AWD Model vs Cyberbeast

kpg81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyberbeast
Country flag
Well of course it's pointless if you can't win. 😂

I'm up for watching the frozen lake bed thing too.

But don't worry, Tesla can fix this. If they can't tune the CB for dirt to beat it, they can detune the AWD.

I am guessing that naturally the AWD has better front/rear power balance and Tesla hasn't given much attention to optimizing their offroad acceleration performance.
Not sure what your point is, but more HP means more traction loss in the dirt.

Line them up on the street and the Beast completely annialates the AWD like it's standing still. It's not even close. That's where races happen, not on a dirt field somewhere. The AWD does 0-60 in 3-5 business days versus the Cyberbeast.
Sponsored

GuyV

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, FS Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Not sure what your point is, but more HP means more traction loss in the dirt.

Line them up on the street and the Beast completely annialates the AWD like it's standing still. It's not even close. That's where races happen, not on a dirt field somewhere. The AWD does 0-60 in 3-5 business days versus the Cyberbeast.
That's just what I said. If the Beast wants to win it needs to stay on road. 😂

gooshjkc

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB EQS SUV 580
Occupation
Real Estate
Country flag
Like you I have CB on order and will most likely get it this time next year. It really depends on your preference. Do you want power even if you’re not going to use it all of the time? Yeah the novelty of gunning it runs out fairly quickly, but it’s nice to know you can probably beat almost anyone off the line (well, for the first quarter mile). Many has mentioned off-roading. Let’s be honest here, how many are really going to take $100K+ Cybertruck or CyberBeast off-road? Maybe less than 10%. This is just like Land Rover, tons of people buy them but will never take them off-road even though it’s probably the most capable vehicles to do so. As for truck things, like towing, maybe between 10 to 20%. Even ICE truck owners don’t tow that much. Putting things in the bed, they are both the same so that point is moot. In the end, again it’s the power. Do you want it or not?

txtravwill

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, BMW, Ford
Country flag
Nice, a fellow Porsche owner..! I have a 992 GT3 myself. That's awesome man. I totally get it, thats why there are two versions, a fast version and a slower version. Depends how much you care about performance and speed, if you don't need fast why spend the extra money.

My grandmother would usually buy the slower models of whatever she got as well because "it still got me to point A and B in the same speed" lol.. she did have a point.
Agree. Both Beast & AWD are fast, both go reasonable/allowed speeds or over speed limits very easily. The Beast is definitely quicker, from 0-60+ and has more upper torque, but I can't do that too often or even want to as prefer to be a little more comfortable these days versus abrupt. Having had so many EVs now also, that novelty has worn off as well.

Mrp911

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I would not trade my awd for a beast if someone offered a straight-up trade.
Really that doesn’t pass the logic test? Maybe you need to go for a ride in a BEAST. YOLO acceleration plus big smiles every time. $20k worth of more Joy.

Mrp911

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Lol not scared of "extra performance"

Image_20240522111521.jpg

There is more to performance than 0-60... The AWD truck gives me more than enough speed, I took it up to 110mph the other day and when I had to switch lanes I felt the truck was gonna flip over due to its weight and size.. Also, awd is quicker than 99% of trucks out there. I'll gladly take more range and reliability over a quicker 0-60 lol
That % will be quickly dropping as the Beast deliveries grow. Then how will you feel.

DoberManPin-Sure

First Name
Dober
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram TRX / Foundation Edition Cyberbeast
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
That was my thought as well, I almost switched to AWD to get it sooner but talked myself out of that. No way I am letting a Raptor or TRX out accelerate my truck, that's literally one of the biggest selling points of an EV let alone the Cybertruck, that its so fast.
I’ve owned the Raptor and own (and will be keeping) the TRX, so my decision to go with the Beast is based on the fact that I already can do an ~4 second 0 to 60.

That said, if the Beast wasn’t an option there would still be ample reasons to buy an AWD CT IMHO.

kpg81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyberbeast
Country flag
I’ve owned the Raptor and own (and will be keeping) the TRX, so my decision to go with the Beast is based on the fact that I already can do an ~4 second 0 to 60.

That said, if the Beast wasn’t an option there would still be ample reasons to buy an AWD CT IMHO.
I agree. If a Beast spec wasn't available, I'd still have bought the AWD version. But since there is a Beast that exists, no way I could have gone the minimal route when that option is available :D

Carlos Thomas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I reserved the Tri-Motor back in November 2019. Fastest and Longest Range was a no-brainer for me. Once it released and the AWD was being offered to show up between December 2023 - February 2024 and the "CyberBeast" said late 2024, I was not willing to wait another potential year. Also, the range was less than the AWD, so I said, "AWD is fast enough...faster in a straight line than my Corvette C7."

But I will say this...I recently had the Model X Plaid as a loaner and the acceleration is a noticeable increase over the AWD. Borderline scary. Instant smile each time. The Model X Plaid and the CyberBeast. While it was fun, it is not worth the $20,000 price premium in my opinion. If you have never driven a car that can go 0 to 60 mph in 2.6 second or less, then the AWD will be putting the same smile on your face each time you press that pedal.

Robert Don

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber Truck
Occupation
Finance Mngr
Country flag
1. Extra cost
2. Less range
3. Extra weight
4. Will almost never use the extra 245hp and AWD 600hp is more than enough power for my driving
5. When I go to pick up my AWD and they offer to upgrade me to beast at no cost, I would probably choose the beast for resale value only.
6. I wouldn't get a beast even if it were barely priced above AWD.
This sounds like most any supercar or upgraded/special edition truck other than weight.

Robert Don

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber Truck
Occupation
Finance Mngr
Country flag
I’m the type that if it’s something I really really want I don’t want the lower end. I learned having regrets on doing that in the past. Especially when you are already paying 100k for a lessor model.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
One misconception about the advantage of the Beast is that the extra power is just for acceleration.

INCORRECT.
And then you proceed to explain how the extra power really is just for acceleration. :ROFLMAO:

if you are planning to hook up an extended range battery (adding weight) and hook-up a heavy trailer (RV, boat, etc) you’ll definitely understand the benefits of the extra power when you are trying to maneuver in traffic. The laggy acceleration in the AWD with the added weight makes it borderline dangerous to try and pass other vehicles in trying to get to your off/on-ramps or just to improve your position on the highway.

with the Beast it almost feels like you don’t even have a trailer, whereas with the AWD you are begging for that extra “oomph” to make your maneuvers safely. The reduction in STRESS from having that added power at your disposal is a PURE LUXURY that you will not understand until you have experienced it.
This is a BS narrative that the Dual Motor would be dangerously underpowered for towing at its full rated amounts.

First of all, if you install an extended range battery with a heavy trailer, that will require a lighter trailer than the maximum load without the extended range battery (in order to remain within the various weight and tow limits of the Cybertruck). That means the most demanding case in terms of power needed, is a truck without the extended range battery, but fully loaded with trailer and cargo. At best, they are identical in terms of power demand because the GCWR is a hard limit. What you say makes no sense.

Secondly, a Cybertruck fully loaded to its maximum GCWR has plenty of power to complete any conceivable maneuver in traffic safely, including highway merges, with power left over. The acceleration is not "laggy" either. Nobody who has half a clue when it comes to towing heavy loads would ever claim the Dual Motor Cybertruck is "borderline dangerous" when fully loaded and trying to accelerate. That's just laughable and shows a complete lack of towing experience.

The truth of the matter is, the Dual Motor is the superior tow vehicle, it is rated to haul more payload when towing at the limit, and it can haul that payload a further distance on one charge, due to being naturally more efficient at steady-state throttle towing on the highway.
Sponsored