cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Aluminum can be anodized. Not steel of any sort though. Typically, you might see steel powder coated.

So your options on the CT are powder coating (brittle), Rhino liner (heavy), plastidip (2 years), vinyl (size limitations), or paint (standard).
there’s black oxide?

Tesla Cybertruck Black Cybertruck looking so stealth at night 🥷🏻 1699274795526

Probably requires factory treatment

but some DIYs do smaller bits at home

Tesla Cybertruck Black Cybertruck looking so stealth at night 🥷🏻 1699275197844
Sponsored

Trbizwiz

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 RWD, Dodge Challenger
Occupation
Logistics
Country flag
I hope someone from day one does this!! If we can just spray some crap on there and make it look like the one in the video, I am in!!!!!! I was planning on wrapping, but this would be so much easier.

KrodEKid

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota corolla, Mazda 5
Country flag
Look at the hood… It is on the same plane as the windshield. There is NO way for there to be glare from the hood in your eyes.
You are quite correct. I think it is that angle of incidence thing. you could only get glare from a horizontal hood when the sun is on the horizon. As the hood is angled down on the CT the reflected light angles upward away from the windshield.
I hope you're hyothesis is right that no wrap is needed, but reflected light and glare are not the same. Glare more specifically is scattered light. It is more noticeable in rain, fog and snow (or bad vision). Reflections may increase the amount of glare - like a wet road.

The hood isn't too big, and not in the drivers line of sight so it may not be an issue. But hear my reasoning. Since light will be reflecting off the hood (in some angle of incidence) more light will be scattered in your line of sight thus causing more glare - especially in rain, fog, or snowy conditions.

The best way to know for sure is to try with and without a reflective surface in conditions that cause glare and decide whether or not it's less bothersome. Hence my phrasing "might be convinced" to try it.

But hopefully it's a non issue. I thoroughly dislike glare and would be willing to darken the hood if I sensed there was more glare while driving my CT.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I hope you're hyothesis is right that no wrap is needed, but reflected light and glare are not the same. Glare more specifically is scattered light. It is more noticeable in rain, fog and snow (or bad vision). Reflections may increase the amount of glare - like a wet road.

The hood isn't too big, and not in the drivers line of sight so it may not be an issue. But hear my reasoning. Since light will be reflecting off the hood (in some angle of incidence) more light will be scattered in your line of sight thus causing more glare - especially in rain, fog, or snowy conditions.

The best way to know for sure is to try with and without a reflective surface in conditions that cause glare and decide whether or not it's less bothersome. Hence my phrasing "might be convinced" to try it.

But hopefully it's a non issue. I thoroughly dislike glare and would be willing to darken the hood if I sensed there was more glare while driving my CT.
You'd need a bright light source (like the sun) at the right angle, plus something to reflect the light back into your eyes (like fog, water spray, dust) that didn't otherwise reduce the amount of sunlight coming into your eyes.

All that while increasing your absorption rate of heat from sunlight any time there was sun baking whatever is in your frunk just to mitigate this edge case situation?

-Crissa

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
You'd need a bright light source (like the sun) at the right angle, plus something to reflect the light back into your eyes (like fog, water spray, dust) that didn't otherwise reduce the amount of sunlight coming into your eyes.

All that while increasing your absorption rate of heat from sunlight any time there was sun baking whatever is in your frunk just to mitigate this edge case situation?

-Crissa
Anything with enough reflectivity to really cause a problem (fog, dust) is going to limit the amount of direct light making the frunk reflection a non-issue. You’re then more likely to get glare from the sunlight going directly through the obstruction to visibility. I think by the time you get enough reflective material in the air, you’ve lost the reflection off of the frunk.

CYBRSMTH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
Country flag
Looks awesome. Is that one of the self-healing urethane wraps? Someone needs to come out with a Knight Rider light kit for the front bar. David Hasselhoff eat your heart out.

mhaze

First Name
mhike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3; Smartcar; F150 Raptor; Avalanche 2500 4x4
Country flag
I might be convinced to do a single sheet of black wrap over hood to reduce glare like some airplanes (and cheetahs) do. I generally like the idea of keeping stainless
After you have seen the matte black, the stainless looks ... naked ...

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I just encountered a black wrapped Cybertruck this morning in the wild. Southbound on the 405 fwy just south of the 10 heading the opposite direction as me. No time for a picture. 8:40 AM.

pretty awesome in the daylight too and has me considering again a murder out wrap design.

I wish I was heading the same direction for pictures

CYBRSMTH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
Country flag
Is it possible to make a tempered stainless that color, or does it HAVE to be wrapped for that particular color?
People have talked about this in the past alluding to shades of blue or something like that. Apparently altering the stainless in any way could potentially weaken it, so not worth it. A wrap is your best bet for alternative colors, which is why Tesla is experimenting with them.
Sponsored

Last edited: