First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
... where they carjack ...
I don't mean to pick on you, but this is less common now than it was twenty, thirty, forty years ago.

But was thinking more in line your next sentence: It's a truck. It's meant to do a job. Does it do that job well? Does the simple exterior let it do that job?

And I was rather insulted at his interior pictures, they were very cherry-picked. If you want a warm interior, look at the light-tone pictures under sunlight instead of picking the dark-tone under the industrial rendering. His point about the interior was straight-up misleading.

-Crissa
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I don't mean to pick on you, but this is less common now than it was twenty, thirty, forty years ago.

But was thinking more in line your next sentence: It's a truck. It's meant to do a job. Does it do that job well? Does the simple exterior let it do that job?

And I was rather insulted at his interior pictures, they were very cherry-picked. If you want a warm interior, look at the light-tone pictures under sunlight instead of picking the dark-tone under the industrial rendering. His point about the interior was straight-up misleading.

-Crissa
I was too, but I chose to focus on the things that are irrelevant to us and to ignore the insults. Made me think of Howard Roark in Ayn Rand’s The Fountainhead.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
I thought this was very interesting so I thought I would share. I see his points, don't agree with them all of course. It's interesting to see what someone who is very successful at car design thinks about something so polarizing though.

Well, hopefully we won't hear from him for at least another year, maybe more? Ten?

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
What this guy doesn't understand is that car designers do not have the final word on car design - it's the people he works for, the people who buy his designs that have the final say. Looking over his work makes me gag on all the extraneous visual flourishes that serve no purpose and just make the car look busy. His rounded, simple designs do no look elegant - they look like they were pooped out someone's rectum.

And no person who designed this should be able to be critical of ANY designer's work:
Tesla Cybertruck Car designer Frank Stephenson's view on the Cybertruck 1607670210684

It's the car buying public that gets to vote on car designs and I'll wager the Cybertruck will outsell most, if not all of his designs.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
What this guy doesn't understand is that car designers do not have the final word on car design - it's the people he works for, the people who buy his designs that have the final say. Looking over his work makes me gag on all the extraneous visual flourishes that serve no purpose and just make the car look busy. His rounded, simple designs do no look elegant - they look like they were pooped out someone's rectum.

And no person who designed this should be able to be critical of ANY designer's work:
1607670210684.png

It's the car buying public that gets to vote on car designs and I'll wager the Cybertruck will outsell most, if not all of his designs.
You mean to tell me that ford DIDNT NEED at least three spoilers?

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Oh man, a lot of things getting tossed around here. Basically I look at it like this. There are two types of designers in this world. Designers like this guy who probably go against engineers and add ornament and decoration willy nilly regardless of what is needed.

Then you have designers like Franz and his team at Tesla, who are integrated in with the engineering team, probably almost seamlessly. Who are able to produce designs which have purpose but also meaning. The cybertruck was definitely "designed" and I mean hardcore designed. They took almost everything people understand to be a "Pickup truck" and flipped it on its lid and I fully believe they are going to stomp the competition. They answered questions s like, how tough should a pickup be? how big? ect.. simply beautiful.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I am so happy my future truck is engineered and not "designed".
There is a reason none of the cars he used as an example made it to production as is and Tesla’s production vehicles are not that different than prototype.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I agree with the video but it misses one point, the ct is a truck, it has to work. It's like saying to god, yeah, the curves on a woman's body is great design but you blew it on the cammel.
A cammel’s conversation with GOD may be very different. Some of us think CT is mush sexier than conventional truck (it took me a while though).

Last edited:

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Some of us think CT is mush sexier than conventional truck (it took me a while though).
It took you a while to find it sexy.

it took him over 1 year to calm down enough to get enough emotional distance to say he hated it. I don’t even want to know how unhinged opening night made him.

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
Designers like this guy who probably go against engineers and add ornament and decoration willy nilly regardless of what is needed.
This guy designs McLarens . The P1 Mclaren.
Engineering and Aerodymic Efficiency, Purpose and Performance at the highest level of Hyper cars.

As well as other universally acclaimed Iconic designs.

With all due respect, you have given none to him.
You have no idea at all what you're talking about, and more importantly, what he is talking about.

And sadly you are not alone !

That ugly dual wing on the back of the Sierra is a case of function over form.
i.e. a case of engineering taking precedence over beauty. which some people are crowing about
They needed to double the surface area of the wing for racing homologation ! it didn't make it production.

Its not ornamental, its the opposite. Everyone who put it there, knows its ugly !

P.S. Also I think there's an Easter egg in the video.
There's 4 different shots of the interior. One of them shows a clearly different dash board shape,
steering wheel, and seats, to the shots on the website.

It looks to me to have a smaller rear cabin space ! Perhaps its the Wolverine Cybertruck !

It looks a little like a hasty mockup as far as finish's go. Less of a coherent theme than Original CT.
That steering wheel and column is awful !

By the way, has anyone seen the Lamborghini SUV,
I think the Cybertruck is better looking and more Lambo, than it is !

Especially from the front

Last edited:

BeleeEV

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Country flag
Good catch on that. The middle picture is different. Completely different seats and the back does seem to lack leg room but hard to tell from the angle. One pet peeve I have on the video is for heavens sake STOP saying bullet proof glass!! Instantly makes you look like you didn’t pay any attention and shoots your credibility.

Joe Maw

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fairlane
Occupation
Miner
Country flag
To a car designer the CT makes no sence.
To a truck engineer the CT all makes sence.
The CT look is what happens when the engineering department wins the argument.
Now its up to the customers to decide if they like the product.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Now its up to the customers to decide if they like the product.

Beautifully put. The only authority on what is a good design is the customer that pays the cash. I agree with the premise of the video that beauty matters. I have bought a useless sport car partly for the way it looked and I appreciate beauty as much as the next guy. But on an EV truck, I would not give up anything CT is giving me for a better look (which I have no idea what it would be since the gentleman didn’t offer his perfect design for a truck). I certainly wouldn’t want the Fuzzy Citroen inside CT. That would not go with the exterior and character of this vehicle at all (I may change my mind after a 9 hr road trip). Would I betray you all and hop in a hummer for the same price? In a heartbeat but that will never happen because of the design of the CT.
Sponsored