Old Spice

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Polaris RZR
Country flag
Paywall source: https://www.autonews.com/cars-conce...s-pack-cybertruck-elon-musk-confirms-progress

EV pickup visionary Tesla now trails the pack
Tesla's Cybertruck will be late to the party when it arrives late next year, but there are new signs of progress confirmed by CEO Elon Musk.

Paywalled but important parts:
  • AutoForecast Solutions puts the start of Cybertruck production in the fourth quarter of next year (2023) — after the Silverado in spring 2023 and the GMC Sierra EV in the fall. Tesla's full-size, stainless-steel-body pickup is, however, still expected to beat Stellantis (Ram) into the EV pickup market. Sam Fiorani, AutoForecast vice president of global vehicle forecasting, put Ram 1500 EV production in the fourth quarter of 2024. "Other EV trucks will include the Hyundai and Kia pickups in 2026 along with Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon EVs that same year," Fiorani said.

• Despite the Cybertruck's delay, there are signs of life in Tesla's vehicle development program. A new prototype of the electric pickup made an appearance at a California green-power event last week.

• "In just recent days, photos have emerged of what's believed to be the production-intent model," DeGraff said. "And Musk confirmed, via Twitter, that an Idra Giga Press is being assembled for the Cybertruck."

• When the Cybertruck was revealed in 2019, Musk promised production by 2021, beating rivals. In March of this year, Musk said Tesla plans to finish development of the pickup this year and start production in 2023.

• Meanwhile, Ford said it delivered 201 Lightnings to dealers in May. Rivian had 1,145 R1T registrations in the first four months of the year, according to Experian, and GMC had 159 through April. Rivian and GMC don't report monthly sales.

• For now, Tesla fans are hanging on Musk's every word about Cybertruck development, confident that Tesla's EV leadership will produce a superior vehicle that's worth the wait.

• On Twitter, Musk responded with the comment "Cybertruck body," as well as a video of Idra's NEO 9000 Giga Press being assembled in Italy. And in response to a video of the Cybertruck prototype in California, he wrote, "It will be our best product ever imo," meaning "in my opinion."

• The prototype appeared at a Pacific Gas and Electric event to mark the installation of Tesla Megapack batteries at a renewable energy facility in Moss Landing, Calif. The prototype had the yoke-style steering wheel now standard in the freshened Tesla Model S and X, along with a large center screen and instrument cluster that mimic those vehicles. "Lots could change before the final version of the Cybertruck comes out for real, but it seems very, very likely that this is the current prototype they are going with, and by the time the Cybertruck launches, it will have both displays," Shaw said in his video last week.
Sponsored

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
1 Hummer, 200 F150's 1000 Rivians?
That's it ? Really ? Articles about market advantage are just clickbait.

I'll be interested to see how they will interpret this :

1,600 Hummers
60,000 F150's
40,000 Rivians
1,000,000 CT's

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
1 Hummer, 200 F150's 1000 Rivians?
That's it ? Really ? Articles about market advantage are just clickbait.

I'll be interested to see how they will interpret this :

1,600 Hummers
60,000 F150's
40,000 Rivians
1,000,000 CT's
The article will read, Tesla was last to start production.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
159 GMC EVs? Where?

And it says 'late 2023' and not 'late 2021' when Tesla specifically said 'end of year 2021' and not 'late' 2023.

And it says he Silverado and GMC will ship spring 2023 before the Cybertruck and we've seen neither prototypes.

Why would someone subscribe to something so inaccurate?

-Crissa

Deleted member 12457

You're talking about autonews, another pay me before I write anything about you publication (see Sam Alexander's videos). Rivian is the only company with any kind of production. Ford is tossing in electric motors and batteries but still using the basic production process for ICE F-150s. Hummer has always been a joke as have all GM EVs. The CT will not be released until Austin is ready to produce it in mass. Within one month, I see it producing more CTs that the other 3 combined (deliveries) and it only goes up from there. Tesla is waiting to get enough, and the right type, of batteries ready to go to be able to produce CTs in numbers. We also have to wait for the presses to be installed. There's no reason to rush out a half-ass product that wouldn't last. Rivian might have some good reviews but I also saw a review by JerryRigEverything that showed how beat up it was after only 1500 miles. I am hopeful the CT is being designed to NOT lose half its mileage when towing. This takes time to design so I would rather wait for Tesla to have the best truck instead of the first truck.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
The title tells me not to bother with the rest because it says "late next year". Elon has said to the world that they will mass produce the CT next year, and it takes many months to ramp up production to the level he has spoken about so either Elon doesn't know or these guys don't know and I am putting my money (and hopes) on Elon.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
President Biden has furrowed deep; rich fields are ripe for this narrative to seed and sprout for American carmakers, union-made and #1 in EV sales orders. ICE owners are just paying $300 to fillup the daily driver; just tuning-in from that perspective and its just - all new. Ev’s, charging, battery and OEM‘s want to control that crafted narrative to carefully inform next Gen BEVbuyers.

Perception is reality, when the chief competition just hasn’t entered the battle yet, so they’re capitalizing on an undeniable truth.

Rule#1: Never underestimate your customer. Tesla stands to gain many more customers by letting their products do the talking.
Sponsored