Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
You're missing out.

The power of unix with the ease of a well-tested UI...

I've always straddled the line, but the Apple-hate is usually undeserved.

-Crissa
lol I can't stand it.... work gave me an Apple for a month and it was the worst experience of my life - I went back to my Samsung Galaxy with a smile on my face
Sponsored

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
That's up to you but in my opinion, which is based on decades of computer management, you're misguided. I wonder if your opinion is based on your remote location in the middle of BC. Five Apple Stores in Vancouver plus one in Kelowna doesn't help.
I was provided an IPhone for work and it was the worst phone I had ever used in my life... I happily returned to my Samsung galaxy.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I was provided an IPhone for work and it was the worst phone I had ever used in my life... I happily returned to my Samsung galaxy.
Hey, I don't like the iPhone, either. I have a Pixel. I hate it. I think all phones are designed to be hated now.

But it's a curated tool. It's all about the control of the experience. A Mac is different; it has all the knowledge built up after the last forty years of PC design without disregarding the lessons learned. As the administrator of the tool, you are the one curating it.

-Crissa

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Hey, I don't like the iPhone, either. I have a Pixel. I hate it. I think all phones are designed to be hated now.

But it's a curated tool. It's all about the control of the experience. A Mac is different; it has all the knowledge built up after the last forty years of PC design without disregarding the lessons learned. As the administrator of the tool, you are the one curating it.

-Crissa
you can't tell me to like what I don't like Crissa..... it's like liver..... yuck.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
In context to failed Titan program, one has to frame this CarPlay as Apple’s “Hail Mary”OS.

Apple could have chosen to be the CarOS of the future rather than spend it proving that they know nothing about cars, building one and much less managing development of a car - OS or not!

Will CarPlay OS win? Not by Tesla. Tesla is the only car mfgr that matters. OEM’s are EOL. Attrition will be brutal and simply glomming onto a #1 technology company isn’t buying any BEV mfgr salvation. Not from an economic incentive, success by association(read fail) or technological layer can Apple bring anything BEV mfgr’s need.

SteveJobs missed the car and the EV transition. Tim Cook didn’t have the chops but took-on the challenge his way. He treated it as one big supply chain then proceeded to fill-in the gaps with Apple. It is too late. To comeback around now as first production cars are hitting the road to say Oh, BTW Apple will make your in-car layer of technology. Introducing CarPlayOS! The familiar CarPlay you already know is the new operating system of the car future.

No one! Not a single soul worth his salt is going to open its barn doors to let that GOAT technology company into the BEV race. They know exactly how the experience with Apple CarPlayOS plays out.
You sound very confident, and a little biased. So we will just have to see how things play out.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Interesting. I have used every type of computer ever made, and both phone types, and have developed on all of them. I happen to prefer the Apple ecosystem, but people should have a choice so there you go.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Interesting. I have used every type of computer ever made, and both phone types, and have developed on all of them. I happen to prefer the Apple ecosystem, but people should have a choice so there you go.
Apple supports their stuff for longer than anyone else in the industry.

When I bought my first smartphone, Android vendors almost never shipped updates and many didn’t even ship security patches. Google had to fight them tooth and nail to guarantee 2 years support and most of them do that only grudgingly. Even Google themselves drops support for their phones after 3 years.

Meanwhile Apple supports 5+ year old iPhones and iPads and ships security updates even further back. This is why you see 5 year old iPhones getting used and why iPhone resale prices are high. Meanwhile Android phones are nearly worthless after 2 years.

Tesla is same way. They support updates on their cars, the ship CPU replacements and camera replacements for their older vehicles. Nobody else in the industry does this. If there were nothing else Tesla did better, I would support them for this reason alone. Most cars treat software like it’s disposable and after it’s released never ship any updates. This is changing slowly, but nobody else supports their older cars and most have trouble supporting even their current shipping cars.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yep. My 2013 Air didn't age out of the newest operating system until fall 2021. And even then, it's still getting security updates.

It's an ultralight laptop. It went through two keyboards (I have nails and laptop keybords are plastic) and on its fourth battery. How many PCs could do that?

Even the 2008 I had that was plastic and the backplane broke and it had the crappy Intel Duo that was retired really fast was just retired in when I replaced it with the Air. PC laptops' median is two years, not five.

My spouse has had iPhones since the 5. Their median life has been five years.

Of course, I'm kinda a glutton for repairs... I'll keep something limping. But my Androids basically got no updates after a year. It doesn't matter how many screens or batteries or memory I replaced.

-Crissa

Deleted member 12457

you can't tell me to like what I don't like Crissa..... it's like liver..... yuck.
Nobody's telling you what you have to like. I hated liver growing up because my mom basically burned it (her mom never really liked to cook so she never got that training). Beef, chicken and turkey liver can be delicious if cooked by someone who knows what they're doing. I've had the benefit of living in various areas along the West Coast so I've been introduced to good cooking, something that might not be available in Prince George.

Deleted member 12457

Apple supports their stuff for longer than anyone else in the industry.

When I bought my first smartphone, Android vendors almost never shipped updates and many didn’t even ship security patches. Google had to fight them tooth and nail to guarantee 2 years support and most of them do that only grudgingly. Even Google themselves drops support for their phones after 3 years.

