Armor Glass Windshield

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
"Armored" windshield glass seems not much different than current windows, except hopefully it wont crack from rocks.
The side glass being laminated "armor glass" is the weird thing that I think is actually not allowed. Theres a reason cars don't have laminated side windows.
There are many modern cars that have laminated side windows.
Now even the Tesla Model Y and refreshed Model 3 has laminated side windows.

Tesla is using double-paned glass on pre-refreshed Model 3s
By Joey Klender
Posted on November 3, 2020

Unverified measurements on the side door glass of the Model Y put the regular tempered glass at 3.9mm and the laminated glass at 6.0mm. That's enough of a difference that it's likely to require updating the rubber seals if laminated glass is used as an upgrade replacement.

Tesla takes advantage of rare tactic on Model Y to battle cabin noise
By Joey Klender
Posted on October 24, 2020
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-y-double-paned-windows-cabin-noise/

Double-paned glass windows are certainly a great strategy to use when combating the sounds that come naturally from wind and road noise. ... Used by Ford in some of their more popular cars, like the Explorer and Taurus.
Sponsored

Last edited:

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
I just noticed the thermal conductivity of ALON is 8 times that of regular glass. Since most of the cabin heat is lost through the glass, won't this reduce the winter efficiency? I know a heat pump is more efficient than resistive heating but, with 8 times the thermal conductivity, I'm worried this might be a problem. Apparently, this is due to the crystalline nature of ALON.

ALON® Optical Ceramic - An advanced transparent polycrystalline material (surmet.com)

One good thing about the much higher thermal conductivity is it will be much easier to keep the outside of the windshield from frosting as you drive in really cold temperatures.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Yes, that would help but I'm still thinking the glass is 8 times more thermally conductive than normal glass and so the thin plastic layer sandwiched in the middle will help, but not solve, this apparent problem.
Just think how fast it will defrost. But what is more worrying from a cold perspective is that it is translucent to IR. There won't be any greenhouse in the summer, but the winter will be miserable.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Not likely on a Ford Model T, in 1904 - plate glass. Just saying.

Sorry to be a smart@#% here, Crissa. peace
Well, nor on a motorcycle. I don't think that exactly counts!

I'm sure if you replaced one of the windshields today you'd get something not plate glass!

-Crissa

PAPAB

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Toyota Highlander 2022 Model Y LR
Country flag
I think the CT windshield will be less susceptible to cracks caused by impacts from pebbles and small rocks due to the extreme angle. It‘s the polar opposite from a Jeep Wrangler windshield that is notorious for cracking.

I was thinking that Elon said one of the main 'down time' for semi is the windshield getting cracks; as law requires it to be replaced before the semi can go back on the road. Therefore, they developed a stronger 'glass' that may actually be 'ALON'; Aluminum, oxygen and nitrogen powder that is compressed and then polished to clear. This is thinner than 'regular bullet proof glass'; but stronger? ...apparently this will be on the CT-as it is also strong enough to help with structure pressures?

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
I was thinking that Elon said one of the main 'down time' for semi is the windshield getting cracks; as law requires it to be replaced before the semi can go back on the road.
This is, indeed, the case. No cracks allowed. With 30 tractors in our fleet, every month one or two are getting a windshield. Definitely a PITA.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
In the CT unveiling they showed video of them throwing everything, including the kitchen sink, at the windshield. If you haven’t seen it you should take a look, because it will make you feel a lot better about this material.
Sponsored