Are people really selling their Cybertrucks for $200k+ or is that all hype and are there ramifications?

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Again, I am hard put if Tesla can demonstrate hurt or loss by any or all resale.
Exactly.

Same as the fact that scalpers have virtually no impact on extending the wait time for "legit" customers anyway.

This is beacuse like everyone else with multiple orders at the reveal event, everyone could only order one vehicle at a time, and while they processed one order, thousands of other legit customers got ahead of them in the line.

Even if you had 10% of orders as scalpers, the fact that production ramp is so slow, means in the time most of customers get theres in a year or more, even just from the first hour or two of orders, the effect on delaying delivery is meaningless, and likely to be because if some other factor, like delivery location.

On top of this, there has been a huge loss in customers that simply can't afford Teslas jacked up prices now, and not only do they get nothing now and somone else gets further ahead, more than the impact of scalpers, but on top of that Tesla scalpes a $20k premium for others with money to jump the line themselves.

On the flip side Tesla doesn't care about the second hand customer market at all anyway, or the customers losses, and you see the market crash everytime they cut prices on their model range to pump the new car market.

So it is most definitely not a clear cut case of who is the culprit and who is the victim here, and why the subject has so many opinions to start with.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I think you should quite being condescending.

The scalpers are just trying to make a quick buck. If they were "hurt" - may be don't buy a $100k truck.
I don't say it to be condescending, rather to inform that the argument is not that simple to begin with, and that it needs a broader perspective to fully encompass.

I never said it hurts scalpers, I said it wouldn't. It hurts customers and scares them into submission, for no benefit or loss to Tesla anyway, especially since their 2x price hike.

Remind me again what their mission was?

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Yep. I am sure they have lawyers on staff and if they are not litigating something, they are wasting their money. See the part about trying to scare people into not testing the law.
Lol I hope flippers lose every cent. They deserve to.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
I don't say it to be condescending, rather to inform that the argument is not that simple to begin with, and that it needs a broader perspective to fully encompass.

I never said it hurts scalpers, I said it wouldn't. It hurts customers and scares them into submission, for no benefit or loss to Tesla anyway, especially since their 2x price hike.

Remind me again what their mission was?
I'll be condescending to a scalper. They deserve it.

CyberTruckeeTheOne

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4runner
Occupation
Retired Operating Plans & Forecasting Manager
Country flag
Simple logic: Tesla can make money on you by tacking their margins + $20K more on their Cybertruck but you are not allowed to make profit on their vehicle?

What's the basis for your hate people?

Last edited:

evnow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
It hurts customers
How ? You have presented zero arguments as to why ethically scalping is good.

People still waiting in the queue for an invite get angry when people in the front just flip and get unearned profit. They are viewed exactly like people who sell gas for double the price when their is some shortage. Nobody likes scalpers.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
How ? You have presented zero arguments as to why ethically scalping is good.

People still waiting in the queue for an invite get angry when people in the front just flip and get unearned profit. They are viewed exactly like people who sell gas for double the price when their is some shortage. Nobody likes scalpers.
Seriously?

I'm not in the habit of making arguments for what I never said, and you only assume I must mean, by faulty correlation of completely seperate arguments.

Where did I ever say I ethically supported scalping? You say scalping, I say retail? No, I'm saying the clause to resell is unconscionable, most likely illegal and unenforceable, and does nothing to stop scalpers, or improve anyones position in line one iota.

Reality is you could only get one reservation at a time when it was revealed, so thousands of others would have ordered inbetween the time you ordered two, and those muliple orders delivery dates would have months/years between them because of production. Even if you managed to sneak a resale past them, the next delivery would be so far away they would have plenty of time to cancel your next reservation anyway. Nobody is getting more than one atm anyway, mathematically this is just a blip.

Besides, now you can use FS or shares to jump the que anyway, which is an artificial que in the first place as the ordering servers couldn't process the orders fast enough, by the micosecond, or depending on where you are, to get-you one-a-dem "privileged" places in line. Then Tesla offers FS to bulk range of reservation holders anway, depending on location etc, who then get delivery before others with lower numbers, even get a chance to order?

The whole notion of a justified line, or a reason why this clause helps Teslas customers get their vehicle faster by stopping scalping is a complete farce on that count alone.

And then should some early reservation sucker actually get a non-FS 70% or a FS 100% more expensive CT, he gets slammed with the clause, that forces him to sell to Tesla at their under market value price, or get permission to resell to avoid repossession or worse, because he might not be able to repay the higher monthly installments from the Tesla price hike?

Lets flip the argument given the above: prove to me that the clause helps Tesla customers in any meaningful way, given that each vehicle will find its way to a user regardless, that will offset ICE use and is the companies supposed primary mission to sustainability?

As I said, the justifications for the clause are null and void and only hurts the customer.

Coltpete

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Country flag
How about the millions of people that put down a deposit many years ago for a spot in line only to get surpassed and new options they cannot afford coming in front of them?

If Tesla starts suing, a class action could reciprocate
You must not understand how the law works in this country. This wouldn't ever happen due to the vague language Tesla's team of attorneys smartly worded the deposit contract with. There's no basis to sue on. But what do I know, I'm only a litigation attorney!

Coltpete

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Country flag
Ps nothing was promised. Read your reservation agreement. Subject to change.
You hit the nail on the head here. Tesla obligated itself to virtually nothing but at some point and at some price releasing a cybertruck. And they have fulfilled that obligation.

Broski

First Name
Broski
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
You must not understand how the law works in this country. This wouldn't ever happen due to the vague language Tesla's team of attorneys smartly worded the deposit contract with. There's no basis to sue on. But what do I know, I'm only a litigation attorney!
Is slavery still legal? It must be ok then.
Congrats on your law career.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Is slavery still legal? It must be ok then.
Congrats on your law career.
Sadly you are still enslaved by fiat, and even your labour is still sold by your employer or tax, for their benefit as well, it's just that you have a good enough standard of living in your country that you don't complain about it as much. :confused:
Sponsored