Basecamp Installed 🏕️

TownBiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD
Country flag
Morbid curiosity got the best of me and I decided to buy the $3K Basecamp rather than wrap the CT.

Local SC did the install yesterday which was comprised of screwing 6 brackets into the correct vault rail holes and then screwing in two T25 bolts to secure the packed tent - that’s it. Based on the how the manual reads, it’s likely that at some point Tesla will ship these direct to CT owners to DIY install because it’s that easy. Trickiest part is aligning those two T25 bolts because of the angle. Per the instruction book, if you use a flashlight it’s much easier.

Lots of rain here so I haven’t had a chance to fully deploy the tent yet, but I did practice removing the 90lb tent by unscrewing the two bolts and lifting at an angle. Totally doable solo. Putting it back in was a little trickier, but not bad.

I also tried the initial tent deployment step which requires popping out the CT’s Aeroflap (long metal piece right between the can and the bed) - a little tricky because you need to unscrew two T30 bolts, not drop them into the abyss below, and then forcefully pop out the Aeroflap. This will be much easier with a ratching small torx wrench vs the wrenches that come w the tent. It was pretty easy to reinstall the Aeroflap, but I am a little concerned about losing some of the water proof sealant between it and the cab. According to the manual, after removing the Aeroflap, you should be able activate Tent mode, but it’s still not showing for me. I’m asking support if there’s a specific SW upgrade that should have been done to enable it…

I am hesitant to provide an initial impression since I haven’t even set up the tent yet. That said, I will say that it takes up a pretty big chunk of bedspace which makes transporting multiple bikes in the bed a non-option. It’s nice to confirm that you can remove or install it pretty easily though. It looks a little bit trickier than I hoped based on the instructions alone - but let’s see how it shakes out. Can’t say if it’s worth the price tag yet either - especially if the suspension leveling tent mode is available to people who don’t buy the Basecamp. If a 3rd party released some easy to install + remove in-vault crossbars, there could be some interesting other 3rd party over-bed tent options at some point (assuming there’s ever enough CT volume to make it compelling to design and release such a thing).

Once the weather clears tomorrow I’ll try setting up the tent in completely. I’ll also post various pics or a video

Tesla Cybertruck Basecamp Installed 🏕️ IMG_6057

Tesla Cybertruck Basecamp Installed 🏕️ IMG_6058

Tesla Cybertruck Basecamp Installed 🏕️ IMG_6061

Tesla Cybertruck Basecamp Installed 🏕️ IMG_6060

Tesla Cybertruck Basecamp Installed 🏕️ IMG_6063

Tesla Cybertruck Basecamp Installed 🏕️ IMG_6069

Few more pics…

Tesla Cybertruck Basecamp Installed 🏕️ IMG_6076

Tesla Cybertruck Basecamp Installed 🏕️ IMG_6075

Tesla Cybertruck Basecamp Installed 🏕️ IMG_6071

Tesla Cybertruck Basecamp Installed 🏕️ IMG_6065

Tesla Cybertruck Basecamp Installed 🏕️ IMG_6066

Tesla Cybertruck Basecamp Installed 🏕️ IMG_6056
Sponsored

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
Morbid curiosity got the best of me and I decided to buy the $3K Basecamp rather than wrap the CT.

Local SC did the install yesterday which was comprised of screwing 6 brackets into the correct vault rail holes and then screwing in two T25 bolts to secure the packed tent - that’s it. Based on the how the manual reads, it’s likely that at some point Tesla will ship these direct to CT owners to DIY install because it’s that easy. Trickiest part is aligning those two T25 bolts because of the angle. Per the instruction book, if you use a flashlight it’s much easier.

Lots of rain here so I haven’t had a chance to fully deploy the tent yet, but I did practice removing the 90lb tent by unscrewing the two bolts and lifting at an angle. Totally doable solo. Putting it back in was a little trickier, but not bad.

