2% at $128.23, after being down as much as 2.5% earlier in the session, with a noticeable gain directly after the report hit late in the session.

Tesla Inc. shares TSLA, -6.49% finished down 6.5% at $649.86, following a session where the stock reached an intraday high of 3.8% below Friday’s closing price, and declined directly after the report was released.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/a...rt-that-icar-could-emerge-in-2024-11608584812
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ‘Apple car’ chatter is back with new reports pointing to a 2024 launch date
Kirsten Korosec@kirstenkorosec / 5:07 PM CST•December 21, 2020

The demise of the Apple car, the technology giant’s not-so-secret secret project, was perhaps overstated. Apple’s so-called Project Titan, which last year reduced the team by some 200 employees, is not only alive, it has plans to produce an electric passenger vehicle with “breakthrough battery technology” and automated vehicle technology by 2024, according to a report from Reuters.

It’s unclear what the vehicle will look like, who will be the manufacturing partner or if the self-driving system that Apple has been working on will be part of the car or offered as a software product to other companies. The Reuters article builds off of another report from Taiwanese media outlet Economic Daily Times, which describes Apple ramping up orders for auto parts and components from suppliers in the country. Together, the reports offer confirmation that Apple, while quiet and with a smaller team, hasn’t ditched the idea of a car after all.

Reuters sources describe this as a passenger vehicle, which would put Apple in a different category than autonomous vehicle technology companies like Waymo that are trying to commercialize robotaxi services. (Waymo has said that it is also interested in licensing its AV tech for passenger vehicles, but it’s not the company’s first priority.)

The day-to-day operations of Apple’s Project Titan is led by Doug Field, who returned to the company in 2018 after a stint at electric automaker Tesla. Field, who was senior vice president of engineering at Tesla, was one of the key executives behind the launch of the Model 3. Under Field’s leadership, it appears the Apple car might square off more directly with Tesla than say Alphabet’s Waymo.

Earlier this month, Bloomberg reported that Apple has moved Field and the rest of the Project Titan team under Apple executive John Giannandrea’s artificial intelligence and machine-learning group.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/12/21/t...h-new-reports-pointing-to-a-2024-launch-date/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2024 is a long time away and this is just "unnamed sources" at Apple. There has been a lot of chatter over the last 6 years about an Apple car. They may want to get into the car manufacturing business or wind up selling the architecture for autonomous driving. Either way, if another company could step successfully into the electric car market it would be Apple with their $125+ billions of dollars socked away for a rainy day.

What are everyone's' thoughts on this? Yes, it is not iTruck, but interesting news.

icr.jpg
A car is never gonna happen. they may write software for EV companies and apps, as that is where the $ is.

Bond007

First Name
Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
A car is never gonna happen. they may write software for EV companies and apps, as that is where the $ is.
You may be right, but after living through 2020 are you sure you'd be saying "never gonna happen" again...? :D

Bond007

First Name
Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
At the end of the day, I want to see as many electric cars on the road as possible and I love Apple products, so I am rooting for them but not expecting anything.
At the end of the day, I want to see as many "AMERICAN MADE" electric cars on the road as possible. There, fixed it for you.

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Software and apps only? You have misjudged Apple entirely.

The iPhone is more than software and apps, it is a camera, video recorder and computer as well. The Apple Car will be more than software and apps. Apple designs their own computer chips just like Tesla. The new M1 SoC(processor, I/O, security, and memory)is nothing short of amazing and TSMC makes them for Apple as they do Tesla's computer chips. Apple envisions the Apple Car as more than just an electric car and autonomous driving. The Xpeng P7 comes to mind as to where Apple Car may be headed.

Per Xpeng website for the P7:
One platform delivers full intelligent experience

Built on the SEPA (Smart Electric Platform Architecture) with a comprehensive built-in neural network backed by powerful dual-chip computing system, the P7’s data processing capability eclipses its predecessor to handle more scenarios. Each Firmware OTA upgrade will significantly improve your experience.

200 x faster1
Data bandwidth

8x enhanced2
Data security module
computing power

High-level functional
safety3
Fully secure autonomous
driving computing platform

100% connectivity4
Fast Ethernet
architecture

*1 The system adopts 100M Ethernet central gateway, which is 200 times faster than 500K high-speed CAN bus.

*2 The computing power of the information security module (i.e. the main frequency and RAM) is 8 times faster than that of the previous version.

*3 Xavier SoC core computing platform has passed ASIL D level certification, the highest level of ASIL.

*4 The SEPA controller is 100% networked through the central gateway.

Of course only time will tell what more information is forthcoming about the Apple Car but don't discount an Apple Car just yet.