ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, model s
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Apple will use their mountain of cash to buy a couple of car brands like Ford and VW or BMW and Mercedes when they are ready for bankruptcy. I think they want to rely on these companies' expertise in car manufacture and supply apple software. It could work but probably a mistake. Tesla is proving the old companies' "expertise" is obsolete and all they will get is a brand same as the Chinese got with Volvo. In the end it won't be worth much.
Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Lots of issues with Teslas UI.

But CarPlay is an iPhone extension, TeslaOS is the car. The two are not the same.
Of course. I have no issue with the rest of the UI, just the interaction with media and communications. CarPlay isn't an OS, likely never could be.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Apple will use their mountain of cash to buy a couple of car brands like Ford and VW or BMW and Mercedes when they are ready for bankruptcy. I think they want to rely on these companies' expertise in car manufacture and supply apple software. It could work but probably a mistake. Tesla is proving the old companies' "expertise" is obsolete and all they will get is a brand same as the Chinese got with Volvo. In the end it won't be worth much.
Apple has never bought established manufacturers before. It would be a change in strategy.

-Crissa

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Apple has a test track in Wickenburg AZ for their own self driving cars. I thought this was common knowledge. One day, the iCar will be introduced, out of thin air. This is the Apple way. The closest I can get to the facility even on a dirt bike, I couldn't see anything fun.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I wonder if the iCar will have Android Auto?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Of course. I have no issue with the rest of the UI, just the interaction with media and communications. CarPlay isn't an OS, likely never could be.
Would love to have the Apple/ CapPlay media player with access to phones media. I tend to just use the phone interface which sucks when driving (and illegal locally)

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
They might buy a legacy company to pick the bones. i.e., brand. Any more than that is throwing good money after bad.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
They might buy a legacy company to pick the bones. i.e., brand. Any more than that is throwing good money after bad.
Neither Tesla nor Apple acquire companies for brand names like this. I suppose Beats?! Might be the sole exception to this, but it’s arguable that beats was as much about some of the other assets they owned.

Seriously doubt Apple will want GM or Ford. Teslas brand already exceeds both.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
The very reason we don't have CarPlay is the reason Apple would never buy something to make a new product line. Not invented here--no good. Musk and Apple have that same mentality. For good and bad, though really, mostly good. Both have up-ended markets and have the best cost-return proposition in their fields.
Sponsored