KuMX

First Name
Ku
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model X
Country flag
https://insideevs.com/news/692836/tesla-cybertruck-tommy-gun-bulletproof-test/amp/

Can The Tesla Cybertruck Stop Bullets From A Tommy Gun? An Expert Weighs In

A forensics expert said higher velocity rifle bullets from modern weapons would penetrate the Cybertruck’s stainless steel.

"The size of the impact marks suggests it's a Thompson .45 Auto machine gun," said Jay Jarvis of Atlanta-based Arma Forensics, a firm that specializes in ballistics and firearms analysis. "I do not see any penetration but keep in mind the .45 Auto has a muzzle velocity of less than 1,000 feet per second. I would have rather seen them shoot it with a .223/5.56mm [bullet diameter inches/mm] or 7.62x39mm [bullet diameter x cartridge length] as these are more common than the Tommy Gun." Jarvis is right; while the Tommy Gun probably makes for a fun prop, it's awfully outdated compared to modern weapons.

“I would expect higher velocity rifle bullets, especially armor-piercing bullets, to penetrate this steel,” Jarvis said. As per one website, a .223 bullet could have a muzzle velocity – the speed at which the bullet leaves the muzzle of a gun – of over three times that of the Tommy Gun.
Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
https://insideevs.com/news/692836/tesla-cybertruck-tommy-gun-bulletproof-test/amp/

A forensics expert said higher velocity rifle bullets from modern weapons would penetrate the Cybertruck’s stainless steel.

"The size of the impact marks suggests it's a Thompson .45 Auto machine gun," said Jay Jarvis of Atlanta-based Arma Forensics, a firm that specializes in ballistics and firearms analysis. "I do not see any penetration but keep in mind the .45 Auto has a muzzle velocity of less than 1,000 feet per second. I would have rather seen them shoot it with a .223/5.56mm [bullet diameter inches/mm] or 7.62x39mm [bullet diameter x cartridge length] as these are more common than the Tommy Gun." Jarvis is right; while the Tommy Gun probably makes for a fun prop, it's awfully outdated compared to modern weapons.

“I would expect higher velocity rifle bullets, especially armor-piercing bullets, to penetrate this steel,” Jarvis said. As per one website, a .223 bullet could have a muzzle velocity – the speed at which the bullet leaves the muzzle of a gun – of over three times that of the Tommy Gun.
I saw this headline earlier, opened it curious, left disappointed

Tesla: “SS can stop 9mm handgun”

Public: “you sure”

Tesla: “yeah, I mean here it is stopping a .45 rifle - sort of same thing”

Expert: “note, it wouldn’t can’t stop high power rifles or armor piercing bullets”

Article: “CyberTruck not bulletproof”

Bill837

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Z4, 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk, 2008 R1200RT
Occupation
Aviation Weapons/Systems
Country flag
I saw this headline earlier, opened it curious, left disappointed

Tesla: “SS can stop 9mm handgun”

Public: “you sure”

Tesla: “yeah, I mean here it is stopping a .45 rifle - sort of same thing”

Expert: “note, it wouldn’t can’t stop high power rifles or armor piercing bullets”

Article: “CyberTruck not bulletproof”
Yeah, pretty poor, but that's what "journalism" looks like.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Yeah, pretty poor, but that's what "journalism" looks like.
to be fair, this is “insideEV’s” which I’m pretty sure is now just a ChatGPT plug-in that crawls this forum and spits out content

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
to be fair, this is “insideEV’s” which I’m pretty sure is now just a ChatGPT plug-in that crawls this forum and spits out content
InsideEV run's this forum. What did you expect? :LOL:

Last edited:

CyberTruckGlass

Site Sponsor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Glass Manufacturer
Country flag
Per Elon Musk:

"We emptied the entire drum magazine of a Tommy gun into the driver door Al Capone style. No bullets penetrated into the passenger compartment."

f859xqwbkaabr2d-jpeg.jpg

f85-k_ja4aadapk-jpeg.jpg

f85-hj6acaap8dz-jpeg.jpg

We got the solution. Sub $10,000 bulletproof windows. www.cybertruckglass.com. They will roll up and down. Just 15mm thick. Same ballistic protection as the door steel.

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag

I would say Cybertruck stops threat level II-A in most cases.

Tesla Cybertruck Bulletproof tested Cybertruck spotted!!  Musk confirms: "No bullets penetrated into the passenger compartment." [⚠️ ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] Body Armour and Bulletproof Vests - All you need to know! - Lightsaver 2024-02-01 10-40-59
Sponsored