ModelAZ

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Ordered
Country flag
Can The Tesla Cybertruck Repel Stray Bullets?

Via https://cleantechnica.com/2021/02/18/can-the-tesla-cybertruck-repel-stray-bullets/

February 18, 2021

Inside EVs recently interviewed Sandy Munro, a well known automotive industry expert. He said one of the reasons he’ll be buying a Cybertruck is so that stray rounds from other hunters wouldn’t “put a hole in” it.

“I used to go hunting a lot (before the pandemic), and all hunters are worried about stray bullets,” Mr. Munro said to Inside EVs. “I heard through the grapevine that the stainless steel that they got will deflect the bullet. If something like that happened, I wouldn’t want to find a hole in my car.”

But would it really protect itself from a highly unlikely stray rifle shot? As a firearms instructor, I know a few things about guns. Let’s find out.

As we can see in the video (many of us already saw this in 2019), the truck can stop a 9mm pistol round, as long as it hits the metal and not the windows. Tesla obviously doesn’t think people will buy a Cybertruck to protect themselves from getting shot, but they did think that taking rounds would show how tough the truck’s body is. They also hit it with a hammer.

But, as a friend on Twitter pointed out, a handgun is a lot weaker than a rifle.

For both CleanTechnica and The Truth About Guns, I decided to have some fun and run some numbers on this.

First off, muzzle velocity isn’t relevant here. Nobody is going to shoot the Cybertruck from an inch away. The further the bullet flies through the air, the more speed and energy it loses to drag, eventually losing all of its energy. The 9mm handgun Tesla used to hit the Cybertruck metal was at a distance of 10 meters (around 33 feet).

Feeding this into an online ballistics calculator (assuming a pretty average 9mm full metal jacket training round), at 10 yards the energy is about 379 ft-lb, and we know that the Cybertruck’s skin can withstand that.

If a hunter shoots your truck from only 30–33 feet away, that’s not a “stray round.” That’s either done intentionally or through pretty severe negligence. One of the gun rules owners should memorize is “never point a gun at anything you don’t want to destroy.” Hunting rifles are pretty accurate, and they often use magnified optics (a “scope”) to aim precisely at targets up to hundreds of yards/meters away.

Stray rounds happen when the target is missed, and usually end up in a tree or in the ground behind the animal that’s being hunted. There’s usually some terrain in the woods that would keep a round from going directly from the gun to your truck that’s parked at the road. To hit your truck, the bullet would fly high, and go over the earth, rocks, and trees, often going well over 1,000 yards before striking something.

So, the real question here is, when does a .308 Winchester (aka 7.62mm NATO) run out of steam and have less energy than a 9mm? To test this, I assumed a 168 grain Hornady A-MAX bullet (common in hunting) was fired from a typical powder load and average barrel.

Tesla Cybertruck Can Tesla Cybertruck Actually Stop Bullets? Technical Analysis by a Firearms Instructor [** NO POLITICAL DISCUSSIONS **] Screenshot-from-2021-02-17-23-49-47

According to the calculations, this bullet would drop to below 9mm energy at just before 1300 yards, and would have dropped 896 inches (almost 75 feet or 23 meters) from the point of aim (assuming a 100-yard zero) by this point.

If someone shot high, the bullet flew through the air, and it fell into your truck after more than 1300 yards, this stray round likely wouldn’t punch a hole in the Cybertruck.

Thus, Sandy Munro is correct. The Cybertruck indeed would be a good truck to not get messed up if something like this happened out hunting.

This Isn’t Terribly Likely, Though
The chances of this actually happening are very low, though.

Let’s look at El Paso, Texas, for example. During the worst years of the cartel wars just over the river in Ciudad Juarez, it was statistically the most dangerous city on the planet to live in, even beating Baghdad, and this was during the height of the Iraq War. El Paso, on the other hand, was still one of the safest cities in America.

With all of the shooting going on in Juarez, you’d think a lot of people would be hit by stray bullets in El Paso, but that only happened once.

I’m not saying that stray bullets from a hunter’s gun never hurt anyone (you can find lots of stories of this happening on Google), but when you consider just how many people hunt every year and how rarely this happens, you’d have to be one of the most unlucky hunters on the planet for someone to hit you or your Cybertruck. You’re more likely to die in a car wreck on the way to or from the woods.

One of the reasons this is so rare is another gun safety rule people learn in Hunter’s Ed: “Know your target and what’s beyond it.” Almost everyone hunting knows that you can’t take a shot if you don’t know where the bullet will go if you miss or it passes through.

Where The Cybertruck’s Protection Will More Likely Be Tested
Your car is more likely to be shot by a criminal or a police officer with a pistol than a hunter with a rifle, and you’ll find many more criminals and cops in the city. That’s also where most Cybertrucks will roam.

Teslas have already been shot, and every story I can find of this happening was in the city. For example, some lunatic shot at a Model S in Nashville last month. Nobody knows who they were or why they did it, but it was caught on the car’s camera.

