Battery for the Giga Texas Model Y - not starting with 4680?

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have heard that the Model Y at Giga Texas will not start with the 4680 battery and it will be year or two before that happens ......that all Texas start-up production for Y's will be 2170s....is this true?
Sponsored

Foxx

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, Outback, Eventually a damn Cybertruck
Occupation
Flight Nurse/paramedic/Fire medic, Major USAF
Country flag
Truth and speculation do not seem to be compatible. I’d like to see 4680 cells yesterday. Hope 4680 production is farther along than we can assume/speculate.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
I have heard that the Model Y at Giga Texas will not start with the 4680 battery and it will be year or two before that happens ......that all Texas start-up production for Y's will be 2170s....is this true?
it's rumor. wait for January 26.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Tesla said at the last warnings call that Austin Model Ys will use 4680 cells, initially imported from Fremont, in a structural battery pack. That is what I expect until Tesla says otherwise.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Tesla said at the last warnings call that Austin Model Ys will use 4680 cells, initially imported from Fremont, in a structural battery pack. That is what I expect until Tesla says otherwise.
yup.... anything else comes from a short seller trying to manipulate stock prices.

uff_da

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I agree that this is speculation and we will hopefully get more details in Wednesday.

That said I am curious if anyone has seen any lab testing data on the 4680. I believe Elon himself has said that battery claims are meaningless without lab data to support them. It would sure give us more confidence to see some test data to support the battery day claims.

Anyone else feel this way?

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
I agree that this is speculation and we will hopefully get more details in Wednesday.

That said I am curious if anyone has seen any lab testing data on the 4680. I believe Elon himself has said that battery claims are meaningless without lab data to support them. It would sure give us more confidence to see some test data to support the battery day claims.

Anyone else feel this way?
yes.... facts are always better than claims.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
How hard would it be to make a structural pack out of 2170. I am taking apart of Telsa S module with 1850 cells now, it is amazingly strong.

I wonder if Tesla is having some troubles with the 4680s. Even a 1/100 reject rate would not be acceptable. Who knows what their testing is telling them.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
How hard would it be to make a structural pack out of 2170. I am taking apart of Telsa S module with 1850 cells now, it is amazingly strong.
It wouldn't make a structural pack. You'd need more cross-bars and sections. It would weigh more. They had an example in Berlin.

I wonder if Tesla is having some troubles with the 4680s. Even a 1/100 reject rate would not be acceptable. Who knows what their testing is telling them.
The rumor is they started using cells with a success rate over 80%. As long as they catch the failures, it doesn't matter the failure rate except reducing their output.

-Crissa

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
IIRC at one point Elon said that they had a "backup plan" to use 2170s if the 4680s weren't ready. That maybe what you are hearing now.

Wait for Jan 26.

It's going to be a LONG week......

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag

a 99% battery success rate would be great ....more product for example is wasted in making TV panels.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag