Benefits? of black

dw321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500, Toytota 4 Runner, Bikonit Ebike
Country flag
Do you think the black Cybertruck would be of benefit in keeping the battery warm in cold climates or would black make the battery too hot on hot days causing the need to cool the battery more?
Sponsored

Wolfgram

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Occupation
CTO
Country flag
I don’t know that the color of the exterior shell will impact the temp of battery pack way down in the underbelly of Cybertruck. 🤔

OP
OP

dw321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Me either. Was just wondering what the thinking is

Regenshire

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 RWD LR, Model Y Perf, CyberTruck AWD Order
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Neither, it would have no noticeable effect on the battery temps.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
It probably won't increase battery temperature directly, but the black will heat up the cabin more and will mean that the HVAC will have to work harder to cool the cabin, and use more battery to do so. That means a black car will also get less range in hot weather. Black will absorb about 2x the heat in comparison to the unpolished SS. Polished it would be even less.

Black would also cool faster in colder temperatures, meaning it would take more battery energy to heat the cabin as well. Overall black increase heat flow, so it would get both hotter on hot days, and colder on cool days. Especially the matt black.

Black is also less visible on the road, so there's a safety element as well. If you live in more moderate climates you might be able to get away with it though.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
It probably won't increase battery temperature directly, but the black will heat up the cabin more and will mean that the HVAC will have to work harder to cool the cabin, and use more battery to do so. That means a black car will also get less range in hot weather. Black will absorb about 2x the heat in comparison to the unpolished SS. Polished it would be even less.

Black would also cool faster in colder temperatures, meaning it would take more battery energy to heat the cabin as well. Overall black increase heat flow, so it would get both hotter on hot days, and colder on cool days. Especially the matt black.

Black is also less visible on the road, so there's a safety element as well. If you live in more moderate climates you might be able to get away with it though.
JB,

There is a piston air-cooled engine shop that paints all their engines black, claiming it improves cooling. What do you think?

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
JB,

There is a piston air-cooled engine shop that paints all their engines black, claiming it improves cooling. What do you think?
Yep probably does.

But only if the hood is closed and the sun doesn't shine on it. ;) 🤣

Emissivity is the key.

(PS And I thought I'd have write even more about moderate climates to make you happy...;))

OP
OP

dw321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Good info - thanks

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I think the 'we paint things black to increase radiative effect' is nonsensical. Adding layers of materials will almost always create an interface or mass barrier to shedding heat. It's going to vary, by material, how conductive the material interface is, etc.

But you generally don't want to cover thermal emitters because the covering is an insulator (before any difference in color is noted).

Teslas do shift therms from the cabin to the battery and vice versa. So yeah, a black one might be better in the cold.

🤷‍♀️

We definitely know black is worse where there is more days of heating, say Phoenix, because then heating > emitting there.

-Crissa

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
I think the 'we paint things black to increase radiative effect' is nonsensical. Adding layers of materials will almost always create an interface or mass barrier to shedding heat. It's going to vary, by material, how conductive the material interface is, etc.

But you generally don't want to cover thermal emitters because the covering is an insulator (before any difference in color is noted).

Teslas do shift therms from the cabin to the battery and vice versa. So yeah, a black one might be better in the cold.

🤷‍♀️

We definitely know black is worse where there is more days of heating, say Phoenix, because then heating > emitting there.

-Crissa
I keep the bottoms of my camping pots black, they really bring water to boil quicker and use less fuel needed for cooking.

OP
OP

dw321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I keep the bottoms of my camping pots black, they really bring water to boil quicker and use less fuel needed for cooking.
Try washing them on occassion

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
I do the same with my underwear for the same reason.