I also tried the initial tent deployment step which requires popping out the CT’s Aeroflap (long metal piece right between the can and the bed) - a little tricky because you need to unscrew two T30 bolts, not drop them into the abyss below, and then forcefully pop out the Aeroflap. This will be much easier with a ratching small torx wrench vs the wrenches that come w the tent. It was pretty easy to reinstall the Aeroflap, but I am a little concerned about losing some of the water proof sealant between it and the cab. According to the manual, after removing the Aeroflap, you should be able activate Tent mode, but it’s still not showing for me. I’m asking support if there’s a specific SW upgrade that should have been done to enable it…

I am hesitant to provide an initial impression since I haven’t even set up the tent yet. That said, I will say that it takes up a pretty big chunk of bedspace which makes transporting multiple bikes in the bed a non-option. It’s nice to confirm that you can remove or install it pretty easily though. It looks a little bit trickier than I hoped based on the instructions alone - but let’s see how it shakes out. Can’t say if it’s worth the price tag yet either - especially if the suspension leveling tent mode is available to people who don’t buy the Basecamp. If a 3rd party released some easy to install + remove in-vault crossbars, there could be some interesting other 3rd party over-bed tent options at some point (assuming there’s ever enough CT volume to make it compelling to design and release such a thing).

Once the weather clears tomorrow I’ll try setting up the tent in completely. I’ll also post various pics or a video

IMG_6057.jpeg

IMG_6058.jpeg

IMG_6061.jpeg

IMG_6060.jpeg

IMG_6063.jpeg

IMG_6069.jpeg

Few more pics…

IMG_6076.jpeg

IMG_6075.jpeg

IMG_6071.jpeg

IMG_6065.jpeg

IMG_6066.jpeg

IMG_6056.jpeg
Interesting, looks good, let us know when you get a chance to test it out!

Wraven

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Foundations CyberBeast, M3P, MYP
Country flag
Really appreciate you took the time thus far to bring us along this journey, looking forward to more details/thoughts as you start to live with the truck and the basecamp combined.

OP
OP

TownBiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD
Country flag
Really appreciate you took the time thus far to bring us along this journey, looking forward to more details/thoughts as you start to live with the truck and the basecamp combined.
Someone has to be the guinea pig! Thus far, positives are: fairly easy to install + remove from the truck as long as you can lift 90 lbs or have a buddy. Negatives are: campsite setup looks a little more complicated than I hoped (including removal of the “Aeroflap”)

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Someone has to be the guinea pig! Thus far, positives are: fairly easy to install + remove from the truck as long as you can lift 90 lbs or have a buddy. Negatives are: campsite setup looks a little more complicated than I hoped (including removal of the “Aeroflap”)
Any chance of you posting a vid zoomed out of you setting it up for the first time? Interested tos ee what it lookslike.

CyberNickOH

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Bronco SAS Badlands
Country flag
In tent mode this doesn’t provide any AC or heat like the other Tesla models, right? Since the rear window doesn’t go down, but maybe I missed something. Otherwise my normal tent will probably work for me.

Spacenoddle

First Name
Nan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
IT
Country flag
When you get pretty proficient on setup, could you clock the time spend for full setup and full take down? Thanks

Wraven

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Foundations CyberBeast, M3P, MYP
Country flag
In tent mode this doesn’t provide any AC or heat like the other Tesla models, right? Since the rear window doesn’t go down, but maybe I missed something. Otherwise my normal tent will probably work for me.
There is no stock ability or tesla aftermarket option to bring heat or AC into the bed. Tent mode is most likely going to keep power on with the outlets and "level" the truck using different PSI in each airbag of the suspension within reason.

SlegMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus
Occupation
Physical therapy
Country flag
AWESOME. Looking forward to this ez camping solution.

Update with setup and uninstall times if you can.

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
When you get pretty proficient on setup, could you clock the time spend for full setup and full take down? Thanks
Yea interested in this, and the first time dumb setup lol.

OP
OP

TownBiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD
Country flag
Agreed - it’s tricky to reach and the standard wrenches they provide don’t make it any easier… a small ratchet wrench should make bolt removal much easier. That said, I am still concerned about the waterproof seal between that piece and the cab being diminished with one removal let alone repeated use over time….

Last edited:
OP
OP

TownBiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD
Country flag
Nice Ripmo!
Lol yaaaas! Is it crazy that one of my go/no go criteria for keeping this expensive tent is whether or not I can fit my bike in the bed while it’s installed? Still works at an angle , but multiple bikes will require tent removal.
Sponsored

Reactions: REM