Buyer's Remorse?

Cyber Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne, Awaiting Cyberbeast
Country flag
You are right, supply is not a problem, but demand is. Tesla goes by how many people “actively use” the super charger. Have you ever been in a situation where you went to this most popular super charger, and it was extremely crowded, and you had to wait forever to charge? If you say Yes, I might have to seriously consider cancelling my CB reservation. :p

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Upgrading a Supercharger will probably cost more than installing a new one. And since new ones are more desirable, that's what Tesla does, they just add new ones.

250kW stations are a LOT different from 150kW stations. As a simple visible difference, the cables to the cars are SMALLER for the higher current connections. That's because they are liquid cooled. Yea, they have pumps to pump the liquid around.

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck foundation awd
Country flag
Upgrading a Supercharger will probably cost more than installing a new one. And since new ones are more desirable, that's what Tesla does, they just add new ones.

250kW stations are a LOT different from 150kW stations. As a simple visible difference, the cables to the cars are SMALLER for the higher current connections. That's because they are liquid cooled. Yea, they have pumps to pump the liquid around.
Even if it's not "more", it's probably a very high percentage of what a fresh install costs. I imagine upgrading a 150kW to 250kW costs 80-90% of what installing a fresh one costs. Even if they have to rip out all of the equipment including the copper, they probably spent some money making the mounts for the chargers and the big transformer boxes.

But still in that equation, it makes more sense to spend 10-20% more and put a faster charger 20 miles away or something like that. Upgrading an existing station does not increase the number of superchargers that exist, but putting another station some distance away does. Near me, there's a 72kW station, and then maybe 3 or 4 miles away they put a 250kW station, rather than upgrade the existing one.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Near me, there's a 72kW station, and then maybe 3 or 4 miles away they put a 250kW station, rather than upgrade the existing one.
The 72 kW mall charging station. They make a lot of sense, they just didn't see much adoption. Probably because Simon wanted too much to install them.

For those that don't realize the nice part of the 72kW charger, the great part is that the charged slower. ??? Why is this nice? Because you don't have to stop shopping to go out and unplug your vehicle when full. And they are often installed in large numbers.

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck foundation awd
Country flag
The 72 kW mall charging station. They make a lot of sense, they just didn't see much adoption. Probably because Simon wanted too much to install them.

For those that don't realize the nice part of the 72kW charger, the great part is that the charged slower. ??? Why is this nice? Because you don't have to stop shopping to go out and unplug your vehicle when full. And they are often installed in large numbers.
It wasn't nice until the 250kW was installed just up the road. But this was a really early station. 2012, maybe earlier. Only 5 stations. And, I don't at all fault them for doing it the way they did, it makes perfect sense. Why upgrade this 5 station charger that is often crowded when they can put an additional 10 station charger just up the road. More stations is always better than less stations.

Cyber Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It wasn't nice until the 250kW was installed just up the road. But this was a really early station. 2012, maybe earlier. Only 5 stations. And, I don't at all fault them for doing it the way they did, it makes perfect sense. Why upgrade this 5 station charger that is often crowded when they can put an additional 10 station charger just up the road. More stations is always better than less stations.
I hope Tesla starts installing pull through chargers by default for all new installations. It’ll help CT adoption significantly.

I don’t know whether they have an option to install super chargers at rest area pull throughs. They have to cut a deal with city council and run the wires. The space and infrastructure is already there. It’ll be so amazing to have all major rest areas have Tesla V4 superchargers. It might help Semis as well. :love:

cyberboi

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
turbo
Country flag
So the straw-man argument about 3500HD dually was intentional. Ok.

But that still doesn't explain why the cybertruck is lower duty than current year Silverado 1500/f150/Sierra/RAM 1500. Or why the cyberbeast tows 20% less than an f150 (which was specifically promised).

I didn't expect it to compete in the 250s, but I expected it to outperform the 150s. It doesn't, and its twice the price of an f150.
💯

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I hope Tesla starts installing pull through chargers by default for all new installations. It’ll help CT adoption significantly.

I don’t know whether they have an option to install super chargers at rest area pull throughs. They have to cut a deal with city council and run the wires. The space and infrastructure is already there. It’ll be so amazing to have all major rest areas have Tesla V4 superchargers. It might help Semis as well. :love:
Pull-through locations are often dictated by the geography and property owner.

Not sure why you think rest areas are that great. Most don't have enough power and most have marginal snack choices.

Most of the existing Superchargers are immediately adjacent to the Interstates and located near real food options. Egress is just as quick as rest areas.
And rest areas aren't that prevalent. With 3 major Interstates in GA, each only has 2 rest areas.

Celiboy

First Name
Marcel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, 2022 Model Y, 2024 AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
Family Nurse Practitioner, Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Country flag

I hope the future involves more pull through chargers also. My concern is with Tesla expanding the use of superchargers to other manufacturers, will there be a line of Lightnings and Rivian’s pulling trailers lining up also? Not to mention non-trailered vehicles parking and charging because they’re the only stalls available. Hopefully that’s not the case but I wouldn’t be surprised.

Cyber Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not sure why you think rest areas are that great.
Mainly to accelerate the availability of pull through chargers. Land next to interstates are premium properties. Acquiring them, getting permits, etc. is a long haul process, even if you are willing to pay lot of money. Rest areas seem to be a great option as the infrastructure already exists. I’m not saying just install super chargers only in rest areas. It’s good to start with them to have more pull through chargers.

I’m not sure about GA, but in west coast, especially around the mountains, it’s not easy to find land next to Interstates at ideal intervals to build pull through charging network. Leveraging existing infra might save money compared to building things from scratch.

Last edited:

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I hope the future involves more pull through chargers also. My concern is with Tesla expanding the use of superchargers to other manufacturers, will there be a line of Lightnings and Rivian’s pulling trailers lining up also? Not to mention non-trailered vehicles parking and charging because they’re the only stalls available. Hopefully that’s not the case but I wouldn’t be surprised.
Let's add all the other EVs to the list. The total number really didn't change when I did this.
And it gave Tesla more capital to install more Superchargers.
Sponsored