Site Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cybertruckcovers.com
Vehicles
Foundation Series CyberBeast (Order Confirmed)
Occupation
Cybertruck Parts & Accessories Development
Country flag
This happens in san francisco constantly. they usually don't attempt to steal the vehicle, they just go around breaking windows and stealing whatever is inside of the vehicle. Not that car theft doesn't also happen, but it's just lowlifes who are apparently not qualified for a job flipping burgers, trying to steal whatever they can since they get away with it.
This happened to me twice when I lived in SF in the mid-90s and to both of my cars! Glad I'm nowhere near that place anymore!

TheDarkRanger

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1966 Ford 4400 Industrial Tractor, 1995 7.0L Ford Dump Truck, 2000 Dodge Dakota 4wd QuadCab, 2000 F350 4wd, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Park Ranger / Astronomy Entertainer
Country flag
It is disappointing that the 120-lb twerp can break the roof glass by jumping on it.

Maybe he just used his little glass breaker on the edge of the roof-piece to get a crack started?

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck foundation awd
Country flag
It is disappointing that the 120-lb twerp can break the roof glass by jumping on it.

Maybe he just used his little glass breaker on the edge of the roof-piece to get a crack started?
Could also break the tonneau by jumping on it. I keep waiting for the first reviewer to not realize that "can handle 300 lbs" doesn't mean "300 lb person can jump up and down on it", and break their tonneau in half. Physics are hard to overcome. Standing on vs jumping/stomping on are very different. Would have to be polycarbonate instead of glass to be resistant to impacts, but then it would scratch easily. So laminated glass that will crack but not yield is the best answer we have.

TheDarkRanger

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1966 Ford 4400 Industrial Tractor, 1995 7.0L Ford Dump Truck, 2000 Dodge Dakota 4wd QuadCab, 2000 F350 4wd, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Park Ranger / Astronomy Entertainer
Country flag
Could also break the tonneau by jumping on it. I keep waiting for the first reviewer to not realize that "can handle 300 lbs" doesn't mean "300 lb person can jump up and down on it", and break their tonneau in half. Physics are hard to overcome. Standing on vs jumping/stomping on are very different. Would have to be polycarbonate instead of glass to be resistant to impacts, but then it would scratch easily. So laminated glass that will crack but not yield is the best answer we have.
Ah hah!

The old KE = 1/2mv^2 explanation.

I like physics too! Especially how mathy it can be.

Pretty sure force absorbed as energy lost to punks shoes (I'm okay pretending the glass = near-zero shock adsoption... for sake of argument), would require a time duration of energy transfer, which if my public school education was any good is:

F × delta-t = delta-p (momentum)

And then some due consideration should be given to:

Pressure = Force/X-sectional area of the impactor

Maybe if somebody guessed at the unknowns and did that math they come to the conclusion that it might be kind of exhausting for low-mass criminals to clout Teslas, by doing sic jump-kicks against Tesla glass, regardless of orientation to gravity?

Have you seen pile-up pictures where other cars, rather violently ended up on the cracked but definitely unbroken roofs of Teslas? Anecdotal evidence?

Not sure clouters have done the math but they might have experience many of don't. How else could they stay "business?" There might be lots of good reasons why they just carry and expertly use window-punches instead of sledge-hammers. And it wouldn't surprise me that's the tool you start with when trying to go thru a glass roof.

I apologize if I ruined anybody's fun who was enjoying "jumping" to conclusions about how the roof glass broke.

And I'll be happy (and if necessary contrite), to see somebody with less love for their future CyberTruck, than I'll have for mine, test and post result that do or don't verify the jumping hypothesis.

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
That's too bad. I was excited for the truck and the brick.
The original video is pretty wild, the brick just bounces back hard off the car glass.

Mudduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ct3
Country flag
it looks like he first used a spark plug
It didn't work on the rear glass
THen he got one of those spring glass breaker things and that didn't work either so he tried to jump on the roof and break it

This is really good. I'm curious if he was a noob so his technique was wrong?
"spring glass breaker things" a.k.a. a PIN PUNCH in the mechanical world.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag