Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It was an accident. Musk was surprised and uttered his surprise which was picked up by mics.
it’s was a stupid mistake, but in true Tesla fanboy style, it’s turned out to be a winner.

go a Tesla!
Sponsored

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
It was an accident. Musk was surprised and uttered his surprise which was picked up by mics.
it’s was a stupid mistake, but in true Tesla fanboy style, it’s turned out to be a winner.

go a Tesla!
yeah, I know... He's not THAT good of an actor. But, it sure worked out great for them. Tesla doesn't advertise but that sure kept them in the consumer's conscience for a long time.

craz

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I think people take Elon’s PR speak about the durability of the glass and stainless steel too literally. There’s a Grand Canyon sized gap between the more realistic “it is more durable than the average vehicle” and the common online belief that “it won’t crumble in frontal collisions and first responders can’t break the windows.”

MUSK007

Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S - P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
100% agree

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
part of the reason Tesla has done so well in crash tests is that you can open the doors after a severe crash and it's incredible hard to roll over. I don't even know how many times it would need to roll over to make the doors unusable. That's also on current Teslas, the Cybertruck doors would be even harder to make unusable due to the stainless steel body. Another thing not everyone knows, is that a Tesla will unlock all doors and the trunk when the airbags are activated, making it easier to get in.

The only time that i see it as a problem would be if someone was passed out in their car and unresponsive with the doors locked. While it's unfortunate if that happens...i would rather have some nice unbreakable windows to help protect from theft.

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
part of the reason Tesla has done so well in crash tests is that you can open the doors after a severe crash and it's incredible hard to roll over. I don't even know how many times it would need to roll over to make the doors unusable. That's also on current Teslas, the Cybertruck doors would be even harder to make unusable due to the stainless steel body. Another thing not everyone knows, is that a Tesla will unlock all doors and the trunk when the airbags are activated, making it easier to get in.

The only time that i see it as a problem would be if someone was passed out in their car and unresponsive with the doors locked. While it's unfortunate if that happens...i would rather have some nice unbreakable windows to help protect from theft.
Armored <> unbreakable.

I have always been on the opinion if they want something in the car, let em have it rather than spend $200-300 bucks on a new side window. Which is why i never keep anything of value in my vehicles.

You can bet the CT windows wont be nearly that cheap. Even if they are kept out, you can bet they can smash them in the attempt (AKA Franz ball bearing into side windows)

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I understand they aren't actually unbreakable, but it would still be nice to know that some minor things that have broken my windows in the past, won't break my windows on the cybertruck. Also I like the option of leaving some valuables in the car like my laptop or even my phone if i'm at the gym. I would rather pay the deductible for my insurance to fix the window than to replace my laptop and phone.

craz

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I understand they aren't actually unbreakable, but it would still be nice to know that some minor things that have broken my windows in the past, won't break my windows on the cybertruck. Also I like the option of leaving some valuables in the car like my laptop or even my phone if i'm at the gym. I would rather pay the deductible for my insurance to fix the window than to replace my laptop and phone.
Agreed. I think it’s safe to assume that the windows will be safe from incidental damage like rocks from the road etc, but my operating stance in regards to theft and purposeful damage will be the same as any other car - if they want to break my windows then they will. I’m also slightly concerned that random folks will try to break the windows as a sort of novelty given the CT’s reputation, but I might be paranoid!

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
... that was a stroke of genius... got everyone talking about a truck that most had not even heard about. Caused people to look into it more... It struck me as odd that within 30 minutes of that demo, they had both windows replaced for the demo rides. You can see in some videos the guys walking past with the broken windows. Now, in a one-off prototype, how likely is it to have spare windows lying around? Hmm....
I would have to agree. I do believe it was an entirely unplanned event. However, that certainly got buzz and more views than if they hadn’t had a problem. People have a car crash after all. That’s why they watch NASCAR. Once people saw the misfortunate window event they got past that and put it all the other things that they could do.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
If you're planning on throwing steel balls at it... They had spare tires, too.

-Crissa
Fair enough. Still, spare glass? They hit the door, too.

DARKFURY1

First Name
Chauncy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Coach
Country flag
... that was a stroke of genius... got everyone talking about a truck that most had not even heard about. Caused people to look into it more... It struck me as odd that within 30 minutes of that demo, they had both windows replaced for the demo rides. You can see in some videos the guys walking past with the broken windows. Now, in a one-off prototype, how likely is it to have spare windows lying around? Hmm....
It took me a while to understand that they replaced the windows, I just figured they had a 2nd prototype

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Agreed. I think it’s safe to assume that the windows will be safe from incidental damage like rocks from the road etc, but my operating stance in regards to theft and purposeful damage will be the same as any other car - if they want to break my windows then they will. I’m also slightly concerned that random folks will try to break the windows as a sort of novelty given the CT’s reputation, but I might be paranoid!
not paranoid at all, i have thought the same thing.....becomes a challenge "who can break the CT window"