First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/ev-tax-credit-price-increase-suv-truck/

Changes. Capped at earners making $250k and $500k joint. But now useable for trucks up to $80k.
Thatā€™s a lot of headroom for Model Y upgrades. Also leaves a bit more headroom for adding options to the Cybertruck.

After thinking on it a bit, Iā€™m pretty sure Tesla is going to come out like bandits here. (If it passes) This will pretty much guarantee Tesla will be able sell every car/ truck/ & CyberQuad they can produce for a decade. Since nobody else will be able to produce more than a handful of EVs for 5 years or so, Tesla is going to gobble up the auto market in the US with or without a $4500 handicap.

Iā€™m far less concerned with the PHEV loophole than I was. It still stupid, but I think consumer sentiment and the fact that EVs are just much better and more reliable than PHEVs will win the day.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Caps are too high in my opinion. However, upgrade to tri-motor may be in my future. I mean, if you all insist on paying the incentive portion.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Caps are too high in my opinion. However, upgrade to tri-motor may be in my future. I mean, if you all insist on paying the incentive portion.
Was sold on the dual. I still think thatā€™s where the best value is. But I really want that 500 miles.

Plusā€¦ TSLA has been really nice to me lately.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I recently looked up the Mercedes EQS price. If reasonable, would review if worthwhile for wife. Since it starts at 108k and performance Features lackluster, did not go any further.

where is the Tesla M2 for 30k plus 7,500 instant credit? $22,500 is an attractive proposition.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Was sold on the dual.
I booked the dual, more than meets my needs and at the end of day will most likely stay with dual.

0-60 craziness fantasy makes me want to tell my wife, ā€you need to wait a few more additional years until your next vehicle.ā€

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I booked the dual, more than meets my needs and at the end of day will most likely stay with dual.

0-60 craziness fantasy makes me want to tell my wife, ā€you need to wait a few more additional years until your next vehicle.ā€
Wife gets $22.5k Tesla.

John K gets 0-60 in 2.9 seconds.

As a side note, maybe Tesla is buying the trademark for the Yugo brand name for their $25k car.

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Was sold on the dual. I still think thatā€™s where the best value is. But I really want that 500 miles.

Plusā€¦ TSLA has been really nice to me lately.
Donā€™t worry, by the time we actually see CTā€™s rolling off the production line the latest battery tech will probably be up there.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Tesla is going to gobble up the auto market in the US with or without a $4500 handicap.

Iā€™m far less concerned with the PHEV loophole than I was. It still stupid, but I think consumer sentiment and the fact that EVs are just much better and more reliable than PHEVs will win the day.
Unfortunately based on recent performance I would not bet on general public

Remember since American legacy auto OEMs and Toyota can not ship EVs in volume they all will be advertising for consumers to buy hybrids. The media will support this effort.

They will use fear which always seems to work.

1. Range anxiety
2. EVs spontaneously catch fire & explode

I do think Tesla will still sell all they can make but the rest of the market will be hybrids because the $8,500 total for U.S. union made PHEVs. This will mostly slow sales of non-Tesla EVs.

The adoption rate would be much higher without the $8,500 thumb on the scale.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Unfortunately based on recent performance I would not bet on general public

Remember since American legacy auto OEMs and Toyota can not ship EVs in volume they all will be advertising for consumers to buy hybrids. The media will support this effort.

They will use fear which always seems to work.

1. Range anxiety
2. EVs spontaneously catch fire & explode

I do think Tesla will still sell all they can make but the rest of the market will be hybrids because the $8,500 total for U.S. union made PHEVs. This will mostly slow sales of non-Tesla EVs.

The adoption rate would be much higher without the $8,500 thumb on the scale.
Right now, the American car makers donā€™t have a ton of plug in hybrids.

So they have a quandary. Do they spend money and effort building creating new PHEVs to take advantage of this windfall, or do they spend it building out their EV fleet? Itā€˜s likely a lot less expensive to bolt an EV motor and small battery to an existing truck and pocket the $8500, but people who buy EVs tend to stop buying ICE cars entirely. Not a lot of Tesla buyers going to be tempted by a plug in.

Short term profits or long term viability? Its a tough call for Wall Street backed auto makers.

Regardless of what they do, Tesla is selling every single EV they make and more than doubling the number of cars they produce every ~2 years or so. Those are customers GM/ Ford never sees again.

Also, lots of cars made by Toyota, VW, Honda, Hyundai which donā€™t qualify for the $4500 as well.

Ultimately, those companies are going to be far more impacted by this than Tesla. Toyota has a lot of cars which might qualify for the $4000 PHEV base, but donā€™t qualify for the union bonus or the full battery bonus. Toyotas already sell for a premium. How many people are buying a Prius when itā€™s not much less than the cost of the Model 3?
Sponsored