Switching order from Cyberbeast to AWD

Pops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY, CyberBeast
Country flag
I have read people who want to opt out of FS after the deposit will lose the deposit and their reservation. Has anyone switched from CB to AWD or the other way around without penalty? I will call the next business day to ask myself, but I want to hear what others have experienced.

I made a deposit on the CB, but as I gather more details I am getting cold feet. There are a lot of compromises and only 1 known advantage of the CB.

CB Compromises:
  • Lower range / Efficiency
  • Lower payload capacity
    • This will be an even bigger issue if you add the Range Extender
  • Higher cost
  • Longer wait time
  • 50% greater chance to have a motor fail
  • Issues with Alcantara dash wrap (seen in Ryan Shaw YT video)
CB Advantage:
  • 1.5 second faster 0-60
Sponsored

Last edited:

CTWheee

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 now, CT soon!
Occupation
Stuff
Country flag
Following.. Not sure why they wouldn't deliver the CB before the AWD. I need a truck ASAP, I've been waiting for a while now (to get a truck and did buy a 2024 F350 HO to hold me over but my patience is growing thin.

OP
OP
Pops

Pops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY, CyberBeast
Country flag
I was on hold for 1 hour, but here are my questions and the answers I got. Honestly I am not sure if I believe them, because it conflicts with what I have read on this forum and I have had Tesla phone reps tell me one thing, and something else happens. So take this with a grain of salt.

Q: What is my delivery estimate?
A: Nothing more specific to provide. Keep monitoring your Tesla app.

Q: Can I change from a CB to AWD without impacting my reservation priority?
A: Yes, I can switch without penalty and keep my place.

Q: Can I add range extender?
A: Yes, it would be done as an order adjustment.

Q: Can I return to a non-FS reservation?
A: Yes I can return to the normal queue without penalty.

Longranger

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GTI
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hope all those answers bear out. That is what I would expect to hear from a quality company like Tesla.

MilliM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future Cybertruck Owner!
Country flag
I have such mixed emotions on this. Part of me thinks “In for a penny, in for a pound”, but the rational part of me thinks I’m paying more to wait longer and get speed I may never use and bells and whistles that are cool but not amazeballs from a difference perspective. I’ve had my R1S since May and think I’ve floored it less than 5 times since the first week novelty wore off.

Since we don’t have a battery backup for our two parallel solar systems, and I’ve wanted that in case the big one hits and takes the grid down during my lifetime, there is some value to be had for that hardware/credit, and perhaps eventually the included FSD (right??) may be worth it.

XCeilidhX

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model S, awaiting CT RN112786958
Country flag
I have read people who want to opt out of FS after the deposit will lose the deposit and their reservation. Has anyone switched from CB to AWD or the other way around without penalty? I will call the next business day to ask myself, but I want to hear what others have experienced.

I made a deposit on the CB, but as I gather more details I am getting cold feet. There are a lot of compromises and only 1 known advantage of the CB.

CB Compromises:
  • Lower range / Efficiency
  • Lower payload capacity
    • This will be an even bigger issue if you add the Range Extender
  • Higher cost
  • Longer wait time
  • 50% greater chance to have a motor fail
  • Issues with Alcantara dash wrap (seen in Ryan Shaw YT video)
CB Advantage:
  • 1.5 second faster 0-60
My understanding is that you are thinking about the motor fail part backwards. It was previously stated somewhere that if a motor fails on the CT you can still drive with the remaining motor(s) until you get it fixed rather than the truck being out until the motor is fixed if you have the dual or tri motor configurations. So if this is the case, the more motors the less of a chance that you would have an issue if one fails. The risk is decreased with the third motor, not increased. Perhaps we can get verification that this is the case with the final production models though because I had read this quite some time ago.

OP
OP
Pops

Pops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY, CyberBeast
Country flag
My understanding is that you are thinking about the motor fail part backwards. It was previously stated somewhere that if a motor fails on the CT you can still drive with the remaining motor(s) until you get it fixed rather than the truck being out until the motor is fixed if you have the dual or tri motor configurations. So if this is the case, the more motors the less of a chance that you would have an issue if one fails. The risk is decreased with the third motor, not increased. Perhaps we can get verification that this is the case with the final production models though because I had read this quite some time ago.
I am simply looking at it from a mathematical probability standpoint. If all motors have the same failure chance, then 3 parts is 50% more likely to experience a failure than 2 parts.

I am not concerned about being left on the side of the road because of it. My concern is having an out of warranty repair cost after 100k miles. All this when its not clear what the advantage of 3 motors have other than speed. It's not yet known if 3 motors are better for off road or traction. But there are known disadvantages for 3 motors, which I mentioned in the OP. Cost, range, efficiency, weight, payload reduction, and failure probability.

But now that I see posts of people getting deliveries I am even less likely to change it. I do not want to risk my place in line switching to AWD.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pops

Pops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY, CyberBeast
Country flag
I’ve had my R1S since May and think I’ve floored it less than 5 times since the first week novelty wore off.