Before readers jump into the comments telling us that this is why they don’t live in the States, keep in mind that incidents like this are still extremely rare, even here. You’re more likely to be struck by lightning or die from choking, no matter what country you live in. However, stray bullets in the city are far more likely to hit a Cybertruck than those from a hunter. It’s just numbers.

Nobody buying a Cybertruck is going to buy one because they think it’s going to save them from a bullet. They’re going to buy it because they think it will be tough and durable, and that’s where the conversation actually gets serious.
Sponsored

Cymerax

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo S40, ordered Cybertruck dual-motor AWD
Country flag
The OP starts off posing one question, "will the TCT repel spray bullets?", and the proceeds not to answer the question but instead wanders off into topics like gun handling rules and the likelihood of such an event ever happening, which isn't the point at all.

YES, we understand that chances are pretty high that the average person, hunter or no, will never have to deal with such a scenario in their lifetimes. However that isn't a guarantee of any kind, and if life has taught me anything, it's that these rare and even bizarre occurrences DO HAPPEN, and I (like many others) believe in living by the motto, "Prepare for the worst but hope for the best". So any attempt to belittle or downplay this added benefit/protection is missing the point.

Of course there are no Cybertrucks available at the moment on which to further test said hypothesis so until Sandy Munroe gets his mitts on one to tear into (and who could well be tempted to put this claim to further testing), this is probably going to remain unanswered.

The only caveat being if someone, say a Tesla/SpaceX employee, gets a hold of a sample of the special cold-rolled stainless alloy and then sets it up in such a way that it would fairly accurately represent the CT body and then proceeded to do some ballistic testing on it. That would be interesting to see, could even go viral if a video was made, hint, hint, lol ;?)

egandalf

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
I live in Kentucky. This is the single scariest possibility that I've considered - many times - since ordering my Cybertruck. I know this area extremely well and here there be crazies.

Sad to say, but if it does become an issue, I won't keep the truck. The safety of my family will far outweigh the joy and amazement that is the Cybertruck. I'll sell it and save up for a Rivian or something else less conspicuous.

Let's hope for a live-and-let attitude all around.

CybertruckAgent

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
...keep your truck away from Dick Cheney...
Actually Cheney’s incident involved birdshot which is far smaller and lighter than buckshot, so if his hunting buddy was in a Cybertruck, he’d have likely been unharmed... (cue Tesla satire commercial)

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
i shot an old motorycle helmet, it stopped birdshot in most places, including the facemask

egandalf

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
I will never allow someone to take my joy. If I don't stand up to a bully, who will? That's what lights, cameras, metal is for.

-Crissa
I'm not sure I'd let one incident deter me unless it was extreme. But if my wife isn't comfortable riding along with me because my vehicle is a target? That's a quality of life concern.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
But if my wife isn't comfortable riding along with me because my vehicle is a target? That's a quality of life concern.
True. I can't tell you the right decision for you, only the right decision for society. But as always, do what's safe for you.

-Cissa

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I personally feel that people are worrying about a problem that does not exist. Will there be some a-hole doing that? Guaranteed. Drunk, drug or just plain antisocial in nature; there may be 1, 2, or maybe a handful. Despite what so many falsely believe, the US isn’t the Wild, Wild, West.

maconjt

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hoping to be a Cybertruck owner.
Occupation
FMEA Coordinator
Country flag
I mean lets be honest....the Cybertruck WILL still protect you better than any other current production vehicle out there and it's still priced well. This is standard equipment on the Cyber truck and NOT optional equipment. That speaks VERY well to me.

egandalf

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
I personally feel that people are worrying about a problem that does not exist. Will there be some a-hole doing that? Guaranteed. Drunk, drug or just plain antisocial in nature; there may be 1, 2, or maybe a handful. Despite what so many falsely believe, the US isn’t the Wild, Wild, West.
No politics here but some of the things that happened earlier this year certainly had a much more wild, wild west feel to them.

This thread is focused on fear, really. So my hope is that folks around here are impressed with the vehicle and want to learn more. I'll welcome those conversations. I hope to change minds about what a truck could and should be.

No one's egged my house yet for having solar panels. And, yes, coal country is definitely where that could/would happen. It's not going to stop me from trying.

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I honestly think it was a big mistake for Elon to state this during the reveal. You know people are just crazy enough to test it. "Hey bubba, my trucks bulletproff wanna see? Hold my beer!"

you also know the liability lawyers are just waiting for the first incident where someone gets shot through the door to sue Tesla.

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
I honestly think it was a big mistake for Elon to state this during the reveal. You know people are just crazy enough to test it. "Hey bubba, my trucks bulletproff wanna see? Hold my beer!"

you also know the liability lawyers are just waiting for the first incident where someone gets shot through the door to sue Tesla.
The hammer was enough (and the not as easily cracked window had it worked). Dents are a more familiar metric to most people. Got a lot of attention from stating that other thing though.
Sponsored