Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Machinist
Country flag
What are the chances of Elon making the cybertruck be able to hook up to a trailer on its own without having to pay the $7000 for the full self driving. This might be the only thing I would want to use it for and dont wanna pay $7000 for it. Whats everyone elses thoughts?
Sponsored

Garden_Aum

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius Prime, Nissan Leaf, Tri Motor Cyber Truck
Occupation
Researcher
Country flag
That would be a great option to have. I do not think they would need the FSD option to do it. There is a camera in the back of the CT already; that is how the rearview "mirror" works. It could probably be used to align the truck with a trailer hitch.

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
If you have a back-up camera that can see the trailer hitch ball, doing it manually while watching in the camera is easy enough.
The option of adding a camera on the back of the trailer itself that can be linked to the truck's screen would be a helpful thing to have to see traffic behind the trailer and also while backing the trailer into tight places.

Ford has a trailer backing assist mode that they advertise in their trucks. I have not heard how useful it is, but CT probably could implement something similar without adding any new hardware.

Last edited:

Rootinboy

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Country flag
IMO, trailer backing isn’t that hard. If you need trailer backing assistance, maybe you shouldn’t get a truck.... I didn’t grow up in the country or on a farm, but my dad made sure I knew how to back up a trailer. Same goes for manual transmission.....

OP
OP

Ablair1203

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Machinist
Country flag
IMO, trailer backing isn’t that hard. If you need trailer backing assistance, maybe you shouldn’t get a truck.... I didn’t grow up in the country or on a farm, but my dad made sure I knew how to back up a trailer. Same goes for manual transmission.....
I have a pickup now an I have driven semis before. The truck can drive itself. It just would be nice to have the auto assist without paying the $7000. An i also have a wife who would drive this truck and if she is not experienced at backing up to a trailer and for $50,000 it should make it easy for everyone

Garden_Aum

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Researcher
Country flag
I need assistance backing up a trailer; my wife does not. She is REALLY good and has years of experience doing it. That being said, I use trucks for their beds; my wife uses them for trailers. As long as she is around I do not have to worry.

Camper Van Someren

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Focus RS, 2015 Sienna AWD, 2002 Ranger
Country flag
I think we are talking about 2 different things.
Backing up with a trailer attached is easy enough once you figure out turn right to go left.
Backing up to a trailer (to align the ball hitch) is different and often you need a spotter to tell you when to stop.
I’m hoping Tesla has multiple camera angles focused on the ball hitch to make this easier. Even better would be an auto function that could use the adjustable height suspension to get the ball under the hitch and then raise it up. Best would be a smart trailer that could fully align, connect, lock, and connect light/brake/camera?/charge? functions without ever getting out of the truck. That would save lots of time if you need to back into a supercharger.

drcarric2650

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150
Country flag
I think we are talking about 2 different things.
Backing up with a trailer attached is easy enough once you figure out turn right to go left.
Backing up to a trailer (to align the ball hitch) is different and often you need a spotter to tell you when to stop.
I’m hoping Tesla has multiple camera angles focused on the ball hitch to make this easier. Even better would be an auto function that could use the adjustable height suspension to get the ball under the hitch and then raise it up. Best would be a smart trailer that could fully align, connect, lock, and connect light/brake/camera?/charge? functions without ever getting out of the truck. That would save lots of time if you need to back into a supercharger.
Wow, you're way ahead of me, I hadn't even considered using the air suspension to connect to the hitch.

Garden_Aum

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Researcher
Country flag
Wow, you're way ahead of me, I hadn't even considered using the air suspension to connect to the hitch.
It is a really good idea. A combination of cameras and other sensors could make two person hitching of trailers a thing of the past.

Dariwuz

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck trimotor
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
A wireless tongue jack on the trailer and a good tailgate camera works on my Gmc/ airstream...... just have to plug it in..... I would expect Elon and his engineers to build a better mouse trap

Garden_Aum

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Researcher
Country flag
A wireless tongue jack on the trailer and a good tailgate camera works on my Gmc/ airstream...... just have to plug it in..... I would expect Elon and his engineers to build a better mouse trap
Airstream eh? That is going to look really good behind your Cybertruck. Of all the camper trailers on the market, I have always (even since childhood) thought the Airstream was beautifully built.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Self hitching would be nice and faster for when I steal your airstream. I really want one and the only way I will ever get one is to steal one. So when yours goes missing in 2022 it was me ?

Mule Ferguson

First Name
Mule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, Model P3D+, F150. Cybertruck Tri Motor
Occupation
House Husband
Country flag
F150 backup camera has a black line that leads you back to the trailer.

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
Air suspension is your automatic jack. Drop air back in raise air just close the hitch, plug in wires and do something with the jack. Do the reverse to unhook the trailer.

Dariwuz

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck trimotor
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Self hitching would be nice and faster for when I steal your airstream. I really want one and the only way I will ever get one is to steal one. So when yours goes missing in 2022 it was me ?
I’ll keep that in mind
Sponsored