Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Film Production
Country flag
So I’ve got a cyberbeast on order and I should be getting it early next year. I never really considered the all-wheel-drive model. But I thought I’d ask people here the following question: Can you think of any reason to choose the AWD over the Cyberbeast besides that it supposedly gets 20 miles more range?
Sponsored

Dazureus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Model Y, '24 Cyberbeast
Occupation
Software Engineer - Steering Systems
Country flag
I think the general consensus is as follows:
AWD: Get it sooner, mechanical lockers in front and rear (AWD) are better than mechanical front, software rear (Beast), a little more range.
Beast: Go faster quicker, Alcantara on dash, Beast badging, 4k allowance for V2H installation, light bar.

heems

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y AWD, 2024 Cybertruck FS AWD
Country flag
Assuming you can afford either I am going to say it all depends on you. Are you a speed junky ? Do you accelerate hard all the time ? Not asking about an occasional treat for yourself or when you have passengers you are trying to have fun with. I ask because I bought a 3P as my first Tesla. Never had a 3s car and the price for entry into the club was unheard of. So I jumped on it. But I am not a speed junky. The novelty soon wore off. I was more into making my tires last and driving efficiently, and not getting a ticket. Other than the occasional treat for myself or my passengers the feature I paid for wasn’t used that often. Since then all my Teslas have been the non-performance variety. They are still fast plenty and suite my use case more. Hope that helps.

OP
OP

Cyber111

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Film Production
Country flag
I think the general consensus is as follows:
AWD: Get it sooner, mechanical lockers in front and rear (AWD) are better than mechanical front, software rear (Beast), a little more range.
Beast: Go faster quicker, Alcantara on dash, Beast badging, 4k allowance for V2H installation, light bar.
So the beast doesn’t have mechanical lockers on the front and the rear? I believe you but that's strange, why would they do that?

Dazureus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Model Y, '24 Cyberbeast
Occupation
Software Engineer - Steering Systems
Country flag
So the beast doesn’t have mechanical lockers on the front and the rear? I believe you but that's strange, why would they do that?
Beast has mechanical lockers on the front, but not rear since the rear has two motors, each controlling a wheel. So in slip situations, the front locker can be engaged, but the rear will rely on software to detect slip and distribute power to the wheels. I'm not an off-road guy but I've heard the argument that mechanical lockers are superior to software "lockers" since you're not relying on software logic and possible decision lag to apply power correctly.

kpg81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyberbeast
Country flag
Beast has mechanical lockers on the front, but not rear since the rear has two motors, each controlling a wheel. So in slip situations, the front locker can be engaged, but the rear will rely on software to detect slip and distribute power to the wheels. I'm not an off-road guy but I've heard the argument that mechanical lockers are superior to software "lockers" since you're not relying on software logic and possible decision lag to apply power correctly.
Yes, Mechanical lockers are superior for a traditional ICE vehicle with a differential needing to lock up both rear wheels, but since the Beast has 2 independent motors, that indepently "lock up", that is the exact same thing. Except it's even better than the single AWD motor as the software and independent motors can apply/modultate power as needed based on slip detection.

In no way is a single rear motor better than 2 independently controlled motors at each rear wheel. That's why Rivian has quad motors...

Last edited:

Alpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
1. Extra cost
2. Less range
3. Extra weight
4. Will almost never use the extra 245hp and AWD 600hp is more than enough power for my driving
5. When I go to pick up my AWD and they offer to upgrade me to beast at no cost, I would probably choose the beast for resale value only.
6. I wouldn't get a beast even if it were barely priced above AWD.

CyberJay

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck AWD (two), Model Y
Occupation
Oncology Biotech Exec | GOD BLESS THE USA
Country flag
I would not trade my awd for a beast if someone offered a straight-up trade.
Completely agree - but heck if "money is no object" then maybe go for the Beast.
I'd rather enjoy the CT and use the 20k for lifetime of charges

would you rather have a Beast or AWD with lifetime charging? LOL

Cyber Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne, Awaiting Cyberbeast
Country flag
I’m not an expert either, but I have heard off-road experts say individual torque vectoring is way superior to mechanical differential lock. The only reason some people complain is because software is not tuned enough, so the perception is that manual lock is better. Rivian has proved individual torque vectoring is much better. They have one motor for each wheel. In terms of pure science, I also believe individual torque is way better as long as software is tuned really well. So, Beast has more “potential” to be a better off roader in the future as software improves.

Alpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, Mechanical lockers are superior for a traditional ICE vehicle with a differential needing to lock up both rear wheels, but since the Beast has 2 independent motors, that indepently "lock up", that is the exact same thing. Except it's even better than the single AWD motor as the software and independent motors can apply/modultate power as needed based on slip detection.

In no way is a single rear motor better than 2 indepently controlled motors at each rear wheel. That's why Rivian has quad motors...
There are videos of the rivian 4 motor on rough terrain where testers specifically mention that the 4 independent motors is holding it back. Maybe someone can post the vid

carsly

First Name
Vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
Some say the dual motor Rivian is more capable off-road due to the ability to lock the axles and keep both wheels spinning. The other math is 835hp is great, but it's split across 4 motors so each one can only produce a peak of ~200hp. If only one wheel has traction, that's all the power you have available.

On the dual motor, particularly performance, you have 665hp split front/rear so if an axle is locked you can push 300+hp to a single wheel, that's 50% more power to get unstuck if only one wheel has traction.
Sponsored