Bloomberg CityLab: What Happened to Pickup Trucks?

ZARDOZ

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
IT
Country flag
As my friends used to joke our ridiculously yuge truck owning buddy. And he is an office worker.

The size of his truck is inversely proportional to the size of his manhood..
How did you get to see his manhood; sneaking peeks in bathroom, circle jerk, or dating?
Sponsored

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
And he is an office worker.
Careful, I'm guessing a lot of us on this forum are office workers.

How did you get to see his manhood; sneaking peeks in bathroom, circle jerk, or dating?
Are you implying the three options are mutually exclusive?
They are not. :)

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
Careful, I'm guessing a lot of us on this forum are office workers.

Are you implying the three options are mutually exclusive?
They are not. :)
I work at an office, I don't have big truck and I have an extremely happy wife.

So there must be a strong correlation there somewhere.:p:p

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
I work at an office, I don't have big truck and I have an extremely happy wife.

So there must be a strong correlation there somewhere.:p:p

You might want to start working from home to find out why your wife is so happy. 😬

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Pickup truck grills replaced rodeo belt buckles as the measure of the owner's manhood...

Screenshot 2023-05-17 at 23.46.46.png
Pickup truck grills replaced rodeo belt buckles as the inverse measure of the owner's manhood...

There... Fixed it for you.

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
Here’s ACTUALLY what happened.

an arms race for Payload ratings, off road capability and max towing capacity which required much bigger frames, bigger axles and much more HQ/TQ which required much larger radiators, intercoolers etc etc etc.

Making them “look menacing” is really just a byproduct of design competition to package all the really big, really powerful trucks.

the first truck I ever bought (and still have) was a 2500 dodge with a 5.9L cummins with mechanical injection and a 5 speed manual transmission. Its mostly pink now but at the time it looked just like the truck from the movie Twister.

However it rides like a dump truck, accelerates like a tractor and compared to modern HD trucks is a joke spec wise, having 160hp/400tq IIRC and a tow rating around 10,000lbs.

today’s trucks have ~ 500HP/1000TQ and tow ratings that can go all the way up to 40000lbs.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
today’s trucks have ~ 500HP/1000TQ and tow ratings that can go all the way up to 40000lbs.
So they can pick up groceries at Costco.

This arms race is 99% bullshit. Exceedingly few trucks need this kind of capacity. They’ve overbuilt them to the point where they are dangerous and wasteful.

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
So they can pick up groceries at Costco.

This arms race is 99% bullshit. Exceedingly few trucks need this kind of capacity. They’ve overbuilt them to the point where they are dangerous and wasteful.
is a 0-60 in 3 seconds and “up to” 3500lbs of payload important for all the CTs heading to the mall?

if you’re saying you should have to have a business license to purchase vehicles with commercial capabilities, I support that because ill still quality to get a CT. Will you? At least 90% of the people in here won’t

otherwise people should be free to chose what suits them, no matter what type of powertrain that is. Trucks are sold on what they COULD do not what they WILL do

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
is a 0-60 in 3 seconds and “up to” 3500lbs of payload important for all the CTs heading to the mall?
You talking about the Cybertruck which does not have a giant child killing hood?

You used all this horsepower and performance to justify the super dangerous hood design. The Cybertruck doesn’t make that safety compromise.

if you’re saying you should have to have a business license to purchase vehicles with commercial capabilities, I support that because ill still quality to get a CT. Will you? At least 90% of the people in here won’t

otherwise people should be free to chose what suits them, no matter what type of powertrain that is. Trucks are sold on what they COULD do not what they WILL do
No, what I’m saying is vehicles should be built to be as safe as possible for everyone on the road, not just the occupants. If there is a legitimate reason to compromise safety, then you can make a case. There is zero reason to carry this forward with Electric trucks for ICE trucks it’s only justified in fairly uncommon cases, yet we see these trucks all over the road.
Sponsored