Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
...that means never having anything else on the console screen.
That's not how Tesla's cameras work with their integrated console. Or Ford's. They have a big screen which has multiple things on it at once. Or switch as things happen.

This is so true! Between my model and my mom's model of Mazda they went to a more vertical screen. But on hers, the screen they use for the backup camera is half the size of mine.

While hers gets less glare, and is up at the top of the dash, overall mine is much better because it is so much larger.

-Crissa
Sponsored

JJ_Tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just Purchased: 2021 F150 Hybrid Platinum
Country flag
You would also need to worry about the camera getting dirty, especially with a truck.

That has happened a few times on my backup camera, but since I had the mirror it was not a huge deal to just remember to wipe off the backup camera the next time I stopped. It is your rear view camera, you would need to pull over to clean it off which would get really annoying after a time or two.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
You would also need to worry about the camera getting dirty, especially with a truck.

That has happened a few times on my backup camera, but since I had the mirror it was not a huge deal to just remember to wipe off the backup camera the next time I stopped. It is your rear view camera, you would need to pull over to clean it off which would get really annoying after a time or two.
I am assuming that a safety device like that would have to have some mechanism. To keep it as clear as possible. I should think that the NHTSA would mandate it.

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
That's not how Tesla's cameras work with their integrated console. Or Ford's. They have a big screen which has multiple things on it at once. Or switch as things happen.

This is so true! Between my model and my mom's model of Mazda they went to a more vertical screen. But on hers, the screen they use for the backup camera is half the size of mine.

While hers gets less glare, and is up at the top of the dash, overall mine is much better because it is so much larger.

-Crissa
I'm not certain, but it sounds like you are talking about a backup camera, I'm talking about a rearview mirror replacement for use while driving on the road.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm not certain, but it sounds like you are talking about a backup camera, I'm talking about a rearview mirror replacement for use while driving on the road.
I'm not certain, but I don't think that the camera is particularly relevant to whether putting it on the main screen is better or not.

I was sharing my experience that larger was better than being closer to the forward viewing position. Being able to make out objects was better than the change in viewing angle.

-Crissa

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
I'm not certain, but I don't think that the camera is particularly relevant to whether putting it on the main screen is better or not.

I was sharing my experience that larger was better than being closer to the forward viewing position. Being able to make out objects was better than the change in viewing angle.

-Crissa
I'm not speaking of the camera itself, more the modality (?) of use. On my Bolt, there is a system that uses cameras for a 360 deg "overhead" view and a front and rear camera that can be viewed on the infotainment screen when operating at low speed (parking). There is a separate camera and a screen "inside" the rearview mirror that is for use while driving on road or highway. The rearview mirror can be used as a traditional mirror, or you can turn on the screen and use the camera (the screen fills the entire mirror).

The infotainment screen works well for those parking situations, I wouldn't want it there for driving down the road, though. I would still prefer something like the rearview mirror in position and functionality.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The infotainment screen works well for those parking situations, I wouldn't want it there for driving down the road, though. I would still prefer something like the rearview mirror in position and functionality.
And how big is the info screen vs the mirror? vs one in a Tesla?

All I was saying was that bigger was more important than up.

-Crissa
Sponsored