Meanwhile Apple supports 5+ year old iPhones and iPads and ships security updates even further back. This is why you see 5 year old iPhones getting used and why iPhone resale prices are high. Meanwhile Android phones are nearly worthless after 2 years.

Tesla is same way. They support updates on their cars, the ship CPU replacements and camera replacements for their older vehicles. Nobody else in the industry does this. If there were nothing else Tesla did better, I would support them for this reason alone. Most cars treat software like it’s disposable and after it’s released never ship any updates. This is changing slowly, but nobody else supports their older cars and most have trouble supporting even their current shipping cars.
I know we're getting off-topic but I still have a working Apple Ti laptop from the very early 2000's along with an iBook my daughter used in college in the early to mid 2000's. Old operating systems but they still work. I gave up suggesting, usually telling people what to buy years ago because most people have already made up their minds without actually trying out things. It's like it used to be with cars, you were either a Ford or Chevy person and nobody could get you to buy the other one. That said, I repaired/replaced batteries in iPhones for years but have given up because it's extremely difficult to deal with the antenna clips but especially because iPhones are simply made to not break in normal use. I'm just hoping Teslas and EVs in general actually last longer with fewer repairs than ICE vehicles.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Nobody's telling you what you have to like. I hated liver growing up because my mom basically burned it (her mom never really liked to cook so she never got that training). Beef, chicken and turkey liver can be delicious if cooked by someone who knows what they're doing. I've had the benefit of living in various areas along the West Coast so I've been introduced to good cooking, something that might not be available in Prince George.
lol there's no such thing as good liver.... it's the texture that grosses me out.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
I’m pretty sure CarPlay is just adding features to the existing CarPlay and not replacing the car OS at all. Still requires the iPhone be present and running the show.

Puts it in a weird place where the car maker has to make an OS for CarPlay or Android Auto to run atop. So a lot of cars will have 3 “OSs”. Their native “OS” which likely sucks. CarPlay and Android Auto. How do you as a car maker ensure a consistent and reliable access to features when you have to support 3 different configurations?

I get that people like their phone platforms… just not following how this makes a ton of sense from the perspective of the auto-maker. People want CarPlay for 3 reasons. #1 because that’s where their media lives. #2 because their car UI sucks. #3 because they want continuity while playing media.

I would like the car play media player on my Tesla… but that’s really it. Mapping on the Tesla is mostly fine. Nearly everything else is fine. If Apple were to make a remote media player for the iPhone that runs on Tesla it would be the best of all things IMO.
Tesla increasingly are having the moat around its platform under attack. BYO phone remains the dominant convention among OEM.

Tesla is the sole carmaker rolling its own UI,AI,FSD,Nav,Ent. and satellite communications interface. Apple wants to pretend that its iPhone apps platform can drive the car interface. GOOG has proven with its Maps that it does a superb job. Apple Maps is PoS anywhere outside N.A. compared to Google Maps.
Tesla are worldwide. Even though Apple sell worldwide, they ignore markets where it suits them. Consequently the apps Apple provides are narrow scope implementations. Take a journey to South America. Quickly you discover how entirely useless is Apple Maps.app.
BUT it just makes it all that much easier for Tesla, at some point, to make a TEOS for transport, home and business - an electric dashboard. Its only a question of…whether Apple will be able to support TEOS when that day comes.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
You sound very confident, and a little biased. So we will just have to see how things play out.
Apple cust. service have mentioned that my file is one of the oldest developer accounts they’ve seen in the system. LOL

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Tesla increasingly are having the moat around its platform under attack. BYO phone remains the dominant convention among OEM.

Tesla is the sole carmaker rolling its own UI,AI,FSD,Nav,Ent. and satellite communications interface. Apple wants to pretend that its iPhone apps platform can drive the car interface. GOOG has proven with its Maps that it does a superb job. Apple Maps is PoS anywhere outside N.A. compared to Google Maps.
Tesla are worldwide. Even though Apple sell worldwide, they ignore markets where it suits them. Consequently the apps Apple provides are narrow scope implementations. Take a journey to South America. Quickly you discover how entirely useless is Apple Maps.app.
BUT it just makes it all that much easier for Tesla, at some point, to make a TEOS for transport, home and business - an electric dashboard. Its only a question of…whether Apple will be able to support TEOS when that day comes.
I strongly suspect Tesla maps and Apple Maps are sourced from mostly the same data. Everyone but Google and even Google to a large extent relies on the Open Street Map project. Serious doubts either company has a big competitive advantage on maps at this point. Even Google’s big maps lead is gone.

That said.

Apple’s UI is limited to the quality of the underlying vehicle platform.

How do you use your iPhone to turn on the climate control when you are away from the car? CarPlay isn’t running. How do you vent the windows or check battery life remotely? Or get notifications your battery charge is done? CarPlay is only active when you are at the car.

When you walk away our car is just as dumb as it was before.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I strongly suspect Tesla maps and Apple Maps are sourced from mostly the same data. Everyone but Google and even Google to a large extent relies on the Open Street Map project.
I always thought Tesla used Google for their navigation. Just did a image search and noticed "Google" in the lower right corner.

Tesla Cybertruck Apple CarPlay to be whole car OS? 1654732259180

Not sure if this is currently true, but it looks like it was at one point.
Sponsored