Since we don’t have a battery backup for our two parallel solar systems, and I’ve wanted that in case the big one hits and takes the grid down during my lifetime, there is some value to be had for that hardware/credit, and perhaps eventually the included FSD (right??) may be worth it.
This is so relatable with my F150 Lightning. I have shown my family and friends the fast acceleration once each, and then never again. Maybe 8 times total.

You made a valid point, the $5k credit for the power share install will close the gap a bit. Its such a hard choice to make now.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I’ve had my R1S since May and think I’ve floored it less than 5 times since the first week novelty wore off.

This is so relatable with my F150 Lightning. I have shown my family and friends the fast acceleration once each, and then never again. Maybe 8 times total.
Tesla Cybertruck Switching order from Cyberbeast to AWD 1705042404841

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Following.. Not sure why they wouldn't deliver the CB before the AWD. I need a truck ASAP, I've been waiting for a while now (to get a truck and did buy a 2024 F350 HO to hold me over but my patience is growing thin.
is your patience growing thin, and you have a CB on order?

Because at the present pace, which shows no sign of picking up soon, on average someone who orders a CB will be waiting 20 times longer than someone who orders an AWD

To date, they’ve built just shy of 570 AWD

meanwhile, they’ve built 26 CBs - and most of those were stockpiled before and then delivered at the Nov 30 Delivery event

On one hand, Tesla must feel the CB bottleneck will relieve at some point in 2024 for them to give EDDs of “mid to late 2024” - and not 20X longer, despite current bottleneck

But on the other hand, they mean it when they say “mid to late 2024”

Last edited:

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I was on hold for 1 hour, but here are my questions and the answers I got. Honestly I am not sure if I believe them, because it conflicts with what I have read on this forum and I have had Tesla phone reps tell me one thing, and something else happens. So take this with a grain of salt.

Q: Can I return to a non-FS reservation?
A: Yes I can return to the normal queue without penalty.
So far that last question has been shown to be false. There are people who ordered but decided to cancel their order and while they could return to the line, it was as a new reservation, not the same place in line.

As to 50% greater chance that a motor will fail, motor failures are probably one of the least problems. Motors tend to last forever, I mean a century.
What it does mean is that if you do have a motor failure, you've still got 2 pushing. Although 1 is quite sufficient. The semi hauls 82,000 lbs with just three, but seldom uses all.

XCeilidhX

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model S, awaiting CT RN112786958
Country flag
So far that last question has been shown to be false. There are people who ordered but decided to cancel their order and while they could return to the line, it was as a new reservation, not the same place in line.

As to 50% greater chance that a motor will fail, motor failures are probably one of the least problems. Motors tend to last forever, I mean a century.
What it does mean is that if you do have a motor failure, you've still got 2 pushing. Although 1 is quite sufficient. The semi hauls 82,000 lbs with just three, but seldom uses all.

I wouldn't be so sure on the motor failure part. My Model S motor died at 101K miles and my battery died at 108K miles or so. Both out of warranty. The motor replacement was not too bad. The battery on the other hand was quite pricey. I had hoped both would last until I got my CB but that didn't happen. Now I'm happy I took care of those because it looks like I will be waiting forever for a non-foundation CB order even though my reservation was placed during the initial reveal.

But in terms of worrying about the cost of increased risk of out of warranty motor failure, the motors actually are far less than you might think. It was about the same cost as replacing the suspension which I did at about 88K miles if I remember correctly. The battery though... be sure to have a savings account planning on a $15k replacement about 10-11 years after purchase or 100K-125K miles if my experience turns out to be typical. FWIW.

My thinking on this is that I will likely make the CB my forever truck and if it can run with a motor or even two motors down in the case of the CB tri-motor then I have time to keep driving before I have to do the replacement which would give me time to scrape together the cash for the replacement rather than having to pay right then and there or be stuck on the side of the road, so to speak, which is basically what happened when my single motor on my Model S went out.

Cheers.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I wouldn't be so sure on the motor failure part. My Model S motor died at 101K miles and my battery died at 108K miles or so. Both out of warranty. The motor replacement was not too bad. The battery on the other hand was quite pricey. I had hoped both would last until I got my CB but that didn't happen. Now I'm happy I took care of those because it looks like I will be waiting forever for a non-foundation CB order even though my reservation was placed during the initial reveal.

But in terms of worrying about the cost of increased risk of out of warranty motor failure, the motors actually are far less than you might think. It was about the same cost as replacing the suspension which I did at about 88K miles if I remember correctly. The battery though... be sure to have a savings account planning on a $15k replacement about 10-11 years after purchase or 100K-125K miles if my experience turns out to be typical. FWIW.

My thinking on this is that I will likely make the CB my forever truck and if it can run with a motor or even two motors down in the case of the CB tri-motor then I have time to keep driving before I have to do the replacement which would give me time to scrape together the cash for the replacement rather than having to pay right then and there or be stuck on the side of the road, so to speak, which is basically what happened when my single motor on my Model S went out.

Cheers.
I hope you didn't think that I said that they never die, but it is pretty uncommon for them to.
Sponsored